Assorted TV news

Started by Jeremy Blackman, December 04, 2016, 03:42:19 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Here's a list of which shows have been renewed or cancelled, recently updated:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/cancelled-and-renewed-tv-shows-2016-2017/

Note: "cancelled" in many cases just means "ended."

Jeremy Blackman

Buckle up...

Upcoming premieres of note:

Better Call Saul
April 10 (AMC)

Mystery Science Theater 3000
April 14 (Netflix)

The Leftovers
April 16 (HBO)

Veep
April 16 (HBO)

Fargo
April 19 (FX)

Bill Nye Saves the World
April 21 (Netflix)

Master of None
May 12 (Netflix)

Twin Peaks
May 21 (Showtime)

House of Cards
May 30 (Netflix)

Game of Thrones
July 16 (HBO)

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-premiere-dates

Fuzzy Dunlop

...And Andy Daly's REVIEW is coming back tonight for a shortened final season!

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 16, 2017, 01:33:06 PM
Buckle up...

Upcoming premieres of note:

Also...

Silicon Valley
April 23 (HBO)

Orphan Black
June 10 (BBC America)
Tatiana Maslany is incredible in this.

Currently Airing.

The Americans (FX)
Wonder if anyone here watches that.

Homeland
It's still fun, what isn't is Carrie is out of the CIA, she's in, she's out!

Big Little Lies (HBO)
Forgot this one, so far so good.

Jeremy Blackman

If you're trying to get me to like superhero movies, this is not working...

E: Apparently this is a TV thing.

wilder

'Get Out's Jordan Peele Teams With WBTV, HBO & Bad Robot For 'Lovecraft Country' Drama Series; Misha Green Writing
via Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Get Out writer-director Jordan Peele's Monkeypaw Productions is teaming with J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot and Warner Bros Television on Lovecraft Country, a one-hour drama that has been given a straight-to-series order by HBO. The pilot will be written by Underground executive producer/showrunner/writer Misha Green. Peele will be exec producer along with Green, Abrams and Ben Stephenson. Green will be showrunner.

There is connective tissue to Peele's breakout genre feature Get Out, which brought a Black Lives Matter theme to the horror genre. Lovecraft Country, the 2016 novel from Matt Ruff, focuses on 25-year-old Atticus Black. After his father goes missing, Black joins up with his friend Letitia and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America to find him. This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the malevolent spirits that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback. The goal is an anthological horror series that reclaims genre storytelling from the African-American perspective.

Peele brought the book to Bad Robot and enlisted Green.

"When I first read Lovecraft Country I knew it had the potential to be unlike anything else on television," Green said. "Jordan, JJ, Bad Robot, Warner Bros and HBO are all in the business of pushing the limits when it comes to storytelling, and I am beyond thrilled to be working with them on this project."

This comes after his Monkeypaw banner was staked to a first-look film deal at Universal. Universal-based Blumhouse made Peele's breakout genre hit Get Out, which has grossed $215 million worldwide on a $4.5 million budget. He formed Monkeypaw in 2012 to tell stories in comedy, horror and other genres, but his genre work is quickly overtaking his previous identity in comedy from MADtv and the Emmy- and Peabody-winning Comedy Central series Key & Peele.

Monkeypaw also produced Keanu, the film he starred in with his longtime TV series partner Keegan-Michael Key.

wilder

This sounds great for associative reasons

'The Lou Pearlman Story': Limited Series About Boy Band Mogul-Turned-Convict In Works From ThinkFactory, Songwriter Duo
via Deadline

Leslie Grief's ThinkFactory Media is teaming with hitmaking songwriter-producers Desmond Child and Andreas Carlsson on The Lou Pearlman Story, a limited series about the man behind megaplatinum boy bands Backstreet Boys and 'NSYNC who went from mogul to inmate after being convicted of running a huge Ponzi scheme.

Years after shepherding his boy bands to global stardom, Lou Pearlman was caught on the run and pleading guilty to conspiracy, money laundering and making false statements during a bankruptcy proceeding. By some estimates, he swindled investors out of more than $500 million, partly by creating a phony private jet company he called Transcontinental Airlines. Sentenced to 25 years in prison in 2008, he served eight years before dying in prison nearly a year ago.

ThinkFactory, Child and Carlsson have rights to 2007 Vanity Fair article titled "Mad About the Boys" by Bryan Burrough and 2008 crime thriller The Hit Charade by Tyler Gray, upon which the series will be based.

Child and Carlsson are frequent collaborators who have penned hits together or separately for Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC along with big hits by Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Ricky Martin and many others. Child is in the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

"We're incredibly excited to be working with the gifted Desmond Child and Andreas Carlsson in telling the story of Lou Pearlman and his world," said Grief, who will exec produce with Child and Carlsson. "The music business is in ThinkFactory's DNA, and I can't think of a better follow-up to our successful limited series Sun Records about the birth of rock 'n' roll in the 1950s than this story of fame, excess and the birth of the boy bands in the 1990s. Desmond and Andreas wrote the huge songs of the era and knew Lou Pearlman — they lived this story. They are the special ingredients that will help us tell this compelling tale as nobody else can."

Said Carlsson: "Lou Pearlman changed the course of popular music, and what he envisioned created the entertainment business as we know it today. I couldn't think of better partners than Desmond and Leslie to bring the most exciting chapter of my career to life." Added Child: "I am absolutely thrilled to join forces with Andreas Carlsson, Leslie Greif, ThinkFactory and our UTA team to bring Lou Pearlman's larger than life story to the screen."

UTA and Bob Lange of Kleinberg Lange are repping the project, which is separate from a planned Pearlman biopic to which Child and Carlsson were attached last year. They no longer are involved in that project.

polkablues

You had me at electric dicks.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

Incredibly jealous I cannot be in that writer's room..... But intrigued because of the great BryBry CranCran, and Travis Beacham!

wilder

Jim Carrey & Michel Gondry Reteam For Showtime Series 'Kidding'
via The Playlist

Showtime has given "Kidding" a first season order, with Carrey starring and executive producing the half-hour comedy that will be directed by Gondry. The show will find Carrey playing Jeff, aka Mr. Pickles, an icon of children's television, a beacon of kindness and wisdom to America's impressionable young minds and the parents who grew up with him – who also anchors a multimillion dollar branding empire. But when this beloved personality's family – wife, two sons, sister and father – begins to implode, Jeff finds no fairy tale or fable or puppet will guide him through this crisis, which advances faster than his means to cope. The result: a kind man in a cruel world faces a slow leak of sanity as hilarious as it is heartbreaking.

wilder

Amazon Severs Ties With TWC: Drops David O. Russell Series, Takes Over 'The Romanoffs'
via Deadline

Amazon Studios has made a decision on the two Weinstein Company series it was "reviewing options" on. The company "no longer plans on moving forward with the David O'Russell Project. As for Matthew Weiner's  The Romanoffs, Amazon intends to move forward without the involvement of The Weinstein Company," the company said Friday night.

The pricey untitled David O.Russell series starring Robert De Niro and Julianne Moore and The Romanoffs got caught up in the Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal, which engulfed his now-former company, TWC,  including its television division, Weinstein TV.

Following Amazon's cancellation, the A-list trio involved in the untitled David O. Russell series announced that they are pulling the plug altogether. "We support Amazon's decision as In light of recent news and out of respect for all those affected we have decided together that it is best to not move forward with this show," David O. Russell, Robert De Niro and Julianne Moore said in a statement.

wilder

Casey Affleck To Star In Alfonso Cuarón Horror Drama TV Series
via Deadline

A drama series package featuring two Oscan winners, filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón and actor Casey Affleck, has hit the premium TV space. I hear the Anonymous Content project is being pitched to pay cable and streaming outlets, garnering interest from multiple networks.

Details about the projects are being kept under wraps but I hear it is a horror genre series that tracks the origins of a cult. Cuarón is writing, directing and executive producing; Affleck is starring and executive producing. Anonymous Content, which signed Cuarón earlier this year, is producing.

wilder

eOne Teams With Vicky Jones & Phoebe Waller-Bridge On Romantic Comedy Thriller Series 'Run'
via Deadline

Entertainment One is teaming with Vicky Jones (Killing Eve) and Fleabag creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge via Jones and Waller-Bridge's DryWrite banner, on romantic thriller comedy series Run. The project was announced by Mark Gordon, eOne's President and Chief Content Officer, Film, Television and Digital at eOne's annual Drama Preview Thursday morning in London.

Written by Jones with Waller-Bridge in a recurring role, Run is a romantic-comedic-thriller about ex-lovers who made a pact 15 years ago that if they ever needed to escape life, they could send each other a simple text message – "RUN" – and impulsively disappear together. Run is their story. Jones and Waller-Bridge will executive produce alongside Emily Leo of Wigwam Films (BAFTA-winning Under the Shadow).

The series will be spearheaded by Carolyn Newman and Polly Williams for eOne.

Jones directed the plays Mydidae and Fleabag and penned the plays Touch and The One. In addition to creating and starring in Fleabag and Crashing, Waller-Bridge's credits include an upcoming role in Solo: A Star Wars Story, as well as roles in Broadchurch, The Cafe and The Iron Lady.

wilder

Emma Thompson Sets Up Long-Lost Hollywood Script 'Harrow's Alley' With Bad Wolf
via Deadline

One of Hollywood's long-lost scripts, period horror thriller Harrow's Alley, could finally see the light of day after British actor and writer Emma Thompson partnered with His Dark Materials producer Bad Wolf to develop it for the small screen. The project is set up at HBO, sources said.

The original script was written by Walter Newman, who was nominated for three Oscars, 1951's Ace In The Hole, 1965's Cat Ballou and 1978's Bloodbrothers, in the 1960s but never managed to make it to screen, despite the involvement of George C Scott and other high-profile talent, as a result of its dark subject matter and big-budget requirements.

Thompson, who has been involved in helping it along since the early 2000s, has now parked it at Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner's UK/U.S. drama production company Bad Wolf in order to take advantage of the major budgets associated with the global drama boom. I understand that Bad Wolf, which is backed by HBO and UK's Sky along with Len Blavatnik's Access Entertainment, is in the "very early stages" of development with the project.

Harrow's Alley is set during the black plague in the 17th century and follows an English town as it deteriorates. It follows the fortunes of two men, likeable but lawless rogue Ratsey and well-meaning alderman Harry, who are both trying to survive the dangers of the time.

Newman called Harrow's Alley the "high point of my professional life, a creative frenzy for nearly 12 wonderful months". Of his 172-page script, which has been widely circulated online and used in film classes, in 1978, Newman told the New York Times that the likes of My Fair Lady star Rex Harrison, Room At The Top star Laurence Harvey and The Stepford Wives (and Deadfall) director Bryan Forbes had been attached at various points. Newman, who died in 1993, said that he was given the opportunity to produce it for network television, but said, "I just couldn't see squeezing it into a Universal movie‐of‐the‐week budget. That would have strangled it." But he added, "Someday, somehow, I'm going to get at made. That's all I can tell you."

While, Thompson, who had previously attempted to make it as a feature with Miramax, is best known for her role in front of the camera in films such as Howards End, Sense and Sensibility, Harry Potter and Saving Mr Banks, she has a number of A-list writing credits including Bridget Jones' Baby, Nanny McPhee and HBO's Wit, which she co-wrote with Mike Nichols. Here's hoping Thompson can be the person to finally make it happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ace in the Hole is a classic Hollywood screenplay high point, and Emma Thompson is great in everything, so fingers crossed