At the Movies -- After 35 Years, The Balcony is Closed

Started by Gloria, August 20, 2010, 03:55:02 AM

cine

MacGuffin

Roger Ebert reviving 'At the Movies'
New show hosted by Christy Lemire and Elvis Mitchell
Source: THR

Legendary film critic and Twitter master Roger Ebert announced that he's reviving his classic half-hour review program "At the Movies" on PBS.

Titled "Roger Ebert Presents At the Movies," the show will be hosted by Christy Lemire, film critic of The Associated Press, and Elvis Mitchell of NPR.

Ebert noted that the series, whose long-runnning syndicated version was recently canceled, was returning to its public station birthplace. The new program will launch on WTTW Chicago, just like the original incarnation of "At the Movies" (titled "Opening Soon at a Theater Near You") did in 1975.

"At the Movies" will bring back Ebert's copyrighted "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" rating device, which was removed from the syndicated program after Ebert left the show. The critic lost his ability to speak after a battle with cancer.

"This is the rebirth of a dream," Ebert wrote. "I believe that by returning to its public roots, our new show will win better and more consistent time slots in more markets. American television is swamped by mindless gossip about celebrities, and I'm happy this show will continue to tell viewers honestly if the critics think a new movie is worth seeing."

Ebert will act as co-producer along with his wife, Chaz Ebert. The show will debut in January. Ebert will employ a computer voice to appear on episodes under a segment titled "Roger's Office." He says he will not debate the two co-hosts.

"They'll be awarding the Thumbs, and you can't have three Thumbs."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jerome

Gloria

Wow, Mac's already on this!  I just read about this and came here to update.  This should be fun to watch!

Also, I appreciate the welcome backs and the foiled murder attempts.  ;-)

Pubrick

Quote from: jerome on September 10, 2010, 01:36:19 PM
and here's a demo for the show:  

that demo is fine i guess but there's two or three things i think they need to work on. (follow the links below to see the exact moments i'm talking about)

1. they look hilarious just staring at a blue screen for so long. but that's a minor thing and kind of endearing cos of the low budget nature of the whole thing.

2. it's kinda weird to see Roger Ebert pretend he's actually talking when the computer voice is saying his words and he keeps trying to come up with hand gestures to go with what we're hearing. it's not like the other famous robot voice we're all used to, stephen hawking, where he's just sitting there and the voice feels almost natural cos everything about his person is mechanized. there's nothing wrong with having a robot voice but it is very strange when he's pretending it is being said live. it works much better when we just see him typing and the voice over reads the words..

3. the ending of the show is the most hilarious part.. they are clearly TALKING OVER EACH OTHER. they need to be taught how to fake conversations during the credits, it's just ridiculous to see them BOTH move their mouths and wave their hands at each other at the same time.
under the paving stones.