Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

ono

What's the name/URL of that website dedicated to selling Criterion DVDs?  (not criterionco.com)  Thanks.

Gold Trumpet

Traffic
SRP: $39.95
Prebook date: 1/31/06
Street date: 3/7/06

3 Films by Louis Malle (4 disc box set)
SRP: $79.95
Prebook date: 2/7/06
Street date: 3/14/06
Includes---MURMUR OF THE HEART ---LACOMBE, LUCIEN ----AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS

FISTS IN THE POCKET
SRP: $29.95
Prebook date: 2/21/06
Street date: 3/26/06

MR. ARKADIN - Orson Welles's elusive film presented in three different versions.
SRP: $49.95
Prebook date: 2/21/06
Street date: 3/26/06

There is a reason for the Traffic re-release. It pertains to the Image take over and the rumor back in October (before Image acquired Criterion) they were going to release their own DVD of Traffic anyways. Don't expect a more substantial special edition disc. From what I am reading the only update will be the print. This release is just a consequence of the new situation for Criterion, but a great month of releases. I'm in particular excited for Fists in the Pocket. Their previous releases of unkown Italian works have been superb.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 05, 2005, 08:03:27 PM
What's the name/URL of that website dedicated to selling Criterion DVDs?  (not criterionco.com)  Thanks.

www.criteriondvd.com Great site, excellent speed for shipping DVDs.

Gold Trumpet

According to the recent Newsletter, new editions of Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro will be out in 2006. I'm actually dissapointed. Seven Samurai is a worthy title, but High and Low is worthier than Yojimbo and Sanjuro. I smell a box set and more time ignored on other films being released.

ono

They're decent.  DeepDiscountDVD and Amazon usually have better prices, depending on the timing.  In the past, if you've pre-ordered from Amazon, the discount is pretty substantial (they're known to discount Criterions as pre-orders -- I got Slacker and Short Cuts for a good deal), and there are always 20% off sales from DeepDiscountDVD to count on too.  This place is nice to have, though.

Figure 8

How is dvdplanet?  They have all criterions for 35% off and their prices are better than deepdiscountdvd.  I've never used them, but I'm curious.

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 05, 2005, 09:34:49 PM
According to the recent Newsletter, new editions of Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro will be out in 2006. I'm actually dissapointed. Seven Samurai is a worthy title, but High and Low is worthier than Yojimbo and Sanjuro. I smell a box set and more time ignored on other films being released.

All four direly need new transfers.  I too was waiting for a new High and Low.  Maybe later in 2006.  At least we have a new edition of Ran.

modage

Quote from: Figure 8 on December 06, 2005, 03:43:42 PM
How is dvdplanet?  They have all criterions for 35% off and their prices are better than deepdiscountdvd.  I've never used them, but I'm curious.
they're good.  i used to buy all my criterions from them until i started just waiting to get them till twice a year when deepdiscount has their 20% off sale.  but for the most part, you cant beat them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

OK, I was reluctant to give in and buy the Malle box set, but now I will look for criticism to justify buying it due to these beautiful covers. The Welles cover isn't too shabby either.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gamblour.

That motif for the covers is great.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Looks like Criterion will pass on the Alejandro Jodorowsky releases that are upcoming of [guranteed] El Topo and The Holy Mountain. Reasons are still unclear, but it is a stunning development and quite frankly pretty sad. At least the films look to still have a North American release.

http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=110067#post110067

ono

So Warner Bros. is releasing a two-disc SE of The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  I've wanted to get this flick for a long time.  Just looking for opinions.  Should I dig for the old Criterion, or the new?  I guess extras are the main thing I'm curious about.

Pubrick

Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 15, 2005, 01:50:46 AM
So Warner Bros. is releasing a two-disc SE of The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  I've wanted to get this flick for a long time.  Just looking for opinions.  Should I dig for the old Criterion, or the new?  I guess extras are the main thing I'm curious about.
this is the first i've heard about it. does anyone have any details? that movie is criminally under-watched.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Get this new special edition. No doubt it. When Criterion released it, they were taking from an MGM transfer and typical of MGM, the transfer was not up to snuff. Warners is stellar for brand new transfers. Add on that the commentary for the new disc is the same as the one for Criterion. Then add a few more decent extra features in a documentary and you have a much improved special edition package.