Ash vs The Evil Dead

Started by wilder, July 11, 2015, 04:05:27 PM

wilder

Ash has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead until a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind and Ash becomes mankind's only hope.

Premieres October 31, 2015 on Starz

Garam

First episode by Sam Raimi (first in 23 years - come on, Xixax!) was a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing where they'll go with this. Second series already greenlit.

Reel

polkablues

For all the (many) faults of the Evil Dead reboot movie, at least it was its own thing, trying to do something new and different. This is just empty nostalgia-bait, a cover band version of itself, closer to an adaptation of a Buzzfeed listicle ("10 Super Awesome Things You Loved About the Evil Dead Trilogy!)" than an actual original work. Maybe it'll blossom into something richer and more interesting, but it's going to take a lot to convince me to stick around and find out.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Garam

Considering it was the first time Raimi and Campbell have reunited in a quarter of a century in this world that they created I feel like they've earnt it. It's nowhere near as derivative of it's source as the first season of Fargo, and uhh...it's the actual creators. It is an original work - these guys invented it!

I agree that if they do the same thing week in, week out it'll be a waste of time, but I think these guys deserve to have some fun with their old creation to kickstart the series off.

polkablues

That's the problem, though; it was like a great band getting together 25 years later just to hang out in the garage and play their old hits. Like, I'm sure they have a grand old time doing it, but until they write some new songs, I'd just as soon listen to the original albums.

That's not to say it's bad, it just didn't give me a reason to care.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

I'm kinda mixed on this. First I'll say, it's hard to tell after just one episode what this thing will turn into. I will say that I hated the Evil Dead reboot so at least it's nice to see Bruce and Sam together again. There were some really fun moments in the pilot that worked and hit the nostalgia buttons right but also some other stuff that just didn't, in addition to the overall digital TV-ness of it and the kinda lame supporting characters. I'm trying to give it an open mind though and remembering that there were Evil Dead fans who felt betrayed by Army Of Darkness for being such a tonal shift from the first two ED's whereas for me I had no idea what Evil Dead was when I saw AoD on VHS in like 5th grade and it was like the greatest movie I'd ever seen, so basically just trying to judge this based on what it and not what it isn't.

That said...

I can't help but feel a twinge of disappointment that Raimi and co. passed this off to TV. Seems like the stakes are so much lower for Raimi when he can come in and throw down a few ideas, direct the pilot and basically step away. And seems more like Raimi trying to give the fans what they want rather than do something he's actually interested, which is a shame because on the other hand there's Mad Max: Fury Road. The Evil Dead and Mad Max films had similar trajectories:

1st film = no budget, basically homegrown exploitation film.
2nd film = the masterpiece. refinement of style. bigger budget.
3rd film = studio film. the left turn into a different genre of film. (Mad Max basically a Star Wars fantasy kids film and Army of Darkness a medieval comedy.)

So consider George Miller, who is proud of the world he created and decided he had more he could do with it and came back with Fury Road which is both like his earlier films and a huge step forward from them. And imagine if instead of pawning this off as a Starz show said, "Alright 2015, I'm gonna show you what the real Evil Dead really looks like today" and went balls out with it. That would really have been something.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Garam

This is Evil Dead reaching its logical conclusion as a sitcom.