Kong: Skull Island

Started by wilder, July 23, 2016, 08:25:56 PM

wilder

Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts
Starring Tom Hiddleston, Toby Kebbell, Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, John Goodman, and John C. Reilly
Release Date - March 10, 2017

jenkins

i mean seriously.

i'm going sunday afternoon. i already decided to go months ago, plus there's widespread agreement about their billboards being good ideas

i was at rotten tomatoes. "You see / What you want to see" is my current expression obsession. i like comparing these two critic quotes:

QuoteScratches your monster-movie itch without ever once providing an injection of unpredictability or eccentricity. It lacks neither fun nor polish, but it has the square tidiness of a compartmentalized fast-food meal.

QuoteAll the requisite elements are served up here in ideal proportion, and the time just flies by, which can rarely be said for films of this nature.

a reply to what's perhaps on your mind

QuoteThe surprise is that Skull Island isn't just ten times as good as Jurassic World; it's a rousing and smartly crafted primordial-beastie spectacular.

Lottery

The writers must have really been into Apocalypse Now and Moby Dick when working on this movie.

It didn't have the colossal scale and terror of Godzilla but I enjoyed it.
Actually, it felt a bit small for a story like this. It was kinda rushed and some of the characters felt extraneous- very few of the characters got any development at all.

Legendary must have really taken the fan notes to heart, that monkey was on screen a whole lot. They also injected the project with a lot of style and occasionally succesful humour to contrast with Godzilla.

I'd say 'ten times as good as Jurassic World' is pretty accurate.

MILD SPOILERS

Though really, how is Kong supposed to take on Godzilla? He'd get stomped. He's supposed to still be growing but he doesn't seem like much of a threat after MUTOS, Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah.

jenkins

Quote from: Lottery on March 18, 2017, 08:24:49 AM
They also injected the project with a lot of style

King Kong was colossal in terms of its cinematic imagination, i thought.

i went to the movie to have fun and i don't actually quite believe in serious movies anymore, by the way. because it's through life where you learn about life. a movie is always a lie. yes that may convey my idea that it's better to feel like a movie.

i liked the very first sequence with the swordfight in the sunset, then when they were approaching the island on the helicopters and a lightning storm happened while pilot/leader Sam L talked about his mother in a calm voice, then the entire rest of the movie.

i almost spontaneously clapped at least five times. a couple of times i felt like i was losing my shit.

when the guy pulled the two grenades he'd hold! when King Kong surprised me by eating! when i watched King Kong eat a person from a helicopter! when John C explained things!

really for the fact of John C alone it's a perfectly tuned 30s movie here in 2017. one thing to the next, that's how you do it. you're on a motorcycle in your narrative, that's the law of a fun narrative. really the question is was it rushed enough? emotional complexities are for other movies. this story was small and tuned to specific responses from characters experiencing the mania.

the final battle between King Kong and Godzilla is really a matter of movie magic, and it sounds to me like the odds are on the ape's side in terms of surprising the audience.

Robyn

Quote from: jenkins on March 18, 2017, 07:15:55 PM
Quote from: Lottery on March 18, 2017, 08:24:49 AM
They also injected the project with a lot of style

King Kong was colossal in terms of its cinematic imagination, i thought.

i went to the movie to have fun and i don't actually quite believe in serious movies anymore, by the way. because it's through life where you learn about life. a movie is always a lie. yes that may convey my idea that it's better to feel like a movie.

i liked the very first sequence with the swordfight in the sunset, then when they were approaching the island on the helicopters and a lightning storm happened while pilot/leader Sam L talked about his mother in a calm voice, then the entire rest of the movie.

i almost spontaneously clapped at least five times. a couple of times i felt like i was losing my shit.

when the guy pulled the two grenades he'd hold! when King Kong surprised me by eating! when i watched King Kong eat a person from a helicopter! when John C explained things!

really for the fact of John C alone it's a perfectly tuned 30s movie here in 2017. one thing to the next, that's how you do it. you're on a motorcycle in your narrative, that's the law of a fun narrative. really the question is was it rushed enough? emotional complexities are for other movies. this story was small and tuned to specific responses from characters experiencing the mania.

the final battle between King Kong and Godzilla is really a matter of movie magic, and it sounds to me like the odds are on the ape's side in terms of surprising the audience.

i've seen the trailers on tv and thought it looked silly but now i want to see this

btw i love jenkins <3

diggler

I loved this for the use of the Nixon bobblehead alone. Everything else was the icing on top.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Robyn

worth a watch because of the visuals alone.

nothing spectacular but perfect for what it was, i had fun and liked it

have never seen a better looking scene than that green gas/lizard-scene in a stupid monster film like this

jenkins