Scarface

Started by SoNowThen, May 17, 2003, 12:35:45 PM

Gold Trumpet

Simply, this movie is both horrible and fascinating. People love this movie the way they love the Godfather, but on a different level. This is the X rated version of The Godfather, minor quality in performances, story and tone. I still bought the dvd with pleasure (though most stores here had mainly full frame - logic?) because it is so entertaining to watch. It feels like a required dvd in a way. Not even any Star Wars/LOTR felt that way. The Godfather package did too.

~rougerum

prophet

I just got this. $40

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

edison

Quote from: prophetI just got this. $40

is that quarter all you have left after buying this?

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooJust got the dvd yesterday. Wish there was a commentary on tha motha fucka. Fuck!

I accidently picked up the full screen version, I assumed for some reason all would be in wide screen... YOU MOTHA FUCKA! FUCK! FUCK!

c

Smear peanut butter on the DVD and place it into your player upside down. You'll get the anamorphic widescreen version, plus three commentaries.

Enjoy!  :wink:

SoNowThen

ever since I told you guys about the peanut butter secret, you've been blabbing about it to everybody. it's no fun to have easter eggs if they can't find them on their own...

:wink:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Gold Trumpet is right in a way, as long as he meant it all as a compliment (as I think he did...). I'm not going to get this right away, but I will eventually. It's not my favorite DePalma by any stretch, but it is very fun to watch.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Steve McQueen's ghost

I don't like the "gangstas and playas". I hate that shit. They fancy themselves a modern Mafia when they are NOTHING like the Old Mafia. I saw this stupid "hard core hiphop gangsta" on TV a while back. He did a "driveby" and shot a 12 year old girl. The bullet hit her spine and now she's in a wheelchair for life. Guess what the "O G Pimp" has to say! He said, "I can't be puttin' no eyes on no bullets". He didn't care. Our hero can't be bothered to pay attention to where he shoots his gun. I wish he would get the gas chamber.  Mobsters were bad guys, but they didn't shoot into houses were children were. These idiot rappers that glorifying violence against women and violence in general are God damned assholes. I wish they would leave Scarface alone.......

meatball

I think the original Scarface was better than the remake. I usually can't stomach the older movies, but this one went down well.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Smear peanut butter on the DVD and place it into your player upside down. You'll get the anamorphic widescreen version, plus three commentaries.

Enjoy!  :wink:

That joke never gets old  :lol:
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

freakerdude

I think the surround sound sucks big time on this DVD. You sure as hell don't need a subwoofer for this one...... :x
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

USA & Universal Planning Scarface Limited Series
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Universal is looking to develop Scarface as an original limited series on USA Network. The cable channel is developing a multihour project that could resurrect the characters from Al Pacino's 1983 tour de force or explore other story lines set in the same Miami-based crime world.

Details are still sketchy as USA has just begun its efforts to lure top-notch talent on both sides of the camera to fill the shoes of Pacino and director Brian De Palma.

Universal saw further potential for Scarface as a younger generation discovers the gangster drama on DVD, where the recently released two-disc "Anniversary Edition" drew advance orders for more than 2 million units. A four-hour edition of the film provided a ratings bonanza for USA last month.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

hahahaha ..this is whack..(like my phucking life)..
::opens up a family photo album::

..what they need to do is cast the al pacino look alike thats on the fox show skin...and get McG to direct..(its right up his alley)..and then cast tifany amber-theisen as the character that phiffer played..And then have the music/score done by 50 cent...

and have the following cameos throughout the series..
1.0  al pacino..
2.0  puffy
3.0  a CGI
4.0  kurt loder

SoNowThen

...um, I haven't said anything, but I've been thinking about it:

doesn't the new dvd (visually) just look like shit? Colors are crappy, the picture seems totally flat, is there even an improvement over the older shit version?

anybody else find this?

or is it just a dated looking 80's period piece?
I really like the flick, but the picture is detracting from my enjoyment...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

Quote from: SoNowThenanybody else find this?
the transfer is the same as the old one, i compared with my old copy and all of it is basically a re-hash. personally i don't have a problem with it because i've seen worse transfers.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: SoNowThenanybody else find this?
the transfer is the same as the old one, i compared with my old copy and all of it is basically a re-hash. personally i don't have a problem with it because i've seen worse transfers.

According to this review, this new version is a better transfer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks