Author Topic: The Tree of Life  (Read 88307 times)

Alexandro

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +470
Re: The Tree of Life
« Reply #600 on: January 23, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
maybe it's because i've seen fantasia a thousand times, but that's always been pretty obvious to me.
that fantasia sequence is the first encounter a lot of children around the world have with a graphic representation of the origin of life on earth, and in all likeness, Malick is one of those children. It would be interesting to know to what extent he is consciously referencing it.

72teeth

• noble creature...
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #601 on: January 23, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
Goddammit Fred,
just when you were annoying the shit outta me, totally posting any video, slightly relevant to anything..
you go and post this fuckin thing...

AND TOTALLY REDEEM* YRSELF!  :bravo:

*'redeem' is pushing it, but this is a step in the right direction

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1337
« Reply #602 on: December 26, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
+3
This is great. I ran across it while rewatching Pedro's Terrence Malick dance video. It's a little Christiany, but so is ToL.

"Hunger is the purest sin"

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #603 on: December 26, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »
I haven't watched this in a quite a while, should catch it again at soon.
I read this interview with Brad Pitt where he was comparing his own beliefs with Malick, ToL has some evidently religious leanings, Malick sees god in nature and science while Brad Pitt can't buy into that.
I'd like to be able to see ToL in two ways, religious vs spiritual (nature and life as a spiritual experience, rather than a distinct relationship with a god). I mean, you'd probably be diverging from the original intent but I think that's just my own belief creeping in.

Alexandro

• Respect: +470
« Reply #604 on: January 04, 2014, 01:15:43 AM »
just rewatched it.
I've never been bothered by the christian optic in this film. And I'm one of those asshole atheists who mocks conservative christians. the film goes beyond that to the heart, to the soul, to the lights illuminating the universe. religion is about that too, I would say, all about that. Malick just knows how to live according to his religion and it shows in his films.

also, jessica chastain's performance brings me to tears.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +494
« Reply #605 on: January 04, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
+1
I've never seen a christian optic in it. Not a particular religion, I mean. The movie is about grief and memory and existence itself. When I watch it, I'm amazed by the fact that things fucking exist. The mother talks about God in the sky because she's christian. And her first voice-over, who opens the movie, with her as a child with her father, made me cry. And this is how I feel it, but the mother is then angry against God. Why did he took her child? Like she said, he was in God's hands all the time. Even when he was alive. I loved the church in the movie too; a child alone who walks on the chairs and a father playing music. O.K, I'll shut up and watch the movie again.
I'm so many people.

Ravi

• Admin
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #606 on: June 13, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
http://www.wordlessmusic.org/the-tree-of-life-11-18-19-2016/

The Tree Of Life
Screening plus Live Film Score with 100 piece-Orchestra and Choir
November 18-19, 2016

Written and directed by Terrence Malick
Wordless Music Orchestra
Conducted by Ryan McAdams
Robert Fleitz, piano
Jennifer Zetlan, soprano
Music by Bach, Couperin, Mozart, Berlioz, Brahms, Smetana, Mussorgsky, Mahler, Holst, Górecki, Tavener, Giya Kancheli, Barry Guy, and Zbigniew Preisner.
BAM Howard Gilman Opera House (30 Lafayette Ave.)

November 18-19, 2016 at 7:30pm

In November, for two nights only, BAM and Wordless Music present the U.S. live premiere of Terrence Malick’s (Badlands, Days of Heaven) THE TREE OF LIFE, with 100 members of the Wordless Music Orchestra and Choir performing to a full screening of Malick’s 2011 masterpiece.

Winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes, this impressionist epic meditates on the whys and hows of the universe, framed within an engaging coming-of-age tale set in 1950s Waco, TX. Featuring brilliant performances by Sean Penn, Brad Pitt, and Jessica Chastain, the film boasts Malick’s signature striking imagery and ambitious themes while incorporating a rich range of powerful and iconic music. Including compositions by Berlioz, Mahler, Brahms, Smetana, Zbigniew Preisner, Giya Kancheli, John Tavener, and Henryk Górecki across its two-plus hour running time, the film is as awe-inspiring musically as it is visually and philosophically.

Tickets go on sale via bam.org/thetreeoflife starting Monday, July 25 for BAM members, and Monday, August 1 to the general public.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy