Scarface

Started by SoNowThen, May 17, 2003, 12:35:45 PM

markums2k

Quote from: themodernage02...additional interview footage presented by Def Jam featuring today's hottest music stars commenting on how Scarface has influenced their life and music...

Are they trying to make us ashamed of buying this?  I couldn't seriously fucking care less how Scarface has influenced da wurld of hip hop.  I'ma 'bout to blow up in dis hizzy.  Feel me?

chainsmoking insomniac

HELL YEEEAH!

Yeah, that feature is making me nauseous.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: mogwaiStop the crying, you two fuckas.

No can do Mog.  I'll bitch about this turn of events to my dying day.  If you want to be complacent about this DVD set being defiled by Def Jam, that's your perrogative (sp?)...if you think this shit is dope, more power to you.  But I think they could put far more interesting features on this (i.e. commentary by Stone and Pacino) than interviewing rappers about how this movie "changed their lives."  Whatever.  :roll:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonNo can do Mog.  I'll bitch about this turn of events to my dying day.  If you want to be complacent about this DVD set being defiled by Def Jam, that's your perrogative (sp?)...if you think this shit is dope, more power to you.  But I think they could put far more interesting features on this (i.e. commentary by Stone and Pacino) than interviewing rappers about how this movie "changed their lives."  Whatever.  :roll:

Who do you think is pushing to get this movie released?  It sure ain't Criterion.  I wouldn't doubt Def Jam bankrolled this re-release, anyway.

SoNowThen

"I... uh, like remember watching Scarface... well, I didn't really watch it, but I heard he does coke and kills people and shit.... and then I did a drive-by... yeah, this movie means a lot to me and stuff..."

I can see it now. 20 minutes of this. Poor DePalma, this is gonna go a long way backwards in his argument against the feminists and anti-violence groups that shit all over his films.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

Indeed. 'nough said.
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

chainsmoking insomniac

Sure Mog.  Okay.  We don't love movies.  Just as you don't get a kick out of being an Anti-Goon.  :wink:
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonNo can do Mog.  I'll bitch about this turn of events to my dying day.  If you want to be complacent about this DVD set being defiled by Def Jam, that's your perrogative (sp?)...if you think this shit is dope, more power to you.  But I think they could put far more interesting features on this (i.e. commentary by Stone and Pacino) than interviewing rappers about how this movie "changed their lives."  Whatever.  :roll:

Who do you think is pushing to get this movie released?  It sure ain't Criterion.  I wouldn't doubt Def Jam bankrolled this re-release, anyway.

Well maybe they shouldn't bankroll this movie.  I'd much rather wait a few years until someone would do the set justice.  

And if Criterion would fund Armageddon, but not Scarface, well then.....fuck them too.
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

SoNowThen

Quote from: mogwaiYou guys don't love movies, you're just here to wind people up.

Oh no, I love Scarface. I don't wanna wind anybody up over this. It's ME that's wound up. This is like the Speilberg interview on Eyes Wide Shut. For me, it pock-marks the disc.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

yeah, mog, shit. the truth is the hip hop culture, is the biggest advocates of Scarface appreciation. Def Jam may well be pushing this new version, (which u don't hav to purchase if u don't want to u consumer fucko, the movie's what u like not the extras, "more to eat, feed me more, baby needs more fat"). the one thing all this talk is proving is that love of movies can't bring ppl together.

it's like "oh no! they like this movie and hav more money than me and are tainting my experience of what only ppl like me can appreciate!" fuckin narrow minded white boys. mogski here is as white and foreign as they come and if he has no problem with rappers liking the movie, and adding sumthing to the dvd (which DePalma and Pacino obviously don't care enuff about otherwise they'd so sumthin themselves), then it is clearly an issue of hip-hop appreciation and lack of open mindedness.

now shut up before i make u look even more stupid. and if u do buy the dvd COS U JUST CAN'T HELP URSELF, just pretend the interviews aren't there and don't click on them.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Oh man, it was never a question of not buying the dvd. Never never never. I'm very excited.

I'm just a little confused... I didn't get the xixax memo where I'm not allowed to not like a special feature of the dvd. I will submit to your opinion, boss.

Seriously though, you don't find it odd that people can see Tony Montana as a hero figure? That doesn't slightly scare you? He's a bad man, and he gets too power mad, and he gets punished. It's like these guys click the movie off before the last scene.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Pyeah, mog, shit. the truth is the hip hop culture, is the biggest advocates of Scarface appreciation. Def Jam may well be pushing this new version, (which u don't hav to purchase if u don't want to u consumer fucko, the movie's what u like not the extras, "more to eat, feed me more, baby needs more fat"). the one thing all this talk is proving is that love of movies can't bring ppl together.

it's like "oh no! they like this movie and hav more money than me and are tainting my experience of what only ppl like me can appreciate!" fuckin narrow minded white boys. mogski here is as white and foreign as they come and if he has no problem with rappers liking the movie, and adding sumthing to the dvd (which DePalma and Pacino obviously don't care enuff about otherwise they'd so sumthin themselves), then it is clearly an issue of hip-hop appreciation and lack of open mindedness.

now shut up before i make u look even more stupid. and if u don't buy the dvd COS U JUST CAN'T HELP URSELF, just pretend the interviews aren't there and don't click on them.

First off P, I appreciate hip-hop.  I have no qualms about it; but Scarface is one of my favorite movies and when I imagined them rereleasing it in a special set, having rappers comment on it wasn't what I had envisioned.  I think it'd be much more interesting to have historical commentary on this film (i.e. interview people this movie was based on, etc), as well as Pacino and DePalma's take on it.  But since they obviously don't care enough about one of their best known movies to comment on it, I'll just have to accept that.  And I'm far from being close-minded, you prick.  And while you may think it's "an issue of hip-hop appreciation and lack of open mindedness", I see that statement as a convenient way of shitting on people who happen to have opinions that differ from yours. Why don't you open up your mind and see different viewpoints.  I didn't insult Mog for liking the set.  I just expressed my displeasure at the whole arrangement.  

Your turn.  :wink:

P.S.: I didn't get the memo either.  I guess you have to be in the clique.
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

SoNowThen

Oh... I actually am a narrow minded white kid who hates rap. P got me right on the money.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenSeriously though, you don't find it odd that people can see Tony Montana as a hero figure? That doesn't slightly scare you? He's a bad man, and he gets too power mad, and he gets punished. It's like these guys click the movie off before the last scene.
is ur idea of hip hop limited to Ja Rule, Ashanti and whatever other bullshit makes the pop charts?

i think what they (for example Dr Dre) identify with is that in america u can gain success by being completely immoral, so when sumone takes a lot of them seriously when they're only pretending* to be gangstas and are outraged by that, it's only in passive recognition of what's really happening in the streets. the american dream of wealth is steeped in disreputable tactics and in many cases murder, that's the truth.

*many like for instance Freddie Foxxx are the real deal, and are not concerned with popular acceptance
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Yep, I agree with you 100% there. That's a good point. I didn't really consider that, and now that you mention it, it makes more sense to me.

Oh, also, I do know who Dre is, but I've never heard of Ja Rule or Ashtani. I make a concerted effort to not listen to the radio, or read pop magazines.