Xixax Members Living In/Near Los Angeles

Started by SoNowThen, October 08, 2008, 10:18:28 PM

SoNowThen

Hello All,

This properly belongs in "In The Can" but I reckon it'll die off there with no notice, so with apologies I offer it here.

My close friend who lives in LA is preparing to work on a new short film in either Dec or Jan. He wanted me to come down and DP the film (or perhaps digital video) for him, and was prepared to pay my plane ticket from Canada. However, as I thought about it, why pay for me to come when he could spend that money on someone who is a better/more experienced cameraman than myself, and possibly get the use of their gear into the mix. But we don't trust many people and have had bad experiences in the past. Either we hired "pros" who were complete dicks and needed the compensation as the only reason to be there and mocked any technique that did not involve massive complication and equipment as being "amateur", or we got helpers who were keen to start but lacked actual problem-solving skills related to film and lost interest as it became apparent just how much hard work actually goes into a movie.

So basically I want to set up a post to see if there are any Xixax members who have the skills and who want to participate in his shoot for a nominal fee (which is mostly by way of a good-faith gesture; it won't be enough to be an actual wage so anyone who takes it just for the money can't be too serious or talented). He'll have to see some past work (of any kind, student stuff is totally fine) and basically it will be an audition. Then of course those selected can see the script, talk to him, and decide if they want to commit.

This guy is a good guy, loves film, and runs a very fun (but intense) set. We're looking at a 4 day shoot, with some prep time obviously. He watches a lot of stuff but I can't say he is a huge lover of what might be termed "art" film, but more of an action type of guy. For current directors he digs Fincher, Michael Mann, and Assayas. But he wants to work on a small drama between two couples, with a sprinkling of violence in there, but nothing like cars and gunplay or anything of that nature. He'd really prefer to work with someone our age (27 - 30), but a film school student or even a laid back older type would be great, as well. Just some kind of competence and confidence working with lighting and operating a camera is essential, as is an ability to improvise (it's a low budget shoot -- you're not going to have all the bells and whistles you'd like).

So if anyone is even vaguely interested, or knows someone who might be, PM me or post questions here, whatever. In all honesty though, we're really hoping to get someone who WANTS TO BE A DP... not someone who thinks it would be fun to work on a set, or who wants to direct so decides to try something else to get his feet wet. And yeah, if you are like that "pro" we hired once, whose only claim to fame was some shitty American tv shows shot in Vancouver, who refused to do a hand-held follow under natural outside lighting... please ignore this post. If someone started talking about how great Spielberg or Law And Order is on his set he will try to stab them... if you get my meaning, it's just easier to be around like-minded individuals.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Stefen

I'm like 600 miles away, but I'd be down if I was in LA.

If you ever come to my part of town you can sleep over. I got bunk beds.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SoNowThen

At 600 miles, where does that put you?

Would you know any pals close to the region that may fit the bill? I'm very green when it comes to this because I'm up here in Canada and I would go very local in my own case but my friend in LA (I think rightly) believes that he can't 100% trust every person around him who claims to be "into film"...

That's why I said, "well, get someone who you know loves movies, who posts on a film message board like this one" and blah blah.

Stefen

I live in New Mexico. I have no friends here. Certainly none in LA and and I can't even spell Kanada.

If you're ever in town we can share a beer.

Do some internet social networking if none of the cats here step up.  Even put up flyers in Kanada. Movies are something everyone is interested in to some capacity. You might get some dipshits, but it's a start. Call up the dude that directed Boondock Saints. He's probably looking for some people to do shit with since he hasn't been very busy.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

I was in Albuquerque the other day... if I knew you were there I would have looked for you and ran you over with my rental car (full insurance)... I'll try to remember next time  :yabbse-grin:

Jeremy Blackman

Can anyone familiar with LA identify this building? It's at the intersection of Hollywood Blvd & Ivar. Apparently the address is 6353 Hollywood Blvd. Can't find any clear answer on this, for some reason.

polkablues

It is apparently called the Regal Shoes Building, and it's owned by the church of Scientology. The corner of the building has the Sea Org logo on it. https://angrygaypope.com/hollywood_boulevard/index.htm (about halfway down the page)
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Oh perfect, thank you. Makes sense, since the adjacent building is also owned by Scientology.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Seems like most of the Walk of Fame is owned by Scientology at this point. They're going hard buying properties in Los Feliz too. Really happy for them on all their success. Such a great, cool organization.

also this is great if you haven't stumbled across it before:
http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-1-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andrew-daly