Bland Hack's latest sketch - "The Internet Goes to Washington"

Started by Gamblour., August 05, 2009, 04:35:07 AM

matt35mm

Quote from: Gamblour. on August 02, 2010, 11:23:43 AM

This is our latest short, and it took for fucking ever. We started in January, and shot over the course of four months and spent three months doing post and special effects. I would love love LOVE to see what you guys think. We worked really hard on this, and I'm pretty happy with it.

That was cool!  I enjoyed that.  I appreciate that it played on my expectations of the other sister's final triumph and went way over the top with it at the end.

You guys should have an official "Groups of English Girls" series, and include this and Texting While Walking.

Gamblour.

Quote from: matt35mm on August 02, 2010, 12:58:09 PM
Quote from: Gamblour. on August 02, 2010, 11:23:43 AM

This is our latest short, and it took for fucking ever. We started in January, and shot over the course of four months and spent three months doing post and special effects. I would love love LOVE to see what you guys think. We worked really hard on this, and I'm pretty happy with it.

That was cool!  I enjoyed that.  I appreciate that it played on my expectations of the other sister's final triumph and went way over the top with it at the end.

You guys should have an official "Groups of English Girls" series, and include this and Texting While Walking.

Thanks man. Haha, you're right, I hadn't realized it but we have been focusing on English women lately.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Reposting for this page:

Btw, for you lurkers and others, I would love to hear from you as well! I haven't been getting a ton of critical feedback from folks on facebook other than 'looks great' so I'd like more cinema-minded folks to watch it.

I even included a special typeface just for all you Xixax folks.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

What could possibly be dumber than Gothic kids, you ask?

Baroque Kids

This is our latest skit, and it's inspired by a news segment about .
WWPTAD?

matt35mm

That was hilarious on its own, and then more so after watching the original piece.  I don't really have much specific feedback to give on it at this point.  It's funny and is structurally exactly what it needs to be to parody the original newscast.  I love watching all your stuff.

Pubrick

like matt i saw the spoof first, didn't realise it would be such a close parody.

it's great, good puns.

man, news reports are really bullshit aren't they.. those corny lines you took directly from the original, that ONLY works in parody, the thing writes itself.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Hahaha what do you meant we can't??

too funny! If it ain't baroque don't fix it oh man good vid.

OrHowILearnedTo

The idea is great but to be honest i thought alot of the jokes fell flat. Alot of them were good in writing, but didn't really work with the actors, especially the principle (sorry if that was you!). The surrealist kids were brilliant though, and I liked the out of focus establishing shots.

RegularKarate

Great job.  Really funny.

The only thing I would say here is that I think the levels of realism in the acting was a little too mixed.  Sometimes it felt like a news parody and other times it felt like a sketch that just had a news bug in the corner.  I think this came through in the writing too (like I like the kids having the dumb Baroque puns, but not the mom).

It was a really good idea though and looked great.

Gamblour.

Thanks for the good feedback guys.

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on October 04, 2010, 11:22:00 PM
but didn't really work with the actors, especially the principle (sorry if that was you!).

I was not the principal, haha, but I was the "Nothing" surrealist kid, also one of the mean kids at the bus stop. What exactly about the principal bugged you?

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 05, 2010, 10:57:43 AM
Great job.  Really funny.

The only thing I would say here is that I think the levels of realism in the acting was a little too mixed.  Sometimes it felt like a news parody and other times it felt like a sketch that just had a news bug in the corner.  I think this came through in the writing too (like I like the kids having the dumb Baroque puns, but not the mom).

It was a really good idea though and looked great.

Yes, I see what you're saying about the acting. We worked with a range of actors, from total non-actors to professionals. And I think I'd direct the nonactors to be themselves more, which made it feel more realistic, like a news piece, while the actors deliver the lines a little too well, making it sketch-y. With the mom's line, though, I tried to make the pun be this mantra she tells herself to justify her kid's stupid behavior in the scheme of things. I can see what you mean, though. The adult universe vs. the kids' universe is sort of the entire joke here, and she treads on it a bit. I'm glad you like the skit, though.
WWPTAD?

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: Gamblour. on October 05, 2010, 01:28:39 PM
Thanks for the good feedback guys.

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on October 04, 2010, 11:22:00 PM
but didn't really work with the actors, especially the principle (sorry if that was you!).

I was not the principal, haha, but I was the "Nothing" surrealist kid, also one of the mean kids at the bus stop. What exactly about the principal bugged you?

I think the whole grownups swearing at kids thing is really hard to pull off, even though it seems really easy. You either have to have him fully commit to being ridiculous about it and really over exaggerate (which often leads to it being louder, which also really bugs people), or is can be the opposite and play it really casually, or tired, disheartened, etc. I thought the principle didn't really know how to play it, and came off as sort of exaggerating, and also sort of tired/giving up. It just didn't work for me. Does that make any sense? I know that wasn't super clear  :yabbse-undecided:

Gamblour.

New skit:

This one might be a bit more divisive. Let me know what you think.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

This one wasn't my favorite.  I think if something else had happened, I would have liked it more.
My personal opinion is if it's just going to rely on people acting sexual toward food (something I've seen a lot), the acting really needs to be a lot better and it needs to get very ridiculous.  I'd say take the most heightened point of ridiculousness (either the food sharing or the gravy pouring) you reached here and pretty-much start with that.

I like the button of the pie at the end, but it still felt obvious.

Sorry to be negative, I still fully support you cranking these out.  God knows I've made a ton of video sketches that felt right while we were writing and shooting, but the love wasn't shared.