Author Topic: Tangerine  (Read 1408 times)

Cloudy

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +253
Tangerine
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »
+1

Tangerine
by Sean Baker

Everyone here knows about this movie. Still blown away and completely jolted with inspiration by what I saw last night. . . Labelling this as an 'iphone movie' demeans every meticulous ounce of compassion and craft within it.

You see how the dynamic could have been like on set. (Baker cites PTA around the ~23 min mark)

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1207
Re: Tangerine
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »
the great thing happening, we all know this feels great, the great thing happening to me is my affection for this movie is growing over time, and it already started strong
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

Garam

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
I really hate this film's poster (so fucking 2011-y, move on), but I read this review by someone I respect that got me excited about it. Available now. Will watch sometime soon.

This was mentioned in the Good / Bad Films doodah but fuck it, it’s really, really good an deserves its own thread. Just came out Friday past in the UK. Produced by the Duplass Brothers but don’t let that put you off, as it initially did me, for this feels nothin like the shit they've been puttin out this last while. I haven't seen anything else directed by Sean Baker, but I'll be doin so as soon as possible, for if this is any indication then the man is just fantastic.

A plot description does it no justice whatsoever – essentially transgender prostitute fresh out jail goes careerin across LA in a rage on Christmas Eve because her boyfriend has been shagging another lass while she was away. Meanwhile a taxi driver cruises about the place, sometimes workin, sometimes not workin. What they do with that fairly slim plot is revelatory. The (largely improvised) performances are just brilliant, and the characters themselves – some of whom we only meet for maybe a couple minutes – hugely compelling throughout.

The rhythm of the thing… I mean it is intoxicatin as fuck. Relentlessly paced, never a second wasted. The fairly novel details of its production – shot on the hoof usin a modified iPhone (and then obviously spruced up to no end in post, but still) are fascinatin – and inspirin – but only because the end result is so fuckin good.

Countless brilliant sequences and moments:  An impromptu critique of someone’s gig delivered by another character too high to realise they should shut the fuck up, for example, was just painfully Spot On; the blowjob in the car-wash; the business in the brothel… just astonishing.

As I said on the other thread, it took a minute or two to click with me, for the first thing you see is “A Duplass Brothers Production” or some such and that just turned my stomach from the off, and the first scene is a wee bit off (editin issues, performances a wee bit shakier than elsewhere). Also the look of the thing does take a second or two to get used to – kind of like how Lars Von Trier’s films looked around the time of The Idiots, or Dancer in the Dark. Abrasive and lookin a bit like they’ve been shot at a higher frame rate or somethin. But that levels out pretty quickly.

Anyway I’d definitely recommend it.  One of my Best of 2015s for sure.

jenkins

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »
the Duplass comment can be illustrated even within a 2015 context, as to say Tangerine > The Overnight, but like a lot, maybe say Tangerine >>> The Overnight, and the latter has Jason Schwartzman and Adam Scott. which i think also illustrates how much talent Sean Baker has.

i'd like to continue supporting this movie and gain Garam's respect.
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

Garam

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
I respect every member on this forum, but i wouldn't read too much into that - my opinion means less than fuck all.

jenkins

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 07:08:20 PM »
your opinion i give at least two fucks about. thanks for having a feelings side-chat with me.

jenkins

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »

jenkins

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:24:24 PM »

not having already started a Sean Baker thread is my mistake

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy