Master of None

Started by ono, November 07, 2015, 08:45:51 PM

ono

Aziz Ansari, Noel Wells (read: Zooey Deschanel 2.0).  New show on Netflix, just came out a couple days ago.

I binge watched it all today, and it was so enjoyable.  It reminded me of a more upbeat Louie in tone.  Each episode tackles a different theme, and yet still somehow manages to contribute to a solid arc.  Inspirational, introspective, all the while managing to be funny while addressing issues and not being heavy handed about it (well, except maybe in a few spots here and there).  Ducks conventionality at every turn and hits every note in remaining real and true to life in the interactions of all its characters, and especially the primary relationship.

Can't wait to see where it goes next.

cronopio2

watched the entire season yesterday.

it's cheesy, but a 'new' kind of cheesy, basically the Chipotle of comedy. "Comedy with integrity".
it's Louie's show plus 500 days of summer.

i dunno. it's set in new york so i am biased to perceive it as frivolous. i acknowledge that people in 21st century new york have ideas, but the importance of those ideas is questionable because of how homogenous life is over there. sorry.

i liked watching h. jon benjamin acting, and aziz's actual parents are adorable. 

cute escapism/10

ono

cronopio2

Garam

I'm seein double here!! FOUR KRUSTIES!!

cronopio2

i think about that joke weekly, Garam

Jeremy Blackman

Reel

Quote from: Garam on November 11, 2015, 04:25:39 AM
Aziz Ansari has found his way on to my list of comedians whose stand up I find appalling but who are charismatic in scripted comedy (also on my list; David Cross, Jerry Seinfeld...

I detest him onstage so I thought this show wouldn't be for me. Your explanation gives me an incentive to watch, but I just don't need any more Aziz sprinkled into my life, thank you.

RegularKarate

To be fair, Aziz used to be really good and promising on stage. Then he slipped away from stand-up and started getting famous for other things. The mistake he made was coming back to stand-up occasionally without having the time to commit to making it good stand-up any more. He got soft.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Master of None. The acting is pretty bad, but fits the writing perfectly. Really funny stuff.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ono on November 07, 2015, 08:45:51 PM
Noel Wells (read: Zooey Deschanel 2.0) 

I feel too old to really crush on anyone in any way like I used to, but damn, Noel Wells definitely charmed me. And now that you say Zooey Deschanel, it perfectly hits the kind of crush, too. I think all of us have fond memories of watching All the Real Girls for the first time (regardless of film's quality) for Zooey.