Scarface

Started by SoNowThen, May 17, 2003, 12:35:45 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSaving Private Ryan was still as heartfelt as most of his other films. Scarface is prolly the furthest a film can be in that department.

~rougerum

Not talking about the movies as a whole. eward stated that Spielberg had a hand in cutting out violent scenes in other movies, while the opening "Pvt. Ryan" was considered violent enough that it should have received an NC-17.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ewardi think it's funny, given that spielberg doesn't (and i don't think he would ever want to) make movies like that, yet he helped out in the cutting of a violent scene in taxi driver, and now this, and some other things that i can't remember.....

Hard to say whether he meant it by physical violence alone or moral violence along with it. He more separated the difference between Speilberg and these films without saying exactly how.

~rougerum

Alethia

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: ewardi think it's funny, given that spielberg doesn't (and i don't think he would ever want to) make movies like that, yet he helped out in the cutting of a violent scene in taxi driver, and now this, and some other things that i can't remember.....

Hard to say whether he meant it by physical violence alone or moral violence along with it. He more separated the difference between Speilberg and these films without saying exactly how.

~rougerum

i meant both, really.

and i didn't mean the cutting out of violent scenes, i meant the cutting together, scorsese mentions this on the taxi driver doc......

Pozer

saw it today on the big screen
man oh man is it so much better with a packed audience at the Cinerama Dome
so cool with all the laughter and applause
Great Sunday
Bloody Sunday, but a great one nevertheless

Banky

speaking of...................................

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/playas_guide_to_scarface/series.jhtml

the dumbest fucking thing ever on tv

Alethia

i am so watching that

freakerdude

OK, you all are wired up b/c Jay Z did something or other but it sounds like the original electronic Moroder score is intact. Yes, it is electronica but adds to the eerie feeling surrrounding the movie. If they did change it, hopefully it wasn't too drastic.

So who's going out to get it today? I'm going to get mine on the net for about $15 unless Best Buy has a good price. List is $26.95, I believe. Also, is anyone buying the "Big Pimpin' Box Set" with the original movie? Looks like a nice place to  stash some blunts......

I agree, the whole VH1 tie in is a bunch of crap I tell ya.........if it's not Scottish.....IT'S CRRRAP!!! Fo shizzle my continuous drizzle.
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

Quote from: freakerdudeAlso, is anyone buying the "Big Pimpin' Box Set" with the original movie?

Took going to 6 different stores, but I finally got it. Went to Best Buy just after they opened, around 10:10, and they were already sold out. Clerk said they had people lined up before 9. Because of that, the line for the Rain Checks extended the length of the store (full of hip-hoppers and gangtas). Went to another Best Buy, 2 Targets and a Circuit City, but finally found it some the same cheap price as Best Buy ($45) at Tower Records. But it was so worth the hunt.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: freakerdudeAlso, is anyone buying the "Big Pimpin' Box Set" with the original movie?

Took going to 6 different stores, but I finally got it. Went to Best Buy just after they opened, around 10:10, and they were already sold out. Clerk said they had people lined up before 9. Because of that, the line for the Rain Checks extended the length of the store (full of hip-hoppers and gangtas). Went to another Best Buy, 2 Targets and a Circuit City, but finally found it some the same cheap price as Best Buy ($45) at Tower Records. But it was so worth the hunt.

I'm tempted to get the box set so I could see the Hawks version.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: MacGuffin

I'm tempted to get the box set so I could see the Hawks version.

..LoL...whats the "big pimpin' " box set?>>>>>>>....or did i miss somethign ont htis thread..earlier..

freakerdude

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwhats the "big pimpin' " box set?>>>>>>>....or did i miss somethign ont htis thread..earlier..
That is what I dubbed the box set that comes with the original movie from 1932. I just thought it was funny how this is being tied in to rap and nick'd it the Big Pimpin' Box Set.

You can have it delivered to your door for $41.89 total at
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA023158
MC Pee Pants

Thecowgoooesmooo

Just got the dvd yesterday. Wish there was a commentary on tha motha fucka. Fuck!

I accidently picked up the full screen version, I assumed for some reason all would be in wide screen... YOU MOTHA FUCKA! FUCK! FUCK!

c

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I think I'll pick this up, though I've never seen it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SoNowThen

Got mine.

How come no insert booklet? Did the American version have an insert booklet?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

smash

Nope...no insert here either.  Just a damned ad for the soundtrack and some other stuff