Author Topic: Cannes  (Read 12540 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1439
Re: Cannes
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2016, 04:20:50 PM »
+1
New Paul Schrader, Pablo Larrain, Laura Poitras Films Headline Cannes Directors' Fortnight Line-Up
via The Playlist

FEATURE FILMS
Dog Eat Dog, dir: Paul Schrader – Closing Night Film
Divines, dir: Houda Benyamina*
L’Economie Du Couple, dir: Joachim Lafosse
L’Effet Aquatique, dir: Sólveig Anspach
Sweet Dreams, dir: Marco Bellocchio
Fiore, dir: Claudio Giovannesi
Like Crazy, dir: Paolo Virzì
Ma Vie De Courgette, dir: Claude Barras*
Mean Dreams, dir: Nathan Morlando
Mercenaire, dir: Sacha Wolff *
Neruda, dir: Pablo Larraín
Endless Poetry, dir: Alejandro Jodorowsky
Psycho Raman, dir: Anurag Kashyap
Risk, dir: Laura Poitras
Tour De France, dir: Rachid Djaïdani
Two Lovers And A Bear, dir: Kim Nguyen
Les Vies De Thérèse, dir: Sébastien Lifshitz
Wolf And Sheep, dir: Shahrbanoo Sadat*
*Denotes first film, eligible for the Camera d’or

SHORT FILMS
Abigail, dirs: Isabel Penoni, Valentina Homem
Chasse Royale, dirs: Romane Gueret, Lise Akoka
Decorado, dir: Alberto Vazquez
Habat Shel Hakala, dir: Tamar Rudoy
Happy End, dir: Jan Saska
Hitchhiker, dir: Jero Yun
Import, dir: Ena Sendijarevic
Kindil El Bahr, dir: Damien Ounouri
Léthé, dir: Dea Kulumbegashvili
Listening To Beethoven, dir: Garri Bardine
Zvir, dir: Miroslav Sikavica

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1207
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
Main Jury
George Miller, Australian film director (President)
Arnaud Desplechin, French film director
Kirsten Dunst, American actress
Valeria Golino, Italian actress and film director
Mads Mikkelsen, Danish actor
László Nemes, Hungarian film director
Vanessa Paradis, French actress and singer
Katayoon Shahabi, Iranian film producer
Donald Sutherland, Canadian actor

In Competition
Palme d'Or – I, Daniel Blake by Ken Loach
Grand Prix – It's Only the End of the World by Xavier Dolan
Best Director
Cristian Mungiu for Graduation
Olivier Assayas for Personal Shopper
Best Screenplay – Asghar Farhadi for The Salesman
Best Actress – Jaclyn Jose for Ma' Rosa
Best Actor – Shahab Hosseini for The Salesman
Jury Prize – American Honey by Andrea Arnold

Un Certain Regard
Un Certain Regard Award – The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki by Juho Kuosmanen
Un Certain Regard Jury Prize – Harmonium by Kōji Fukada
Un Certain Regard Award for Best Director – Matt Ross for Captain Fantastic
Un Certain Regard Award for Best Screenplay – Delphine Coulin and Muriel Coulin for The Stopover
Un Certain Regard Special Prize - The Red Turtle by Michael Dudok de Wit

Palm Dog Jury
Palm Dog Award – Nellie for Paterson
Grand Jury Prize – Jacques for In Bed with Victoria
Palm Dog Manitarian Award – Ken Loach for showcasing a three-legged dog named Shea in I, Daniel Blake
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1207
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »
suspecting the awards had happened some days ago i googled and, yeah.

here's a trashy af variety article:
http://variety.com/2016/film/in-contention/cannes-winners-underscore-contrast-between-creators-and-critics-1201780883/

Cannes Winners Underscore Contrast Between Creators and Critics

We say it every year — often repeatedly — over the course of Oscar season, as we puzzle over the quirks and oversights of the Academy’s choices: Actors and filmmakers are not critics.

first of all, i hope everyone's mother loves them. second of all, i, me, i say it every moment i have to -- like now -- critics are not actors or filmmakers.

critics are, per their job, cultural arbiters. me, i'm not into arbitration. it's not my scene.

and i don't think the scene needs to be shaped like this. remember in Obama's commencement speech when he called out Bernie for shittalking him, said it like this: That's not how you treat a comrade.

people don't exist without culture, and culture doesn't exist without people. i respect critics from the fundamental perspective of the spirit being enacted, i support them as supporters of cinema, and oh it's undeniable that there've been significant and powerful perspective shifts made within all art fields and grown from within a critical realm, but this^ is sass that doesn't realize it's creating the battle:

this year’s Competition awards, which left the festival’s press contingent largely, sometimes angrily, baffled.

so the people i rely on to share with me the passions of cinema, they can be the ones who create angry atmospheres around movies being made.

“How the hell did the best Cannes Competition lineup in about 15 years yield the worst set of winners?” tweeted Variety‘s newest critic Jessica Kiang

i think that helps your sass, but i don't think it helps cinema.

Even Andrea Arnold’s undisciplined but rapturous “American Honey” got its share of festival boos — and was rewarded with the Jury Prize, the third of Arnold’s career. (If juries didn’t change every year, one might have thought to switch things up a little. But it’s important to note that juries vote with little sense of what has gone before. Again, they aren’t journalists.)

"even" "got its" "boos" "Again, they aren't journalists." this is a public airing of private grievances, and projection upon cinema of one's own framework, as if it is the critics we rely on to save cinema. no, there is more in cinema than what you want from it.

this is rich:

That’s a disappointment not just to fans of the film, but those who were hoping the jury’s choices would reflect what had become the festival’s major talking point: the unusually high presence of female-driven stories in the Competition.

damned if you do, damned if you don't. specifically: i look forward to the awards when women slamdunk the fest, it'll happen, when it does. but this is grabbing around topics outside the movies themselves.

But

general lol

Critics and jurors may come to Cannes from very different places, but it might well be that no one feels justice was entirely done tonight.

Except Xavier Dolan.

i don't see the problem with this method, the one in which the artist does not dwell on the worries being offered to the conversation but, in fact and obviously, searches through art for but the pleasures in this world.

no personal offense to the writer of the article, which is standard yellow journalism, attracts the readers.
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy