Swiss Army Man

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 23, 2016, 04:56:43 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Sundance: Daniel Radcliffe's Farting Corpse Movie Prompts Walk-Outs

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/daniel-radcliffe-farting-corpse-swiss-army-man-1201686756/

One of the most anticipated movies at this year's Sundance Film Festival also turned out to be among the most divisive. On Friday afternoon, the Eccles Theater had to turn away hundreds of movie fans, and even a few industry VIPs, at the packed premiere of "Swiss Army Man," starring Daniel Radcliffe and Paul Dano.

But the bizarre fable about a lost man (Dano) who befriends a farting corpse (Radcliffe) could win the festival's award for the most walk-outs, as a continuous stream of audience members kept standing up and bolting for the door throughout the film.

The indie, directed by the music video duo Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, opens with Radcliffe (as the corpse) washing onto a shore. Dano's character inspects the body, as it comes to life by twitching and passing gas.

The story unfolds in a magical realist style and features long discussions about masturbation, isolation and the meaning of life. It also features a kiss between Dano and Radcliffe (who continues to flee his Harry Potter image by taking part in a reoccurring gag where his dead character maintains an erection).

"The chance to play a dead guy in this context was too much fun to pass up," Radcliffe said in an audience Q and A.

Scheinert said the inspiration for the story was "a fart joke."

The film has drawn mixed reactions.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 23, 2016, 04:56:43 PM
The film has drawn mixed reactions.

I would expect nothing less from the Daniels. Can't wait.

Jeremy Blackman

:shock:

That was... definitely something...

Jeremy Blackman

Jeremy Blackman

Red band trailer. Seems a little more spoilery.

RegularKarate

LOVED THIS!
A lot of people are going to hate it. Not just because of the farting, but because of the quirkiness.
But man, it worked for me. I can't believe how close to tears I got watching a movie so loaded with farts. Sign me up to follow the Daniels' film carreer for at least four more movies (assuming they might have a poor Sophomore effort and then maybe a studio-ruined mainstream attempt).

i agree with you completely, RK.
i loved the quirkiness but it will seperate audiences as much as a jean pierre jeunet film.
this film was a straight knockout that i was very skeptical of.
you will be glad you at least gave it a chance.

Jeremy Blackman

This is a truly confounding movie. It is equal parts sincere and trolling. When I say equal, I mean it's so exactly equal that it drives you to madness. I think I loved it. Surely one of the best of 2016.

MAJOR SPOILERS

The final fifteen minutes was amazing. I love those kinds of sequences that recontextualize everything.

I wasn't completely sold on all the arts and crafts stuff, though. It got a little precious. And at the time I was like, okay, why is he building these elaborate theater sets and puppet shows, then continuing his journey... and building them again? This bothered me as a plot hole perhaps more than it should have. But of course, considering the ultimate reveal, maybe I should have figured it out.