Scarface

Started by SoNowThen, May 17, 2003, 12:35:45 PM

SoNowThen

I've heard whisperings that we may get a new Special Edition, since the old dvd is oop. Anybody confirm?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

I've been hearing this for quite a while, but I still don't see any immediate sign.

MacGuffin knows, I bet.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: SoNowThenI've heard whisperings that we may get a new Special Edition, since the old dvd is oop. Anybody confirm?

Rappers rejoice

MacGuffin

What I found from a exclusive "Scarface" site:

What's up with the DVD being out of print!
Apparently this has been discontinued and now commands a very high price! Word is they are going to release a new edition (although they currently deny it), but I haven't heard when. Most likely later in 2003.
If you see a "Scarface DVD" on ebay or other online auctions, or amazon marketplace, be sure it's the real DVD, not a VCD or asian bootleg. I've seen some sold as "DTS DVD" but I've never heard of Scarface released as DTS, so I doubt they're legit.

How many times is the word fuck said in Scarface?
Okay, I needed a definitive answer and I finally got around to it. No where on the www could I find a total I trusted. One site said 206, but I counted 218. I counted the other curses, too, with closed-captioning on. (I counted more than was in the subtitles). I don't know about the Blink 182 theory, that they got "182" fuck's from the film, but someone suggested that maybe it was the number of times Tony himself said it rather than everyone combined. Or maybe they took 218 and moved the 2 to the end to make 182?
218 "fucks" in a 170 minute movie!

Here's the breakdown:

Fuck: 218 (Fucking, 101; Fuck, 99; Fucked, 12; Fucker, 2; Motherfucker, 4)
Shit: 19
Bullshit: 4
Cocksucker: 7
Ass: 9
Asshole: 8
Son of a bitch: 5
Bitch: 1
Pussy: 4
Prick: 2
Bastard: 1

That's 278 total curses -- one every 36 seconds!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

When it is re-released, I think the main features will be a remastered picture and in DTS rather than more extras.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

how dated is the soundtrack to this movie?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02how dated is the soundtrack to this movie?

De Palma always has the cheesiest music in his movies- I always think of the field-exercise scene in Carrie- 'cos I think he's always trying to be really contemporary. Which, 20 years later, can be pretty obvious.

I like Debbie Harry, though. Maybe "Rush Rush" is just cheesy eighties synth-pop, but I think it's at least as good as "Call Me" (my least favorite Blondie song after "The Tide is High"), and we are talking about the man who directed a music vid for Frankie Goes to Hollywood.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Victor

how dated is the soundtrack for boogie nights? as long as it works for the story.

anyway, no wonder those netflix motherfuckers dont have it. how can a classic like this be out of print, thats ludicrous.
are you gonna eat with us too?

film_gawd

i'm sorry to break this to you guys but scarface is truely one of the worst pictures ever.  i'm completely boggled as to why every wanna be playa/gangsta is so into that movie!  the film as no plot or character development, and at a three hour running time, it damn well should have at least on of those!  plus the acting is terrible, which is unusal for pacino.  maybe its just me and i "don't get it" but just becuase a film is old does not qaulify it to be a classic.  don't let that term just fly around to any film older than fifteen years.
"i know i'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me superman!"

Cecil

Pubrick

Quote from: cecil b. dementedtroll
yep, what can u do.. they hav the internet in high schools now.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Ignore those comments... he's just a Poser

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiMore like a Unelli to me.
woah, these innuendos are reaching grand proportions, epic even.  :shock:
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Hitting shelves on September 9th is a new 20th Anniversary Edition of the Brian de Palma bloodfest Scarface, starring Al Pacino as the legendary Tony Montana. With an anamorphic widescreen transfer and new Dolby Digital 5.1 remix, and stay tuned for further specs...

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

That -- is -- so -- sweet!!!
Thanks for the good news, Mac.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.