Author Topic: Sean Durkin  (Read 1566 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1640
Sean Durkin
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
'Martha Marcy' Director Sean Durkin To Remake 'The Exorcist' As 10-Part TV Series
via The Playlist

Vulture reports that "Martha Marcy May Marlene" director Sean Durkin will get his Hollywood feet wet with a ten-part television adaptation of the iconic horror movie classic for Morgan Creek. Producer Roy Lee ("The Grudge," "The Departed," "The Eye" and upcoming "Oldboy") is on board to help steer the ship, in the tale that will explore the events that lead up to the possession before Father Damian Karras (played by Jason Miller in Friedkin's film) is called in.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1816
Re: Sean Durkin
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »
The big question is, will they have song rights, or are they going the Jackie Jormp-Jomp route with it?
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

ElPandaRoyal

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »
+1
I saw MMMM this week and liked it very much. What's so interesting about it is the way he plays with both his character's perception of reality and our perception of the movie. You know it's great filmmaking when someone uses simple edits and framing to make the viewer uncomfortable. "Wait! It's a different scene. Someone's behind her. Is it her sister? Is it one of the cult people?" And such a great ending. I was afraid of watching this earlier because even though I liked the trailers and what I'd read about it, for some reason I thought it was going to be like The Tracey Fragments or something. Artsy fartsy crap with a great performance by a young actress. But it was so much more. And it actually had something to say, even with such an enigmatic character. Mr. Durkin, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention (I know, I'm quoting a damn trailer... too much time frying my brain waiting for video to render  :yabbse-undecided:)
Si

wilder

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »
'Little House on the Prairie' Movie Lands Director
via The Hollywood Reporter

Sean Durkin, the filmmaker behind Martha Marcy May Marlene, is now tackling a different sort of family drama and is in negotiations to direct Sony's adaptation of Little House on the Prairie.

Prairie is best known as the iconic TV series that aired on NBC from 1974 to 1983 and starred Michael Landon as the patriarch of a pioneer family living in the 1880s in the American Midwest.

The show was known for is wholesome values and was loosely based on a series of children's books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, who based it on her childhood. (Melissa Gilbert played Laura Wilder on the show.)

Scott Rudin is producing the feature project, which has a script by Abi Morgan.

David Gordon Green was previously on board to direct.

Sony had no comment.

Durkin's Martha Marcy was a well-reviewed psychological drama that starred Elizabeth Olsen, Sarah Paulson and John Hawkes, and told of a young woman who tries in vain to reintegrate into the family life of her sister after escaping from a cult.

Durkin is repped by UTA.

wilder

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 10:12:13 PM »
Michelle Williams To Star In ‘Martha Marcy May Marlene’ Director Sean Durkin’s Long Developing Janis Joplin Biopic
via The Playlist

Hollywood has long been trying to bring the life story of Janis Joplin to the big screen, with actresses as varied as Pink, Zooey Deschanel, and Renee Zellweger all named as potential players to take on the part of the rock ‘n roll icon. The most interesting movie that never happened would’ve seen Fernando Meirelles direct Amy Adams as the legendary musician, but it too never managed to get in front of the camera. Quite a few years ago, another project was announced, one that would see “Martha Marcy May Marlene” helmer Sean Durkin direct stage star and actress Nina Arianda in a movie about Janis Joplin, with a planned production start of spring 2013. As you might guess, it also never got out of the gate. But the movie is still alive, with a compelling new actress slotted to lead.

Michelle Williams is the latest to want to get wild, entering early negotiations to star in Durkin’s “Joplin.” The movie will be based on the book “Love, Janis” and perhaps mostly importantly, retains the involvement of producer Peter Newman (“The Squid And The Whale,” “Blue In The Face“) who has the rights to the songs by Joplin and her band Big Brother And The Holding Company, the David Dalton biography “Piece Of My Heart,” plus hours of interviews and three of her appearances on “The Dick Cavett Show.”

As we’ve learned in the past, it’s best not to get your hopes up just yet, and this project is still a way off, with Williams shooting “The Greatest Showman On Earth” with Hugh Jackman next.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy