Inglourious Basterds [sic]

Started by brockly, May 20, 2003, 06:05:39 AM

picolas

apparently pitt isn't even really the lead. it's Mélanie Laurent.

The Perineum Falcon

Well, I, for one, am unapologetically looking forward to this.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

tpfkabi

word.

Since TWBB I really haven't been too excited about many movies.

Despite any possible fears brought up via the trailer, I'm sure just about everyone here's butt will be in the seat opening weekend for this movie.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Neil

But, YOU'VE NEVER SEEN WAR UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN IT THROUGH THE EYES OF...

God damn that's stupid.  Fuck.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pas

Quote from: Neil on February 18, 2009, 08:16:06 PM

Yeah the ONLY way that would make any sense would be if ended with ''.....THROUGH THE EYES OF... WELL YOUR EYES ACTUALLY''

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Neil on February 18, 2009, 08:16:06 PM

Well, what do you expect? It's advertising.
They're playing up the badassery to all the jocks and supposed "hardasses." At least, that's my take on it.

I haven't read the script, so I don't even know what the tone of the film is, but given that it's Tarantino, and since I do enjoy his films, I'll be there anyway.

Sure, there were some things in the trailer that were a bit off-putting (like the choice of music for instance), but it's not going to prevent me from being excited about his next film.

I trust him and not the advertisers.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Click here to read about Tarantino walking Empire Magazine through the trailer, and also explaining the title:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/tarantino-talks-inglourious-basterds-trailer/default.asp
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Alright - - those are pretty fucking cool.

Still, though, it seems Tarantino is aiming for something COOL rather than something GOOD which bothers me.

He gets more style over substance with each passing film. I hope this one bucks the trend but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

New Feeling

Those posters are pretty ho-hum like the trailer but the Empire/QT trailer tour was fun and this movie will be one of the greatest. 

I really think Kill Bill and DeathProof have just as much substance as the earlier works and I wish people would take them a little more seriously.  I know it's one of the least popular opinions around but I think QT has the most interesting body of work of all the filmmakers of the (excuse me) post-Tarantino era. And I think the only close competition comes from PT and maybe Wes and Charlie Kaufman.

New Feeling

possible mild spoilers to follow:

I just finished reading the screenplay, which is the first time I've read a pre-release movie since the Big Lebowski, and I can safely say I am 100% excited about seeing this.  It's seems smaller in scale than I would've imagined, considering that it will probably be 3 hours and has a bunch of characters.  There is definitely no lead, it is truly an ensemble piece. Some of the major players seem a tad underdeveloped, but characters have a special way of coming to life on the screen for QT.  There are a few extremely long scenes, and they are good.  The climax is a heart-pounder and very satisfying. It feels most like Kill Bill of all the previous Tarantino, but less pastiche and more straight ahead inspirational war-comedy-shoot 'em up-nailbiter with lots of nods to Sergio Leone and cinema.     

for those who are concerned, Eli Roth's part is memorable but has very limited amounts of dialogue - probably less than he had in DeathProof, and I thought he was good enough in that one (in fact I thought he was perfect for that asshole part).  None of the Basterds really gets much page time, Pitt included, though he definitely has the most. 

One of the funny things is that the movie will be probably 2/3 subtitled, or more.  Certainly a ballsy move for a 3 hour summer war movie.  There are at least a couple of nutty stylistic touches as indicated by the screenplay that I very much look forward to seeing QT try to pull off, as I find i hard to imagine them working, but I certainly believe they could.  The films ending will be controversial and you will love it or hate it.  I love it to death. 

it's almost nothing like the movie advertised in the trailers, about a bunch of nazi scalping American Soldiers, though they certainly play a a part. 

my hat's off   

but then, I love Quentin   

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

Can someone hook me up with the script?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks