Started by Lottery, November 17, 2013, 12:50:51 AM

Lottery

Hmm, I expected there to be an Avatar thread. Or amybe I miss-searched again.
Oh well, Korra is part of one of my favourite animated universes.

Anyway, so I finished watching the second season earlier and while it was quite good, likely better than the previous season it may face the problem of escalation. The ending of this season was so dramatic, apocalyptic and huge that they may not be able to top it. It's exciting at the same time because the entire rules and ideas of the show have completely changed into something very unexpected.  Anyway, there are two seasons left in this series alone so hopefully it can go somewhere special.

Lottery

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

2nd season > 1st season
3rd season > 2nd season?

The animation looks more slick and stylish than ever before
Plus I see they're touching on characters I would have thought they'd simply drop (Korra's cousins)

I've yet to fall in love with this show like it's predecessor, but it's still pretty damn good

Lottery

Yeah, it definitely doesn't match the quality of TLA but it's still highly enjoyable. It seems like it's for a slighty older audience and craft-wise it's more refined.

That trailer is pretty goddamn dense though, with all those characters and out of nowhere benders, there's like a handful of new airbenders which is weird. I anticipate some questionable creative choices.

Lottery

Really good start to the new season. It possibly risks having too much going on/too many characters but overall I'm rather enjoying it.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Solid start, agreed.
They handle so much story in so little time, and it seems effortless. For a show with "Korra" in the title, I hope to see focusing on her at all times, but also enjoy the ensemble aspect to it.
I especially like this idea of new airbenders coming out of harmonic convergence only to be asked to leave their homes and lives for "something bigger". They come across not as stubborn (well...except that hipster...) but as characters with established lives, and "refusing the call" is something we all can relate to as kids and adults. That tells you that this show doesn't plan to talk down to kids, even if they present their themes in a tween-friendly manner.
Too bad Shyamalan made such a lackluster movie...this universe deserves a cinematic treatment, so at least the cartoon is breaking it's own mould in that regard.

Lottery

Thrilling conclusion to a damn decent season.

Lottery

Book 4: Balance comes out on October 3rd, less than a month. Crazy.

Lottery

Lottery

Absolutely fantastic start to the season.

Lottery

Oh yeah, the final season was kinda disappointing. It's a shame because it had so much potential. Its pacing was poor, the focus was all over the place and the final 'big thing' everythone was talking about was undeserved and arguably tacked-on. Final conflict was anticlimactic.

Overall, this series does not really come close to the Last Airbender in terms of consistency and quality but there were so many cool things here and there, so much squandered potential. I did enjoy watching this show but at the end of it all, I am somewhat disappointed.

Drenk

I began The Last Airbender yesterday, I almost finished Book One today. It is lovely. A wonderful adventures. The emotions can be harsh. Good, good, good.
Ascension.

Drenk

So! I'm in love with Legend of Korra. Book Two- Change was mind-blowing, epic and intimate. I love Korra, she doesn't clearly know what she's supposed to do. She's insecure and arrogant. Tenzin and his family break my heart; I love how they managed to make you feel the distance with A:TLA, and it makes the first series even better.
Ascension.

Lottery

I remember book two having a number of problems but it was visually and musically well-crafted. The Wan sections are amongst the highest points of either series. And yes, the shift in time between both ATLA and Korra is great. A fresh new setting and (initially) fresh new characters.