Scarface

Started by SoNowThen, May 17, 2003, 12:35:45 PM

MacGuffin

On 10/13, Universal will release a 2-disc Scarface: Platinum Edition (SRP $29.98). No word yet on extras.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Dear Universal,

FUCK YOU.

Sincerely,

Me
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I keep hoping that the next time I check this thread it will say "America decides to stop talking about this fucking movie"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I think America has stopped talking about it as much, but Universal is that guy who keeps bringing up his ex-girlfriend.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

Quote from: modage on June 22, 2006, 06:49:14 PM
Dear Universal,

FUCK YOU.

Sincerely,

Me

as if it's actually gonna be worth double-dipping for. please.

pete

there are kids on my block who have like 12 tupac shirts and 12 scarface shirts and that's it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

New Scarface DVD Due
Platinum Edition promises better sound and bigger bonus features.

On October 3, 2006, Universal Studios Home Entertainment will release Scarface: Platinum Edition on DVD. Proclaiming that the collectible two-disc edition will present fans with the opportunity to "experience director Brian De Palma' s ultimate gangster classic like you never have before," the set promises remastered sound and picture quality as well as an exhaustive slate of bonus materials. The set will be available for the MSRP of $29.98.

According to the press release issued by USHE, the film features an entirely new sound effects and audio mix; specifically, "every sound effect in the film has been replaced and digitally remastered for the ultimate Scarface experience." Additionally, the set "offers additional new bonus features and specially designed, highly collectible packaging that combine to make Scarface: Platinum Edition an extraordinary home entertainment event." The two-disc DVD will feature the following extras:

*Scarface Scoreboard: Watch Scarface like never before; keep track of the number of times the f-word is used, and the number of bullets fired
*Deleted Scenes: Over 20 minutes of intense deleted scenes
*The Making of Scarface: The Video Game: immerse yourself in the world of Scarface in this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the video game
*The World of Tony Montana: experience the decadent world of the ultimate gangster in this all-new feature; revel in Tony's luxurious and extravagant life in the underworld
*Scarface: The Rebirth: actor Al Pacino, director Brian De Palma, producer Martin Bregman, and screenwriter Oliver Stone examine the history of Scarface, from the original 1932 classic to shooting the script
*Scarface: Creating: a fascinating look at the controversial making of Scarface and the triumphs and struggles experienced by its filmmakers, including the filming of the unforgettable chainsaw scene, location changes, the producer's battles to gain an "R" rating and more
*Scarface: Acting: Al Pacino and other cast members offer insider stories and revealing insights into how these legendary characters were created
*Scarface: TV Version Montage: a revealing and hilarious montage of film clips that compare and contrast the theatrical release to the network version of Scarface

In addition to remastered picture and sound, Scarface: Platinum Edition will be presented in anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1) and feature the following audio options: English Dolby Digital 5.1 (Producer's Mix); DTS 5.1; Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono; and French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono. Check out an image of the box art for the forthcoming set:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

do we really need another Scarface dvd? I wish they'd reissue the 1932 howard hawks movie (which is infinitely better)
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Derek237

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 02, 2006, 05:15:26 PM

*Scarface Scoreboard: Watch Scarface like never before; keep track of the number of times the f-word is used, and the number of bullets fired

I won't buy the damn thing, I have the special edition which I got for a great deal, but that special feature does sound pretty amusing. 'Cause I can imagine many people always lose track when they play the Scarface "F-word" drinking game. If you stay concious throughout the entire movie, you know you're a real man.

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 02, 2006, 05:15:26 PM
entirely new sound effects and audio mix; specifically, "every sound effect in the film has been replaced and digitally remastered for the ultimate Scarface experience."

FINALLY

grand theft sparrow

MacGuffin

'Scarface' Update Being Developed By Universal
The film would be produced by former studio head Marc Shmuger and Martin Bregman, producer on the 1983 remake.
Source: THR

Say hello to Universal's new little friend.

The studio is developing a new Scarface movie to be produced by ousted former studio head Marc Shmuger and Martin Bregman, the veteran producer who made the 1983 remake.

The project is in the early stages but it being described as not a sequel or outright remake of the 1983 Al Pacino-starring movie nor the 1932 Paul Muni-George Raft movie.

Each of those were crime sagas telling the rise and fall of a gangster, and each was a mirror of their time. The 1932 version was set in Chicago and featured bootlegging, Italians and Irish mobsters. The 1983 version was set in Latin-loving Miami and cocaine was the vice of choice.

The new Scarface is planned to be the same: a crime tale set in today's world, offering a dark look at the American Dream.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Fun fact: At least 2 actors from Scarface have prominent roles in Breaking Bad:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0546797/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000874/

Vince Gilligan is an enormous Scarface fan. They should wait until Breaking Bad ends so he can write and direct this.

MacGuffin

David Yates In Final Talks For 'Scarface' Helm Now Universal "Very High" On Script
BY NIKKI FINKE, Editor in Chief | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: There's a ton of curiosity and criticism about Universal's Scarface reboot since both the 1932 Chicago bootlegging film and 1983 Miami cocaine-dealing versions were so iconic. Understanding that, the studio according to my sources has been refining the script with several screenwriters and drafts while keeping all names and details under wraps.

"Universal has been through a couple of drafts and now is very high on the current draft. The first stop is the director. This is before any conversations on talent or timing." I've learned that the studio is in final talks with British director David Yates who directed the final four films in the Harry Potter film series (#s 5, 6, 7, and 8 from 2007-2011) – and in my opinion should have won some Oscar nominations for them as the franchise grew dark and interesting under his helming. Though he normally works at Warner Bros, Yates has been the subject of considerable chatter over which film projects he'd do next. A prolific TV director known for his gripping British TV six-part political thriller State Of Play (2003) and the Emmy-winning The Girl In The Café (2005), Yates is a founding member of Directors UK. He now is much in demand with the finish of the Harry Potter franchise.

On Scarface, he will be tasked with updating the crime saga so it lives up to the Ben Hecht/Howard Hawks/Paul Muni and Oliver Stone/Brian De Palma/Al Pacino classics since both became part of popular culture. This is not a remake or sequel but a reboot of a crime kingpin who through a ruthless campaign of ambition goes in hot pursuit of his American Dream – whatever that is in this decade. Ethnicity and geography were important in the first two versions so expect the same here. Former Universal head Marc Shmuger and his Global Produce banner is producing along with Martin Bregman who produced the Pacino version.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

It's funny because it's one of those films which has a lot of room for improvement but I can't see how they will really focus on the right things to improve it anyways. It also will probably be more of a curiosity because there is too much association with what Scarface stands for and how he acts and who plays him that any remake is bound to fall flat on its face with the public. It's funny to me because the 1983 remake itself isn't a very good movie in most ways. Definitely open to argument, but I thought De Palma just misread what the appropriate style should have been and misfired.