Pool Rules

Started by wilberfan, November 28, 2017, 01:11:00 PM

wilberfan

As one of the newer participants around here, I am still learning in ins and outs of what apparently is proper (and discouraged) behavior.  The more helpful (or more easily annoyed) of you will occasionally PM me with helpful hints on how better to conduct myself.  Which I appreciate.

I'm wondering if they're couldn't/shouldn't be a Guide to Overly Enthusiastic New Members that could be pinned up somewhere?  I'm intuiting that there is a definite set of do's and don't around here--and it might be more efficient (and less embarrassing) if they were collected in one place--rather than have us Learning Curvers discover them piecemeal.  (Or maybe I should have just lurked more and absorbed the "XZ" (Xixax Zeitgeist)...)

While I would not look forward to being put thru the Secret Initiation Ritual, I would appreciate learning the Secret Handshake when you feel I've earned the priviledge.

Jeremy Blackman

You can relax. The "rules" are mostly just common sense. I don't think you're in danger of being overly antagonistic or trolling or anything, so nothing to worry about.

The only weird guideline I can think of (which seems to differ greatly from other places) is that we encourage posting in old threads, even necro'ing threads from 10 years ago. So if you think there's a thread on a thing, do a quick search, and reply to that. If you start a new thread and one already exists, no big deal. We might link to the old thread or combine threads.

To your point, though — in general I think we aspire to be welcoming to folks such as yourself. If we're not, and if we do seem too insular, I kind of view that as a failure on our part. But hopefully that's not the case.

wilberfan

Good to know.  But so far I've been gently encouraged to avoid emojis and modify posts (instead of adding an add'l comment if my post is the last in the thread.)   Logical and reasonable, I guess.    Just wondered if there were other things considered "polite behavior"...or otherwise well-accepted practices...