Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

Criterion and Paramount have recently completed a deal for Criterion to begin releasing from their library. Many titles are up in the air (discussion should be interesting on which ones), but the confirmed ones are as follow:

Ingmar Bergman's Face to Face
Sam Fuller's White Dog
Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole
and Robinson Crusoe on Mars

The major title is obviously Sam Fuller's White Dog. Not available for many years in the US and very controversial, it will be making its debut on DVD from Criterion who will likely clean up the quality from the splotty bootleg editions and old VHS versions that are the only copies available.

Cobz

QuoteIngmar Bergman's Face to Face

OMG! Been waiting years for this title!! Do you reckon Criterion will release it with both the theatrical and the television versions? They did with "Scenes From A Marriage" and "Fanny And Alexander"

*fingers crossed*
coin operated boy

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Cobz on January 17, 2007, 07:46:16 AM

OMG! Been waiting years for this title!! Do you reckon Criterion will release it with both the theatrical and the television versions? They did with "Scenes From A Marriage" and "Fanny And Alexander"

*fingers crossed*

I'd consider a release of the television version a gurantee.

Cobz

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 17, 2007, 08:56:55 AM

*fingers crossed*

:multi: Yay! Can't wait, now its all a matter of anxiously waiting for a release date, artwork etc.

I wonder if theres any news on Fassbinder's "Berlin Alexanderplatz" release, anyone know anything?
coin operated boy

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Cobz on January 18, 2007, 02:36:48 AM

*fingers crossed*

:multi: Yay! Can't wait, now its all a matter of anxiously waiting for a release date, artwork etc.

I wonder if theres any news on Fassbinder's "Berlin Alexanderplatz" release, anyone know anything?

The news last year from independent sources was that it would be released in 2007. As far as I know, that still stands.

Cobz

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 18, 2007, 10:34:22 AM

*fingers crossed*

The news last year from independent sources was that it would be released in 2007. As far as I know, that still stands.

Well yes, but from what i remember they said early 2007 (i.e. no later than March/April) and if that was still the case theyd probably have a release date, im guessing its prob still in the final finishing touches, prob late 2007 now, one would assume :)
coin operated boy

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Cobz on January 18, 2007, 10:40:53 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 18, 2007, 10:34:22 AM

*fingers crossed*

Well yes, but from what i remember they said early 2007 (i.e. no later than March/April) and if that was still the case theyd probably have a release date, im guessing its prob still in the final finishing touches, prob late 2007 now, one would assume :)

Sometime in 2007 is more appropriate. Just because it hasn't been announced, doesn't mean it will be coming in the last few months of the year. Besides, April should be announced in the next day or so.

edison

There was also a pic of La Haine, but that is now removed from their site.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: edison on January 18, 2007, 01:55:57 PM
Now, that's something to cream about!! :shock:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Slightly Green on January 18, 2007, 01:58:38 PM

Surprising, but an easy film to ignore since I didn't care much for it. The good news is Brute Force getting a release, plus I'm interested in Overlord.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 18, 2007, 02:20:44 PM
Quote from: Slightly Green on January 18, 2007, 01:58:38 PM

Surprising, but an easy film to ignore since I didn't care much for it.
Tant pis.
I've been trying to get it for a while now, considered even the R2 version, but it seems that I gladly won't have to succumb to that kind of desperation.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

grand theft sparrow

from the latest newsletter:

La Jetee and Sans Soleil this year it looks like.

Thanks for the heads up.  I was considering buying the Region 2 of this recently.

A Matter Of Chance

I was just looking on amazon.com - did The Third Man go out of print?  did criterion pull it to rerelease it? or did I just miss my chance to own it?

Sunrise

Pretty sure they're doing a remaster/reprint to be released this year.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ginger on May 17, 2006, 05:51:38 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 17, 2006, 03:35:44 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jordorowsky is back!

Also, there is word that that Criterion will indeed by releasing the newly re-mastered works of Alejandro Jodorowsky. The films are getting shown everyhere in the world (including Cannes) and all carry The Criterion Collection logo. Here some more information (including DVD release information):

"Stumbling upon a screening of Jodorowsky's "The Holy Mountain" in Madison last November, Bill Rouleau and Dan DuChaine, film buffs and owners of Rush-Mor Records in Milwaukee's absurdly hip South Side, decided to bring the film to town.

Rouleau and DuChaine began butting heads with ABKCO records and Criterion for several moths in order to obtain the print of the film and screen it here. After gaining the approval of Jodorowsky himself, the two acquired the film and secured the screen at the Union Theater for one night.
Before we received the print, the film had shown in Argentina, France and Sweden," says DuChaine. "Criterion, who now owns the distribution rights to the film, didn't want to send it back to the Midwest, so again we had to contact Jodorowsky himself. After showing him how enthusiastic we were about wanting to show the film, he gave us the thumbs up and got the film sent to us."

In 2007 The Criterion Collection will be releasing the film on DVD. "

I hope that's true.  This site made me think otherwise: http://www.abkcofilms.com/

Boy have we got some great DVD news for you film geeks today! ABKCO Films and Anchor Bay Entertainment have just announced a pair of titles that we've been waiting for on DVD since Day One of this format... El Topo and The Holy Mountain! No kidding! Anchor Bay will release a special limited edition collector's box set, The Films of Alejandro Jodorowsky, on DVD on 5/1 (SRP $49.98). The set will contain El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Fando Y Lis on DVD, fully restored and remastered from new HD transfers in anamorphic widescreen video, with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 audio (El Topo is 125 minutes in Spanish, The Holy Mountain is 114 minutes in English, Fando Y Lis is 93 minutes in Spanish). The box set will also include 2 music CDs containing the soundtracks for El Topo and The Holy Mountain, as well as a DVD of Jodorowsky's never-before-released first film, La Cravate. El Topo and The Holy Mountain will also be available separately (SRP $24.98 each). The El Topo DVD will contain audio commentary by the director, the original theatrical trailer (with English voice-over), a 2006 on-camera interview with the director as well as an exclusive new interview, a photo gallery and original script excerpts. The Holy Mountain DVD will include audio commentary with the director, deleted scenes with commentary, the original theatrical trailer (with English voice-over), the Tarot short with commentary, a restoration process short, restoration credits, a photo gallery and original script excerpts. Fando Y Lis will include audio commentary with the director and the La Constellation Jodorowsky documentary. Subtitles on the discs will be available in English, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks