Scarface

Started by SoNowThen, May 17, 2003, 12:35:45 PM

Ravi

Quote from: Vivian DarkbloomHas anybody else seen the wonderful artwork for the Hawk's version they're giving in the boxset ? Everything about it is just so fucking hilarious...

Watch for the wonderful tagline and the Darkman ripoff in the title. I guess this is the Tony Hawk version, not the Howard... What's next ? A Metropolis reissue with colors and a Moroder score ? (oops,they've done that already...) I just wish some companies didn't think DVD buyers were morons.

Looks like a made-for-TV remake on TNT or something.

MacGuffin

Deluxe Gift set cover:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i adamantly refuse to have any dvd on my shelf that contains the special feature entitled "Def Jam Presents: Origins of a Hip-Hop Classic".  maybe thats just me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

***beady***

ummm.... maybe, maybe not.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: themodernage02i adamantly refuse to have any dvd on my shelf that contains the special feature entitled "Def Jam Presents: Origins of a Hip-Hop Classic".  maybe thats just me.

Uh Oh...

Gold Trumpet

I'm pumped......hip hop guys have to be creaming pants after seeing that cover, but it all looks expensive. How expensive? (I also may get redirected because of not looking at all previous pages, but oh well)

~rougerum

modage

Quote from: mogwainot again... i thought you were hip hop themodernrage03.

for anyone interested in that special feature you might also be interested to learn...

FLAVA-FUL DISCS OF THE WEEK
Source: Entertainment Weekly

LAUGH TRACK DVDS. Come October, York Entertainment will rerelease old films (like Bruce Lee's Chinese Connection) redubbed and rescored to appeal to an audience raised on hip-hop and Def Comedy Jam.

i cant wait.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: mogwainot again... i thought you were hip hop themodernrage03.

for anyone interested in that special feature you might also be interested to learn...

FLAVA-FUL DISCS OF THE WEEK
Source: Entertainment Weekly

LAUGH TRACK DVDS. Come October, York Entertainment will rerelease old films (like Bruce Lee's Chinese Connection) redubbed and rescored to appeal to an audience raised on hip-hop and Def Comedy Jam.

i cant wait.

This is a joke, right?  It sounds too ridiculous to be true.

Maybe they'll release a few Busta Keaton DVDs.

modage

Quote from: RaviThis is a joke, right?  It sounds too ridiculous to be true.

no, its true. it was in todays Entertainment Weekly.  do you see the lengths they are going to, to market to an "urban audience"?

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: RaviThis is a joke, right?  It sounds too ridiculous to be true.

no, its true. it was in todays Entertainment Weekly.  do you see the lengths they are going to, to market to an "urban audience"?

But why, though?  Scarface didn't have a hip-hop soundtrack, but every rapper on Cribs has the DVD and several posters from it.  I could swear that I've read/heard interviews with famous black people in which they say that kung fu movies were extremely popular with black audiences in the 1970s.

MacGuffin

De Palma's Scarface Coming Back to Theaters
Source: Universal Studios Home Video, Focus Features  

In celebration of its 20th anniversary, Brian De Palma's searing underworld epic Scarface will return to theaters in limited engagements on September 19th, it was announced today by Universal Pictures and Focus Features. Al Pacino stars in the film, which stunned audiences upon its debut with its uncompromising and visceral depiction of the American immigrant experience. These special theatrical engagements will feature new 35mm prints struck from restored film elements, and a newly remixed digital soundtrack. A major premiere will be held in New York to kick-off the theatrical run.

"All of us at Universal are tremendously excited about this opportunity for audiences to experience 'Scarface' on the big screen," said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Video, which supervised the restoration of the film. "Unlike most films, 'Scarface' has gained in interest and influence over the last 20 years, and its fervent fan base continues to grow. This is truly an event."

Focus Features, the specialty film unit of Universal Pictures, will distribute Scarface in these theatrical engagements.

Originally released by Universal Pictures in 1983, the film was hailed for Al Pacino's towering performance as Cuban immigrant Tony Montana, and for Brian De Palma's masterful direction. Over the years, as the film found continued exposure on television and home video, it developed a devoted following in the hip-hop and urban music community, resulting in a widespread influence on music, fashion, language, attitude and ambition. But many of its most devoted fans have never experienced the film in its original form or presentation, and the 20th anniversary of Scarface allows them this unique opportunity and more.

In bringing the film back to its full theatrical power, producer Martin Bregman and original film editor Jerry Greenberg worked tirelessly to fully restore the picture. "This new re-mastered print reaches out and grabs you in a very visceral way," says producer Martin Bregman. "The digital sound on the new release of 'Scarface' is incredible and gives new life to Tony Montana's iconic dialogue, and to the lifestyle he embodies and continues to inspire today. Our greatest hope is that a new generation will be acquainted with this powerful epic."

The theatrical engagements of Scarface will take place in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Detroit, Dallas, Miami and San Francisco. "The response from theatre owners has been immediate. Everyone is excited to see Tony Montana's rise to the top and fall to the bottom all over again," says Focus Features distribution head Jack Foley. "There's a new generation of 'Scarface' fans who want to see this print on a big screen."

Following the theatrical engagements, a home entertainment moratorium will be lifted as the "'Scarface' Two-Disc Anniversary Edition" and the "'Scarface' Deluxe Gift Set" DVD roll out on September 30th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

i bet a lot of rappers havent even seen the movie they just have the posters up because everyone else does.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

I just wish that a real orchestra would record the score...i hate the whole elctronic thing....the music is great, but the synthesizers make it suck.  It's the only thing about the film i don't like.