What could PTA's 8th film be? Fun speculation.

Started by TheImaginator16, March 06, 2014, 02:24:44 PM

TheImaginator16

I'm just thinking what PTA's 8th film could be. I know it's almost a year until Inherent Vice comes out, but a bit of speculation is always fun.
I personally would love to see some sort of sci fi horror from him. Of course a sci fi horror with all the quality and quirk of a normal PTA film. He hasn't done much fantastical far fetched stuff and I think he'd wonderfully suit it.
Another idea I had, although this is basically as far fetched and unlikely and crazy as ideas can get, I would love PTA to adapt the entire Bioshock series in one 6 hour film. A film that goes from the first Bioshock, to Infinite and then covers Burial At Sea as the last third. I think it would be VERY difficult to make into a coherent and watchable film but if done right could be amazing. PTA could handle the subtext, atmosphere, music and crazy characters very well. 
What would you guys like to see in his next film?
And, bonus question, what is your favourite of his films? Mine is The Master, followed by Magnolia right behind it.

Axolotl

He'll write and direct an HBO miniseries.

It will be an adaptation of Against the Day.
He's been dropping references to the book both in The Master and in the press shit he did for it. It'll be the best thing ever and the apotheosis of the cable TV series/miniseries as the primary medium to tell expansive and literary visual narratives on.

And it will never happen.

Frederico Fellini

METAL GEAR SOLID movie adaptation, starring Matt Damon.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Drenk

Quote from: Axolotl on March 06, 2014, 02:51:08 PM

It will be an adaptation of Against the Day.
He's been dropping references to the book both in The Master and in the press shit he did for it. It'll be the best thing ever and the apotheosis of the cable TV series/miniseries as the primary medium to tell expansive and literary visual narratives on.

And it will never happen.

No. It will be an adaption of Mason & Dixon/remake of The Master with Joaquin Phoenix (Dixon) and the ghost of PSH (Mason). It will be available in 70mm brain cells than you have to put under your eyes.
Ascension.

N

PTA directing a bioshock adaptation?
Didn't think Bioshock needed an adaptation.

Pretty cool series on it's own, I'd like to see PTA do some more original stuff.

He should go to Japan and finance the completion of Dreaming Machine, then at the same time work on an amazing homage to japanese horror films everywhere.
Just saying, I wanna see Tokyo through PTA's eyes.

polkablues

Quote from: Axolotl on March 06, 2014, 02:51:08 PM

I could see HBO, after snorting a bunch of True Detective cocaine through a bunch of rolled-up Game of Thrones thousand-dollar bills, giving him a suitcase full of cash and free reign to do eight episodes of whatever he wanted. I can see it changing the way we think about television forever. I can see Pubrick being disappointed by the last episode. Let's make it happen.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

I think it's kinda exciting, we knew about Inherent Vice around the same time as The Master but there's little to no indication of what he'll do next.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

A Musical!

That or something that isn't a period piece...although he does 'em better than anyone else

Lottery

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Drenk

Ascension.

Pubrick

Who thinks it'll be another thread by TheImaginator16?
under the paving stones.

TheImaginator16

I think it will be a Punch-Drunk Love-esque story of discord vs harmony. An innocent user on XIXAX tries to find peace and harmony among the forum but, after making a few premature mistakes, the user is haunted by a certain pubey Mattress Man with comment after comment of disapproval. ;)
Doesn't that sound ripe for PTA brilliance? A harrowing and twisted yet life nicely fairy tale-like too, set in cyber space.

Just joking Pubrick. What would you actually want to see in his 8th film?  :yabbse-smiley:

TheImaginator16

Quote from: N on March 10, 2014, 05:47:06 PM
PTA directing a bioshock adaptation?
Didn't think Bioshock needed an adaptation.

Pretty cool series on it's own, I'd like to see PTA do some more original stuff.

I do agree that it's a very cool series on it's own and I too would like to see PTA do more original stuff. I would just love for him to adapt it.
I thought that Infinite was a game full of really interesting concepts and ideas but for me none of the execution lived up to the promise of the concepts and music and the idea of the story. After slight disappointment after playing it, I started thinking about the possibility of a film adaptation as I reckon it could work really well as a film. Same narrative, characters and music but just made to do the concepts more justice. And a film that would have less constant irritating gun fights ;) . That got me thinking that I'd love to see PTA do the film, and from then I just started to think why just Infinite when he could do the whole series?! Could turn it into this amazing 6 hour epic that spans time and space, whilst also correcting some of the failures of the game series. Personally the first Bioshock is my favourite game of all time but I would be the first to admit the last quarter of it wasn't as genius as the rest of the game. Maybe the film could improve this. This film, I think, would be amaaziiin. Exploring both civilizations and time periods and themes of Rapture and Columbia in the first two thirds of the film and then it all culminating in an adaptation of the "Burial at Sea" DLC that combines both. The story is full of enough false prophets and corrupt and greedy titans for a PTA film and the respective period piece settings with all the music and art and character is a perfect fit too! :D This is all just a dream though and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't ever happen. A man can dream though I suppose. If the adaptation never happened it would still be perfectly happy though. I would much prefer no adaptation than a really shit one.

Yeah! I too would love to see PTA's take on Japan and horror.

N

I've only played the first two and only finished the first game.
I agree the ending was a let down, with the exception of the Andrew Ryan revelation which I thought was great for it's intensity and the golf club.

It's rare to see a game find an effective level of depth in it's storytelling. With that being said I thought the twist was objectively mediocre and could do with a third of the acclaim it gets. What I loved about the game most was it's depiction of the dystopian Rapture. With it's ubiquitous portal-esque propoganda stretching it's desperation to and beyond the point of irony.

This whole post would be better suited for another thread in another board but if you're into games and you haven't played Bastion, I highly recommend it.

If we do get a Bioshock movie it's far more likely to be a Paul W. S. Anderson thingy.