The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

dude andreas death was better than this.  that is saying a LOT.

Brando

Quote from: Kal on December 02, 2014, 05:55:16 PM
- By far the best moment was the beginning of the episode and Rick chasing, running over and then just killing that dude. Awesome.

The show used to have decent to good opening teasers regularly but seem to have gotten away from it. The finale's was the best one they've had in a while.

After commenting on how well the show has been, the last two episodes have been disappointing. Some of the action has been awkward. In the second to last episode, the entire scene with them capturing the cops was very amateurish. The way the third cop is able to drive in shooting an assault rifle and get away with the others with no one being shot is just stupid. Then moments later the third cop gets into a fist fight with Darryl. What happened to his gun? Also, in the final moments of the episode we can all see what the "good" cop is planning. He just runs away. Why doesn't he take the gun? Why doesn't he take the gun and free the other cops? 

The last scene of the finale is just bad. Why would either group agree to meeting in a narrow hallway? If it went wrong, it'll be a blood bath on both sides. It also doesn't work visually and aesthetically. Especially since Rick just had a meeting on top of a garage that was way more interesting visually. There was absolutely no tension or build up either.

The entire episode was to geared toward the shock of Beth's death. But as it's been pointed out, it wasn't shocking. You could see it coming. I think the scene in the hallway suffered cause they were trying not to tip off Beth's Death.

In the finale, they should have cut all the fill/unnecessary scenes which there was a lot. Use the extra time on the hostage exchange and set it on top of the garage. Then have the hostage exchange full of tension and build it up to Beth's death.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

should have been more like the exchange with the vatos in the nursing home.

Mel

5x09 MAJOR SPOILERS

Quote from: 03 on December 03, 2014, 02:15:15 PM
dude andreas death was better than this.  that is saying a LOT.

Guess Tyreese dying in a bottle episode beats that. What a lousy episode. I'm not sure where I stumbled upon question "Who will sing now, since Beth is gone?", but fuck off. Lori-like comebacks all the way again. I could be done with TWD after this.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

polkablues

I had the opposite reaction. If that episode was an indication of what the show will be capable of from here on out, I'm all in.
My house, my rules, my coffee

spoilers

this episode was absolute garbage and very difficult to watch.

made no sense:
. tyreese's random lack of caution
. tyreese not being able to catch up to a limping boy
. tyreese, a 280 plus pound black guy not being able to strong arm a walker a third his mass
. noah takes like two fucking hours to navigate a neighborhood he GREW UP IN to get to rick, and then somehow ends up trapped under a fucking chair
. the governors presence. like his relationship with tyreese was even a relevant plot detail?
. the fact that a place has been previously overrun with walkers has EVER been a problem to them?
"nope, looks like zombies have been here, that's a definite no. let's go back out to walking in the woods now guys." its kind of a prerequisite for everywhere now isn't it? at least as far as they're concerned.

that beard is getting to ewok level.

Jeremy Blackman

I wasn't sure what the think of this episode, and I think I ended up somewhere in the middle, mostly pleased with it.

Greg Nicotero directed this one. He's known as a makeup & special effects wizard, and I feel like he's trying perhaps a little too hard to establish his credibility as a director. I appreciated the artistry of the direction and loved the cold open, but it drifted into pretentiousness at times later on. Perhaps that was more the fault of the editing, which held on certain shots a bit too long (like the blood on the picture frame).

But the writing was especially weird, so maybe that was the problem. Some of the sentences coming out of the characters' mouths were so fragmentary as to border on actual nonsense. (There was more of that in the first half.) Then they had to include one of the dreaded Walking Dead repeated theme phrases ("this was always going to happen" or something), which I think made me physically cringe the third time it was said.

It's a shame Tyrese had to die, but I suppose they decided they didn't want to go anywhere else with his character. That, and someone at AMC probably alerted them that since they added a black character, they had to take one away. (We got the preacher in exchange for Bob, and now Noah in exchange for Tyrese. Who did T-Dog die for? I don't remember.)

Quote from: 03 on February 09, 2015, 03:27:28 PMtyreese, a 280 plus pound black guy not being able to strong arm a walker a third his mass

Yeah, that one really took me out of the experience. That strained credulity, even in this show.

And I guess when you think about it, they've never really done a great job convincing us why these shambling flesh skeletons can't simply be kicked over. If they were actually strong, they'd be able to run. One-on-one, they are only effective as a slow-moving threat if they have some extraordinary weight to them, which they clearly don't.

They seem to have the gift of forward momentum, but that can easily be used against them, right? Just sidestep a bit, trip them, whatever. They shouldn't have the agility to keep up with very simple moves like that. (Pete should chime in here.)

Quote from: 03 on February 09, 2015, 03:27:28 PMnoah takes like two fucking hours to navigate a neighborhood he GREW UP IN to get to rick

To be fair, I think when we moved to Rick's POV, we shifted back in time a bit.

Quote from: 03 on February 09, 2015, 03:27:28 PMand then somehow ends up trapped under a fucking chair

Well, you got me there.

diggler

For a show where the characters seem to be highly capable, they sure do get snuck up on a lot.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

QuoteTo be fair, I think when we moved to Rick's POV, we shifted back in time a bit.

yeah, that makes sense actually.
it just felt like noah had no urgency in getting to them as quickly as possible, the way it was done.

QuoteWho did T-Dog die for? I don't remember.)
tyreese i guess? or that one black prisoner?

QuoteFor a show where the characters seem to be highly capable, they sure do get snuck up on a lot.

dude, thank you, exactly. beth's death was a perfect example of this, that i think i mentioned previously.
for someone that is heavily experienced in killing things, to just stab someone who's holding a gun with a pair of scissors?! absolutely ridiculous.

now the polar opposite of that, such as carol gradually becoming badass at weapons, that's awesome and makes sense. these people should be getting BETTER at what they do.

polkablues

Beth committed suicide by cop. She knew exactly what she was getting herself into.

uh.  the eh...what?!?!
holy shit please elaborate.

polkablues

She knew what would likely happen as a result of her actions. She had just reached her breaking point and wasn't willing to let Dawn get away with what she had been doing.

Punch

Did anyone else notice the emphasis they put on Glenn and the bat? They're staying pretty close to the source material this season
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

polkablues

Okay, even I can't defend the writing in that episode.

Jeremy Blackman

Actually, for a while I thought it was great. The silent stuff worked so well and I think bodes well for future episodes. But yeah, there were 2 or 3 very problematic moments.

From the AV Club review:

Here is an example of bad writing: Maggie, referring to a zombie: "She could've shot herself." Carol: "Some people can't give up." That's not a bad exchange. Little obvious, but not bad. Then Carol adds, "Like us." As though it were possible for anyone watching the show to not make that connection. The series' themes are so repetitive and one note that's hilariously insulting that the writers believe we still need training wheels to keep up.

Also I guess I accidentally predicted the "push the zombies down the hill" scene:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 13, 2015, 01:50:50 PMThey seem to have the gift of forward momentum, but that can easily be used against them, right? Just sidestep a bit, trip them, whatever. They shouldn't have the agility to keep up with very simple moves like that.