Author Topic: What could PTA's 8th film be? Fun speculation.  (Read 10214 times)

Gittes

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +15
Re: What could PTA's 8th film be? Fun speculation.
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2014, 12:44:19 AM »
+1
In addition to Carrey, there's obviously a long list of actors that would probably bring a lot to a PTA movie. If we stick to the comedic emphasis, though, I think Bill Hader should also be near the top of that list (on a related note, I'm now reminded of this Cigs & Red Vines update).

Kyle Mooney, too. He's on SNL right now but, based on the few recent episodes that I've seen, the show hasn't demanded enough from him. For an indication of the breadth of his talents and his distinct comedic sensibilities, see the amazing video below:

Ulivija

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2015, 12:48:09 AM »
+1
I watched the new Criterion edition of "Vanishing". Director Sluizer talks about how Kubrick loved the film, and cast its lead actress for "Aryan Papers". Then I watched a documentary about "Aryan Papers" where Kubrick's producer talks how they would love it if a great director would tackle that project that Kubrick abandoned. I know PTA would probably never direct a project that's already developed, but I think he would make a hell of a movie. The book is called "Wartime Lies", and its author Louis Begley also wrote "About Schmidt".

Larry

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
+1
BEEN DOWN SO LONG IT LOOKS LIKE UP TO ME
BY RICHARD FARINA

A FILM BY PTA

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 12:47:46 AM »
+3

Pynchon writes: It's been a while since I've read anything quite so groovy, quite such a joy from beginning to end. This book comes on like the Hallelujah Chorus done by 200 kazoo players with perfect pitch, I mean strong, swinging, skillful and reverent -- but also with the fine brassy buzz of irreverence in there too. Fariña has going for him an unerring and virtuoso instinct about exactly what, in this bewildering Republic, is serious and what cannot possibly be -- and on top of that, the honesty to come out and say it straight. In spinning his yarn he spins the reader as well, dizzily into a microcosm that manages to be hilarious, chilling, sexy, profound, maniacal, beautiful and outrageous all at the same time.
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

Larry

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2015, 11:06:28 AM »

Pynchon writes: It's been a while since I've read anything quite so groovy, quite such a joy from beginning to end. This book comes on like the Hallelujah Chorus done by 200 kazoo players with perfect pitch, I mean strong, swinging, skillful and reverent -- but also with the fine brassy buzz of irreverence in there too. Fariña has going for him an unerring and virtuoso instinct about exactly what, in this bewildering Republic, is serious and what cannot possibly be -- and on top of that, the honesty to come out and say it straight. In spinning his yarn he spins the reader as well, dizzily into a microcosm that manages to be hilarious, chilling, sexy, profound, maniacal, beautiful and outrageous all at the same time.

Have you read it, Jenks?! Thanks for the reply :D  its my favorite...ive read it twice

heres the introduction to the novel by Pynchon.. http://www.pynchon.pomona.edu/uncollected/farina.html
[wishful thinking]

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 07:20:50 PM »
Have you read it, Jenks?! Thanks for the reply :D  its my favorite...ive read it twice

<3 nah i bought it 'cause of the writer's pynchon friendship, the writer's fascinating irl story and because of the title, but it's been sitting on my shelf for years and years though you did just juice up my interests again
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

Larry

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2015, 10:53:27 PM »

<3 nah i bought it 'cause of the writer's pynchon friendship, the writer's fascinating irl story and because of the title, but it's been sitting on my shelf for years and years though you did just juice up my interests again

thats why I read it last summer..the connection to Pynchon is mysterious and very groovy. I loved it enough the first time, and was thinking alot about it when i began brainstorming for this short film (im working on). the second time reading it was even funnier and ridiculous. mostly for the ideas that the protagonist exemplifies through his thought and action. concepts of Exemption, the memories we create and hold onto from the past, transporting to a different time & place, effects of drug abuse on mental function, individual differences in sexual desire... its a funny book! feel that pta tackles many of these themes in his films, and it would be a stylistically flourished product through his eyes.

He covered the early 50s with the Master and 1970 with IV, but this would be a different period. The 60s decade he was trying to convince people Inherent Vice was set in ('its really the sixties') but could not due to some consensus that this was On the Beach with Neil Young. so the end of the 50s/early 60s would be tackled here, as the film is set during the end of the Cuban revolution while Farina was a student at Cornell, though it wasn't published until January 1966. it traverses a period that he has yet to cover

its fun to think about the possibilities!

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy