Bland Hack's latest sketch - "The Internet Goes to Washington"

Started by Gamblour., August 05, 2009, 04:35:07 AM

Gamblour.

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 25, 2011, 05:49:35 PM
Ha!  I really liked that.

Oh, but that's not a Pimm's cup.

And Morse was dead for 20 years by 1893. There's actually a number of ways to make a Pimm's cup. It's like saying a martini has to be one certain way.

Glad you liked the skit!
WWPTAD?

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gamblour. on April 25, 2011, 05:53:57 PM
There's actually a number of ways to make a Pimm's cup. It's like saying a martini has to be one certain way.

Yes, but he said she made "a mean Pimm's cup" suggesting that it was good.  I saw no cucumber and that was a pretty huge sprig of mint in there.

Gigantic recipe inaccuracies aside.  Super fun sketch.

Speaking of which, you guys should consider applying to Austin Sketchfest next year.  Do you do any live stuff?
ATXSketchfest.com (I'm a producer).

Gamblour.

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 26, 2011, 10:48:10 AM
Quote from: Gamblour. on April 25, 2011, 05:53:57 PM
There's actually a number of ways to make a Pimm's cup. It's like saying a martini has to be one certain way.

Yes, but he said she made "a mean Pimm's cup" suggesting that it was good.  I saw no cucumber and that was a pretty huge sprig of mint in there.

Ha, that's a good point.

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 26, 2011, 10:48:10 AM
Speaking of which, you guys should consider applying to Austin Sketchfest next year.  Do you do any live stuff?
ATXSketchfest.com (I'm a producer).

We don't actually. Do you guys do anything with filmed sketches?
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gamblour. on April 26, 2011, 11:09:13 AM
We don't actually. Do you guys do anything with filmed sketches?
This year we're only doing filmed stuff that's integrated in with the live stuff, but I think next year we're going to have a showcase of just filmed stuff.
I'll let you know once we start the process for that.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Yes it's been a while since I've posted anything. Been super busy. We were tapped to produce a live show for this local art event called FLUX. It's like a one-night art stroll, but way cooler. We wrote and starred in a live show based on Mortal Kombat and created three sketches as well.

Here's the first of the three. The rest will be released over October.

Hope you guys like it. It's super silly.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

These are the other two Mortal Kombat sketches we made:

These are super violent and silly. Hope you guys like them.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

I know it's been forever. Very busy. We made a new sketch, I'm really happy with it.

We should have a couple of awesome ones up in the next month or two.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Started out a little uneven, but when it kicked into gear it was pretty fantastic.  The bit with the music was perfect.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I thought it was great. The acting could have been better, but the writing and the song choices were pretty much genius.

Gamblour.

Awesome, thanks guys! Glad you liked it. Jeremy, just curious, what were your thoughts on the acting?
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

Well, maybe it's just me, but I think some of the lines were delivered a little too quickly. It might have been better to slow things down and milk the awkwardness, a la early Curb Your Enthusiasm. And the girls' anxiety was played up a bit too much. (It really feels like they're acting, if that makes sense.) You can probably communicate that anxiety with something less than exaggerated facial expressions and slapsticky flailing. But I'm really nitpicking now.

Gamblour.

I understand what you mean. There was a conscious effort to keep the sketch moving along, rather than let moments hang in the air. If it wasn't a sketch on the internet, that's probably what I would have done. There's a lot of room to let that tension linger, which would probably have let the performances become more nuanced. But my personal feeling is that most sketches online are waaaay too long in the first place, so I place a priority on economic pacing and storytelling.
WWPTAD?