Mad Max 4: Fury Road

Started by MacGuffin, November 02, 2006, 11:36:09 AM

jenkins

Quote from: Drenk on May 16, 2015, 06:58:18 PM
It's more:

How do you know it exists?
I'm born there.

Without any eye-roll.

It's a beautiful story about escaping an oppressive system — a post apocalyptic, insane system — which contains three stories of redemption. It's full of poetic moments while being an insane car chase. There and back again, as Bilbo would say. Of course I'm taking it seriously!

I've seen it twice. I'll go again.

Promise you, look for it if you wanna:

Max: How do you know it exists?
Furiosa: I was born there.
Max: Why did you leave it?
Furiosa: I didn't. (dramatic eye-roll.) I was taken from there.

It's not a dramatic eye-roll so much as a contemplative gaze away.

Yeah "a beautiful story about escaping an oppressive system — a post apocalyptic, insane system — which contains three stories of redemption" is spot on for my interests. Are you kidding? I love Max. I love Boyhood for that matter, and I think there's a bit of accomplishment to the very production of Fury Road also, from the rock'n'roll truck to the bandits swinging from poles to the entire environment with the water control and the wizard of this Oz, and George Miller is from Oz and 70 years old. Oh I love it, the whole bit. It's interesting to see it loved in a passionate way for a list of reasons people are willing to carry! That's the kinda thing that makes a movie last, and all that passion keeps movies running (I also think Mad Max has greatly cinematic grammar, and my favorite part was when the classical music was playing [as it did during the quoted scene] and the camera tracked along the truck's side where a person was traveling), and I'm plain fascinated by the elevation of people's appreciation for this movie. It's a bit nextlevel appreciation, about Mad Max, hell yeah, although Pitch Perfect 2 is currently winning the box office, which I also like for a reason that'd be in a side conversation.

Tictacbk

The strong feminist themes didn't bother you? 

(Note: I ask not because there's anything wrong with strong feminist themes.  In fact they're fucking great, and I love that this movie has them.  I only ask because of jenkin's well documented hatred of themes in general)

jenkins

Quote from: Tictacbk on May 16, 2015, 08:38:02 PM
The strong feminist themes didn't bother you? 

(Note: I ask not because there's anything wrong with strong feminist themes.  In fact they're fucking great, and I love that this movie has them.  I only ask because of jenkin's well documented hatred of themes in general)

Charlize and Tom have such terrific eye movements in the movie. I'm able to believe in the movie because of their eyes, which are completely engaged in their post-apocalyptic setting, and they're maybe my favorite eyes since Dennis in Night Tide in terms of setting the mood.

I think about things like that, that's what I'm saying. I'm not an active feminist a.k.a I don't process my perspective through that principle. The thing I know is this what my John Wayne looks like:

Tictacbk

Fair enough.  It's a movie for everyone!

samsong

is this the most unrelentingly entertaining, kinetic movie since buster keaton's the general?  was also reminded of fritz lang's metropolis for various reasons, not the least of which is its vastly ambitious, thoroughly realized, generous vision.  and if it isn't obvious enough that miller is conjuring the silent giants, the blue tinting for night scenes makes it pretty goddamn undeniable.    i'm convinced he's accomplished something on the level of lang and the like with this film.  i'm gonna go see it again right now, and again tomorrow. 

max from fearless

Making of Mad Max: Fury Road from ACS Victoria with John Seale ACS ASC and David Burr ACS

ACS Victoria presents this wonderful explanation of what went into filming Mad Max: Fury Road. Presented by the film's cinematographer John Seale ACS ASC and 2nd Unit cinematographer David Burr ACS in Melbourne for the Victorian Branch of the ACS. (2 hours)

https://vimeo.com/127381179

samsong

if you're in the LA area, go see this in the cineramadome at the arclight hollywood before it gets replaced.  fourth time seeing it and it felt like the first time around.  the dome offers the most immersive sound experience i know of and this movie becomes that much more glorious when the aural sensations are cranked up to 11 and become as tactile as the imagery.  the only thing is the screen size, maybe the curvature brought out some digital noise in the projection. 

OstrichRidingCowboy

Quote from: samsong on May 15, 2015, 06:21:23 AM
this is the greatest action movie ever made.
It doesn't beat Castle in the Sky, but a tie I'm willing to allow.

(Are there any Second wave feminists and/or descriptive linguists who want to talk about that anti-seed/antecede joke?)
Since dreams are to align, not to change nor
to grow, whatever are the really for?

Lottery

Quote from: OstrichRidingCowboy on May 26, 2015, 07:58:41 PM
Quote from: samsong on May 15, 2015, 06:21:23 AM
this is the greatest action movie ever made.
It doesn't beat Castle in the Sky, but a tie I'm willing to allow.

I think T2 is the apex of the action genre- but I'm so glad you bring up CitS because it is very close to the top. It is a perfect action/adventure film. A very robust work, satisfying in almost every way. Fury Road is also pretty great (but probably not top 5 or anything).

Gold Trumpet

For me, to say Castle in the Sky is better and talk about it in terms of being in the same genre, is to say both films are comparable. I don't see that at all. Mad Max: Fury Road represents the uniqueness of the action genre today. It doesn't have a label but it feels like extravaganza action. The action scenes carry on for extended periods of time and are more about interest in the intricacies of stunt coordination, effects, and what imagination can be spurred when tunnel visioning an idea of how many ways a crash scenario of destruction can be played out and extended in every way. Miyazaki is more of Kurosawa humanist in seeing tumultuous moments for minimalism and representations of someone's struggle to bear through a situation and overcome obstacles. Still, with that being said, his stories are about characters having courage to make right decisions.

Even T2 doesn't feel comparable. I enjoy the movie a lot, but come on, the most memorable part of the movie is that it exists in that early 1990s realm of CGI experimentation where usage was minimal and made to look more realistic before CGI effects became overwhelming and thus cartoonish because it kept replacing more realms of world around the characters. Besides, the original Terminator has a bare bones look and intensity and feel while T2 simply feels more clean and better produced in visual look - no actual advancement in style or experimentation. Just a neater Hollywood look.

Yes, I classify Mad Max alongside films of today. The nice difference for Mad Max is that its narrative is singular and has little interest to be bad dramatic stories just sugar coated by extravagant action effects so people don't feel completely dumbed down by characters and situations below all levels of consideration for anything worth caring about, i.e. a few decisions from full caricature or satirical rendering. Mad Max tries to use the storyline of constant combustion of action and craziness and reflect it against someone who feels lost in a world of voices in his head and uncertainty in his sanity and push it against him and others lost in a world that is essentially a full war zone. The genre is technically science fiction, but the density of plot details is a mass collection of different things from humanity's past in referencing different attitudes in war over time and how humans can get lost in a pride and belief mind fuck when fighting for something they feel is a greater good - however insane it feels to us the viewer, the outsider to it all. None of this even includes all the technical innovation George Miller did in making the film and challenging most establishments of action filmmaking today.

that was a very eloquent way to say what I was thinking which was simply why would you compare an animated film to a non animated film. Like yeah that movie was the best drama since toy story 3

OstrichRidingCowboy

This is some WonderBra-level compartmentalization going on; I hereby rescind any irony contained in my previous post.
Since dreams are to align, not to change nor
to grow, whatever are the really for?

modage

I love animated films but for some reason I would never consider one a pure action film which to me must involve real humans and stunt-people to really have that leaning-forward-in-your-seat suspense.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

If an animated film has a bravado similar to Mad Max and pure interest in extended action scenes, I would be fine with comparing the two. The cinematographer to Mad Max: Fury Road actually credited Miller's previous experiences in directing animation to really helping him handle the CGI and other special effects in post production with this film. The two can be comparable but not in the Miyazaki case. Different aesthetic worlds.

i remember when i saw star wars the first time. i was a little kid and i hadn't seen too many films at that time. i saw eraserhead shortly after. and i remember feeling really weird, you know? like i was looking in on something incredibly special that no one else knew about, because i didnt know any better at the time.

i went into this movie with incredibly high expectations mostly due to all of yalls words.
i had no idea i would feel like that little kid again.

i have never seen a better action/science fiction/dystopian film in my life, and i really love those.
this is one of the most original things i have ever seen. literally everything caught me by suprise.
nothing really else to say that hasnt been. best film of 2015.