JAMES CAMERON

Started by modage, June 19, 2003, 01:30:18 PM

pete

archaeology, like meterology, is not an exact science, and they likes to get into these semi-serious disputes from time to time.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

here's what pisses me off about these "events": misinformation on top of NO information before the shit has even screened.

to explain: a joke on leno and a joke on conan. i didn't watch letterman's monologue last night so i don't know if he got all the information wrong either. leno's joke was something like "james cameron has made a documentary that claims to have found the tomb where jesus, his wife, and son were all born." uh,... what the FUCK? that was the set up. as always the structure of monologue jokes for the uninformed goes like this
1. the true part
2. the joke
this is the kind of idiocy that will make any kind of informed discourse impossible.

then conan goes something like "archeologists have discovered a tomb they claim contains the corpses of jesus and his sons" WHAT THE FUCK? yeah it's a joke but it's a horrible set up because its NOT TRUE. i know they just made the announcement a couple days ago or whatever, but this is just embarrassing / depressing. most ppl get their news in bits and pieces from various sources, especially "scandal" pieces like this. from the very beginning this has no chance to be seen fairly. and poor jim's name is getting dragged around.

other idiots.. anyone who talked to jim and semcha jacobovici on larry king last nite. they do pose intereting questions which jim himself admitted were compelling arguments which they considered. he and his mate never raised their voice while they were getting attacked from every angle, jim sarcastically feigned laughter at the cheap shots the baptist whatever fat white guys were saying like "and that's what this is, a work of science fiction" one dude got so owned that's what he resorted to.

i don't know if this is any different to other "secrets revealed" exposés, what i do know is that not all of these documentaries are shameless scandalmongers. and while director and producer repeatedly state this isn't a theological debate they are proposing, rather reporting their findings, the reactions they are getting reveals a LOT more than the documentary probably will in relation to not only predictable reactions -- thats obvious -- but HOW any kind of explosive information is systematically discredited not through actual compelling evidence to contradict it, but just by the sheer volume (in sound) of ppl's unreasonable hostility.

i guess the best example of unreasonable denial and reactionary tactics is the global warming issue. our time could well be remembered as the Darkest Hour of the Greatest Enlightenment.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on February 27, 2007, 08:40:57 AM
other idiots.. anyone who talked to jim and semcha jacobovici on larry king last nite. they do pose intereting questions which jim himself admitted were compelling arguments which they considered. he and his mate never raised their voice while they were getting attacked from every angle, jim sarcastically feigned laughter at the cheap shots the baptist whatever fat white guys were saying like "and that's what this is, a work of science fiction" one dude got so owned that's what he resorted to.

If anyone cares here's a transcript of that show. First interview is with Laura bush, then with Jacobovich and Jim.

And on Larry's main page you can also see some video.

modage

James Cameron Gets Bloody with Marilyn Manson
Source: Cinematical

He's gone to the dark depths of the sea and the Alien reaches of space. He's traveled through time, delighted in spies and had cold, sinking romances. Basically, there's not much that James Cameron hasn't done. I mean heck, he recently was involved with that whole Jesus tomb thing, so it's only logical that he also do something on the other end of the spectrum. Since it might be a bit over-the-top to dig into the ground and try to find Hell, Cameron zeroed in on... Marilyn Manson.

Last month, a French music site, Charts in France, reported that the controversial musician was filming a new video called When the Heart Guides the Hand for his upcoming album, Eat Me, Drink Me. The kicker was that James Cameron would be directing the piece, using 3-D special effects that could be viewed without glasses. I'm not sure how all of that works, but Bloody Disgusting found a clip from the video that has Manson and a young woman covered in blood and making out while he runs his hands up and down her body. Now I can't tell, but is this person Evan Rachel Wood, the actress rumored to have led to Manson's split from wife, Dita Von Teese? It looks like it could be, and would make sense, since the title of the album reflects his upcoming horror film -- Phantasmagoria: The Visions of Lewis Carroll, which she co-stars in, and the song's title has a sense of wandering eye. Personally, I think if Cameron really wanted to spice things up, he should have been the bloody one making out with Manson.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

yeesh.... marilyn looks like shit, man. i don't wanna think about him boning 19 year olds.
bring on buddha stalin's new video.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

polkablues

Yeah, leave it to Marilyn Manson to ruin making out with 19-year-old girls while covered in blood for me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

James Cameron to stick with 3-D
Director eyes the true story 'Dive'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

James Cameron is looking to continue his pioneering stereoscopic 3-D efforts -- though not necessarily with a big action movie or visual effects-laden project like "Avatar."

"After 'Avatar,' I want to do something a lot smaller," Cameron said Thursday.

On the director's sonar is "The Dive," a true story about the romance between controversial Cuban free diver Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras and Frenchwoman Audrey Mestre. Under his guidance, Mestre became a free diver who broke several world records but died in 2002 while competing. (Free-diving competitors must hold their breath for long periods of time while deep under water.)

"It's a drama, a love story," Cameron said. "This will require underwater photography, which will look gorgeous in 3-D."

When dramatic 3-D is achieved, Cameron believes it could bring about "the kind of uncomfortable feeling that people like in a movie theater; they feel like they are being challenged. It can actually be quite powerful.

"I think (3-D for drama) is the big overlooked area (now) because the economics don't really drive that direction."

Cameron added that action and computer animation will likely drive the 3-D market for a while, but with the infrastructure gains on the way, he expects that will change.

"The visual aesthetic of doing dramatic stuff in 3-D is very simple," he said. "Just don't remind people that they are watching a 3-D movie. That will take them out of the experience."

Ferreras was a central figure in a 2001 Imax documentary, "Ocean Men: Extreme Dive."

"Avatar" is scheduled to open Dec. 18, 2009.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

IESB Exclusive: FORBIDDEN PLANET May Have a Director       
Written by IESB Staff     

A FORBIDDEN PLANET remake is in the works over at Warner Bros. with a script by writer J. Michael Straczynski.

IESB has gotten exclusive information from a source inside the Forbidden Planet camp that director James "King of the World" Cameron is eyeing the project and is very interested in helming.

Cameron has been "eyeing" the project for a good part of a decade, AICN posted info on it back in 1998 when he was hot off of TITANIC. But it never came to fruition. But now that Warners is pushing full steam ahead, his interest again has been piqued.

The original Forbidden Planet was a 1956 science fiction film directed by Fred M. Wilcox and starred Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen (before his "Don't call me Shirley" days).

Cameron, who is currently working on his 3D pièce de résistance AVATAR certainly has his hands full, although he hasn't opened a film since 2005 with Aliens of the Deep.

But, Cameron and close partner and friend Gigantic Ego, may want to have first shot at bringing one of the most ground-breaking science fiction films of its time back to the big screen. Imagine the new technology he could create for Robby the Robot.

He is currently attached to direct Battle Angel and The Dive plus he is producing Fantastic Voyage and Nagasaki Deadline. Will he be able to squeeze in FORBIDDEN PLANET? We will wait and see!

IESB has contacted Silver Pictures who are producing the project and are awaiting comment at the time of this post.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Cameron, Schwarzenegger and Arnold Reteaming?
Source: ComingSoon

While James Cameron is working on finishing December-opener Avatar, actor/comedian Tom Arnold has been talking to The New York Times, saying that he will be reuniting with the True Lies director and co-star Arnold Schwarzenegger for a movie next year:

Still, the future project Mr. Arnold said he's most excited about is a movie with a still-to-be-determined plot and script. "All I know is Jim Cameron's making it and Arnold" — Mr. Schwarzenegger — "and I are going to be in it, and it starts shooting in 14 months, the day after Arnold stops being governor of California," he said. "It's not going to be called 'True Lies II,' but it might as well be. I can live with that."

Wishful thinking or is something really brewing? True Lies, which was released in July of 1994 (has it really been 15 years already?), earned $378.9 million worldwide.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

James Cameron plugging 3D TV sets
'Avatar' director inks deal with Panasonic on Friday
Associated Press

TOKYO -- "Titanic" director James Cameron has signed on with Panasonic to promote new 3D TVs.

The deal disclosed Friday comes as Cameron and Twentieth Century Fox are aiming to break new ground with the release of "Avatar," a movie shot entirely in 3D.

At the same time, Panasonic is making a big push to get consumers excited about three-dimensional viewing in the home -- excited enough to buy new flat-panel sets and new Blu-ray disc players. Consumers will have to wear special glasses to experience the 3D effect.

Panasonic is planning to start selling 3D TVs next year. Rivals, including Sony, which has its own movie division, and Samsung Electronics of South Korea have shown prototypes and may offer similar products. It's not clear how much 3D TVs would cost.

The manufacturers face a problem in that 3D content is scarce. There's also no agreement on a disc or broadcast format to bring the content to TV sets, though the industry group behind the Blu-ray disc may be close to finalizing a standard.

Several animation films are already being shown in theaters in 3D, along with a handful of live-action movies. "Avatar," set for release Dec. 18, will be the biggest major Hollywood film to debut worldwide in both 2D and 3D.

"I believe 3D is how we will experience movies, gaming and computing in the near future. 3D is not something you watch. It's a reality you feel you could step into," Cameron said on video.

Panasonic is hoping its collaboration with Cameron will give its brand an edge as a 3D leader, and give the company ideas for technological improvements for home TVs, GM Masayuki Kozuka said.

"We want to get global interest rolling," he told the Associated Press. "For people to want to watch 3D at home, the movie has to be a blockbuster."

Panasonic plans to have several trailer-vans driving around in the U.S. and Europe next month with large-screen 3D TVs inside showing "Avatar." In Japan, footage from "Avatar" -- a science-fiction romance set in a futuristic jungle inhabited by creatures evocative of Cameron's "Aliens" -- will appear in ads for 3D TVs. Cameron developed a new computer-controlled 3D camera system for the movie.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Titanic' prepped for 3D reissue
Film libraries to be tapped in wake of 'Toy Story' move
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Disney's imminent rerelease of "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" in 3D has many wondering if others will tap their film libraries for extra-dimensional opportunities, but it appears less a matter of if than when.

Execs on lots all around town acknowledge spitballing sessions about possible 3D rereleases. At Lightstorm Entertainment, insiders suggest it will be less than a year before a 3D rerelease is announced for a little film called "Titanic."

"We are certainly interested in exploring the opportunity to rerelease some of Lightstorm's past films in 3D," Lightstorm partner Jon Landau said. "I don't think it's too far into the future. We're pretty far down the road."

In fact, Lightstorm has done 3D tests on James Cameron's two most successful movies: "Titanic" and "Terminator 2: Judgment Day."

Still, though several Hollywood majors also might tread that path eventually, only select projects are likely until 3D home entertainment takes hold, and that's maybe five years down the road. Only the most well-known film classics would merit the considerable costs of converting 2D pics, not to mention the marketing expenses of 3D rereleases.

The still-skimpy installed base of 3D movie screens is another consideration, though Landau is heartened by the steady increase in those numbers and is confident a more robust 3D footprint will be in place soon.

Family films are the most obvious candidates for 3D rereleases, as tots often know classic family titles from DVD but haven't seen them on the big screen. CGI-animated family titles top the list, as an average $8 million or so in remastering costs can be halved thanks to inherent technical advantages in the format.

But even well-known action films such as those in the "Star Wars" franchise are expected to get 3D rereleases eventually -- the key word being eventually.

"I know we're all watching this to see if there's something there," Universal distribution president Nikki Rocco said. "The uniqueness of 3D definitely brings something different to the table. But right now it's wait and see."

Disney release the 3D versions of 1995 franchise original "Toy Story" and its 1999 sequel Oct. 2 on about 1,600 screens. The reissues serve as franchise reminders in advance of the June 18 bow of "Toy Story 3," also in 3D.

Theaters will program "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" back-to-back, but patrons also will have the option of hanging onto tickets to return another time within the films' two-week run.

"It's a huge value proposition for the audience," Disney distribution president Chuck Viane said. "It's a great day for the family because they can go out and enjoy two movies and have a ball."

A likely second motivation is the prospect of eventually releasing the remastered titles in the home entertainment market, but that's not likely for several years. Until then, some say, theatrical rereleases demand a cautious approach and could require as much as $25 million in related marketing.

"It's economic suicide," a top studio exec groused.

Even Disney hasn't committed to its next 3D rerelease.

"We continue to look at past properties to see if we have the right vehicles for this format," Viane said. "But we want to see what happens with these."

At Fox, distribution boss Bruce Snyder said the studio has "looked at some titles that we could think about maybe doing in 3D."

Nothing in that vein is planned imminently, but Snyder believes more than just family films could see 3D rerelease eventually.

"You've got older teens and early-20s males who are rabid about technology right now," he said. "So it has the possibility of expanding from the family audience into that audience."

The new versions of "Toy Story" and its sequel offer a new visual depth, thanks to their conversion into 3D. But don't expect anything to fly off the screen; even Pixar's summer hit "Up" kept the lid on overt 3D gimmickry.

The "Toy Story" conversions follow an earlier similar project at Disney, which in 2006 remastered Tim Burton's animated creepfest "The Nightmare Before Christmas" in 3D. "Nightmare" has rung up $24 million from theatrical campaigns staged each Halloween since then.

Pixar handled 3D chores on the "Toy Story" pics. On "Nightmare," Disney hired Industrial Light + Magic to do the work, with ILM licensing a 3D-conversion program developed by In-Three.

Westlake Village, Calif.-based In-Three has worked primarily with studios to create 3D masters for new movies being released in a mix of 2D and 3D theaters. Its execs believe other studios will follow Disney's lead and rerelease their own classics in 3D, once the installed base of 3D screens grows.

"Everybody is worried about the number of 3D screens," In-Three marketing vp Damian Wader said. "If you take a legacy film like 'Star Wars' or 'The Matrix,' you can't rerelease it in 2D, only 3D."

Until recently, there were fewer than 2,000 3D screens in place domestically.

Meanwhile, Landau has some advice for industryites bullish on 3D. Noting the costs of conversion and the inevitability of 3D dominating the theatrical landscape, he said: "If you have the ability to shoot something now in 3D, shoot it in 3D. Then you won't have to convert it."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Cameron's Next Film Revealed?
Avatar helmer may send Seven Samurai into space.
Source: IGN

James Cameron may not be done with outer space adventures once his sci-fi epic Avatar opens next week.

Production Weekly tweets that Cameron is developing a sci-fi action script penned by Shane Salerno (Armageddon, Aliens vs Predator - Requiem) for 20th Century Fox (also the studio behind Avatar).

PW didn't provide any further details than that, but SCI FI Wire claims that the project is likely Doomsday Protocol, a spec script that Salerno sold to Fox in the fall of 2008.

The Hollywood Reporter described the project at the time as "an epic science fiction adventure in the vein of The Seven Samurai" that revolves around a group of aliens and humans with various super-abilities who are brought together to save Earth.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Cameron should direct a 3-D version of that awesomely hilarious MTV show, Jersey Shore.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.