Dark Night

Started by wilder, February 02, 2017, 04:37:36 PM

wilder

Written and Directed by Tim Sutton
Release Date - TBD
The Playlist's review

A haunting, artfully understated critique of American gun culture, Tim Sutton's third feature is loosely based around the 2012 massacre in Aurora, Colorado that took place during a multiplex screening of "The Dark Knight Rises." Employing a mesmerizing documentary-style technique and a cast of non-professional actors, DARK NIGHT follows the activities of six strangers over the course of one day, from sunrise to midnight, the shooter among them. Shot in Sarasota, Florida and lensed by veteran French DP Hélène Louvart (PINA, THE BEACHES OF AGNES), the dream-like visuals articulate both Sutton's carefully crafted landscapes and the characters' sense of alienation and suburban malaise.

Jeremy Blackman

Looks heavily inspired by Elephant. I'm in.

wilder

Jeremy Blackman

Not sure I can give this a fair review, because I didn't watch the whole thing. I'll just say that I did not like what I saw. It begins trying to capitalize on unearned gravitas and just kind of falls apart from there. Attempts to emulate Elephant but does not seem to be working at all. This is perhaps the only film I've seen that actually achieves zero momentum.

There is so much silence and stillness that you get excited when the music arrives, but the music is god-awful, and it keeps coming back.

At about 30 min I was confronted with a choice: stop watching or fast forward. Decided to fast forward to try to find a scene I would like, but I was not successful.

wilder

Yeah, I only made it 15 minutes the other night. The Russian roulette game I play posting trailers by unknown directors doesn't seem to work out often enough.

Jeremy Blackman

To be fair, it looked amazing. And it still does have some very effusive reviews.

So did you not make it to the scene that is literally Google Street View for like 3 full minutes?