The Room

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, July 25, 2009, 11:06:09 PM

Gamblour.

Just saw this last night, our local independent theater screens this every month or so, and I actually rearranged my work schedule so I could finally see it.

In a lot of ways, I'm so glad I didn't see it on DVD first. I'm sitting there, holding four plastic spoons someone gave me, wondering what the fuck it's all about. The film gets start, people are shouting every time Tommy's name appears. Then, the first scene begins, and out of this strange silence, "SPOON!" and, not unlike the scene in 300 when the sun is blocked out by arrows, the screen is almost completely obscured by the shadows of spoons. It was like a force of nature and made me immediately feel the gravity and mania behind this movie. I'll never forget it.

The film itself was both incredible and unbearable. Even with everything going on, every time there was another establishing shot or repeated piece of dialogue, I was honestly glad there was an audience there to make it interesting. That being said, I'm going to screen this for my friends at home so I can catch what I missed. I don't regret seeing it in the theater first, but I'd like to enjoy it at my own pace.

I feel really bad for the lead actress in this. She's not the most attractive girl and a pretty bad actor, and the audience lets her know it every chance they get.

Wasn't there something about Wiseau shooting this film on film and in HD at the same time?
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

James Franco's Production Company Acquires Book About So-Bad-It's-Good Cult Movie 'The Room'
BY THE DEADLINE TEAM

James Franco's Rabbit Bandini Productions has optioned book and life rights to The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the book published last fall by Simon & Schuster from actor Greg Sestero and journalist Tom Bissell. Franco will direct and co-produce the book adaptation with his Rabbit Bandini  partner Vince Jolivette, and Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's Point Grey Productions. Ryan Moody is writing the script.

Sestero and Tommy Wiseau co-wrote and starred in the 2003 feature film The Room, which some have called the worst movie ever made. Wiseau directed, produced and financed the pic, which was self-released only in Southern California before word-of-mouth spread. It has since achieved cult status for its hole-filled plot and poor production values, earning it a place in the midnight show slots usually occupied by pics like Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Among the Room converts is the CAA-repped Franco, who reviewed the book on Vice in December, calling Wiseau "part vampire, part Hollywood dreamer, part gangster, part Ed Wood, and super lonely" and equating the novel to being a combination of Boogie Nights and The Master and praising it for going beyond being just a bunch of anecdotes from the set of a bad movie. Last month, Franco posted on Instagram that the book was his: "A new Franco joint, starring both Francos – produced by seth and evan Wazzup now?!"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 08, 2014, 01:22:33 AM

equating the novel to being a combination of Boogie Nights and The Master

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.