Alcatraz

Started by Sleepless, May 16, 2011, 11:13:30 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Hmm trying to remember... Okay...

If MiB projected Christian's image, and MiB can't leave the island, how does Christian's image appear off-island after Christian's death? I haven't heard a great explanation for this. Most notably, he appears on the freighter, and I think he also appears off-island (way, way off-island) to Jack or another character, although I can't remember that scene right now. Was it in the hospital? Anyway, my theory was that an appearance of Christian is not always necessarily the smoke monster. MiB can take the forms of people who have died on the island (or whose dead bodies have ended up there, in Christian's and Locke's cases), but that doesn't mean dead people are always him. Images of people and things dead, alive, and otherwise have always been appearing on the island. Not only Christian, but Kate's horse, Hurley's imaginary friend who appeared to become real on the island, Walt (alive elsewhere, but still appearing), etc. There are no strict rules for these appearances.

Carton Cuse suggests that "the cork" was made (perhaps by Jacob or his followers) after MiB was thrown in, to dam the flow of light... but this is confusing. I can only guess what this means, except that maybe it was made less dangerous (so no more smoke monsters could be created). I still have no idea why uncorking the light extinguishes it. Jacob does say that the island is basically a cork holding in this energy. Originally, there was no literal cork. The light was a bit brighter and reached farther. It could be that the post-cork state prevents people from abusing the island's powers—either you leave it alone, or it goes away entirely. That's my best guess on the issue.

I would really like to know more about Dharma's real purpose on the island, and especially how it intersects with Jacob's plans. There is a fairly popular theory, supposedly propagated by a former Lost writer or insider, that Jacob brought Dharma to the island to find a way to defeat MiB. Their research into "the heart of the island" might have made some scientific discoveries that would allow this to happen. (That didn't come to fruition, because MiB ended up corrupting parts of Dharma and destroying it with Ben, who he also corrupted.) Of course, Dharma builds various stations, and the Swan station brings Jack to the island, and Jack defeats MiB, so that's a slightly more direct route, but it's unlikely that Jacob planned all those steps. Jacob's relationship with Dharma remains probably the most important unanswered mystery.