Scarface

Started by SoNowThen, May 17, 2003, 12:35:45 PM

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenThat -- is -- so -- sweet!!!
Thanks for the good news, Mac.

I'll definitely be looking forward to Sept. 20.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

this fall is going to rock. senior year, scarface, sleeping beauty, and kill bill.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: MacGuffinHitting shelves on September 9th is a new 20th Anniversary Edition of the Brian de Palma bloodfest Scarface, starring Al Pacino as the legendary Tony Montana. With an anamorphic widescreen transfer and new Dolby Digital 5.1 remix, and stay tuned for further specs...

Ah! That made my day! Between the Steve Zissou stop animation announcement and this, I'm creaming my pants! :)

Oh, and that's a fucking great avatar by the way.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

godardian

Quote from: punchdrunk23

Oh, and that's a fucking great avatar by the way.

Yeah, I absolutely prefer the Vertigo one to the Matrix ones. It's very cool.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

just to let you all know that the new scarface dvd will be called "Scarface: Resurrection Edition"

The Anvil

Ok ok, this has been bothering me...  Does anyone, anywhere in the movie, even say the word "scarface"?  At all?  I can't find it!

MacGuffin

Quote from: DictatorrabbitOk ok, this has been bothering me...  Does anyone, anywhere in the movie, even say the word "scarface"?  At all?  I can't find it!

The only mention I remember is at the beginning, when he is being interrogated, Tony is asked where he got the scar.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Anvil

Quote from: MacGuffin
The only mention I remember is at the beginning, when he is being interrogated, Tony is asked where he got the scar.

Heh!  Gracias.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: film_gawdi'm sorry to break this to you guys but scarface is truely one of the worst pictures ever.  i'm completely boggled as to why every wanna be playa/gangsta is so into that movie!  the film as no plot or character development, and at a three hour running time, it damn well should have at least on of those!  plus the acting is terrible, which is unusal for pacino.  maybe its just me and i "don't get it" but just becuase a film is old does not qaulify it to be a classic.  don't let that term just fly around to any film older than fifteen years.

Your study hall is over bitch!  Move along to your next class.....

What blasphemy!
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pedro

Quote from: film_gawdi'm sorry to break this to you guys but scarface is truely one of the worst pictures ever.  i'm completely boggled as to why every wanna be playa/gangsta is so into that movie!  the film as no plot or character development, and at a three hour running time, it damn well should have at least on of those!  plus the acting is terrible, which is unusal for pacino.  maybe its just me and i "don't get it" but just becuase a film is old does not qaulify it to be a classic.  don't let that term just fly around to any film older than fifteen years.
Please, elaborate on each of these points.

Vivian Darkbloom

Can't really remember where I've heard of it but it seems they are planning to change the score to insert some hip-hop music. While I'm not a huge fan of Moroder (and I agree that his disco music maybe caused some people to think the movie was now dated) but I really hope this rumor is bullshit (or at least we'll have the choice to switch between both of them).
The thought that such a great movie could be butchered Miramax-style would REALLY piss me off. (You know, like those Jet Li movies where they think the score sounds "too chinese" for us...)
Anybody has any info on this ?

Cecil

i sure hope those rumours are false. i actually kinda like the moroder score.

SoNowThen

If those rumours are true, I will personally fund an assassination mission to gun down whoever is responsible. Any volunteers?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Vivian Darkbloom(You know, like those Jet Li movies where they think the score sounds "too chinese" for us...)

Oh, I hate when Miramax does that too.

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi actually kinda like the moroder score.

I'm with you. I couldn't imagine "Scarface" without Moroder's score.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

This is what I found. Seems like an old story (2002), and don't know how valid it is. Source - Amateur Home Theater:

At first I was glad to hear Universal was finally re-visiting the mediocre Scarface dvd (new transfer, etc.) but I'm now concerned about what the hell they are doing with the soundtrack. Universal is working on a Scarface: Ultimate Edition, but Rolling Stone has mentioned that rapper Jay-Z is executive producing the soundtrack, supervising the music and doing the score for the 2002 release. I don't really think that's such a great idea and I hope the original Giorgio Moroder score is included as well.

Skeleton FilmWorks