Why, God, why?!? - Films That Should Not Get The Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, February 07, 2003, 03:31:47 AM

MacGuffin

Bullitt: Channel 4 indicates Brad Pitt will step into Steve McQueen's footsteps in a remake of classic crime/car chase thriller. Pitt will get to work on the project once "Ocean's 12" wraps.

MacGuffin's comment: There's no way they can better that classic car chase. One of my dad's favorite films, along with "Thomas Crown Affair", and both will now be raped by remakes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffinMacGuffin's comment: There's no way they can better that classic car chase. One of my dad's favorite films, along with "Thomas Crown Affair", and both will now be raped by remakes.

Hehehe, so true...

Mac, I think that's the first time I've heard you shit talk a movie!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenMac, I think that's the first time I've heard you shit talk a movie!

Guess you haven't been following my comments about "Jeepers Creepers" or any Madonna movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back: USA Today reports that the sequel will begin filming Summer 2004 for release in 2005. All the principals will be back.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen:-D

...she was okay in Dick Tracy...

Actually, it's weird how Madonna can seem okay in a movie where she doesn't really have to act... when she has to "act," though, look out. You've never seen so much posing and declaiming (in lieu of any actual acting) in your life!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 Remake

Focus Features will team with Stephane Sperry's Liaisons Films and Why Not Prods. on an updated U.S. version of John Carpenter's cult classic "Assault on Precinct 13," to be distributed domestically by the Universal specialty unit and handled worldwide by its international sales arm.

Inspired by Howard Hawks' "Rio Bravo," the 1976 "Assault" took place in an isolated, nearly abandoned Los Angeles police station, in which officers, staff and prisoners are forced to negotiate a partnership when a vengeful street gang lays siege to the building.

The new version transports the story to the present day, in a police precinct made obsolete by the industrialization of its surroundings. The premise is the same. A bunch of bad guys with serious firepower lay siege to an old police precinct on New Year's Eve, and the heroes inside the precinct (made up of cops and jailbirds) must join forces and stand together in order to survive.

The script is written by James DeMonaco (The Negotiator and the upcoming The Extractors).

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hawke & Fishburne Aboard Assault Remake
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne will star in an updated U.S. version of John Carpenter's cult classic Assault on Precinct 13, to be distributed domestically by Focus Features. The English-language feature is scheduled to begin production on April 5 in Toronto.

Inspired by Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo, the 1976 "Assault" took place in an isolated, nearly abandoned Los Angeles police station, in which officers, staff and prisoners are forced to negotiate a partnership when a vengeful street gang lays siege to the building.

The new film, written by James DeMonaco, is set in the present day in a police precinct building that is about to be shut down. During a snowy New Year's Eve, a mobster (Fishburne) is temporarily incarcerated at Precinct 13, the soon-to-close police station. As the sun sets and a long night begins, a motley crew of policemen and prisoners reluctantly captained by a cop (Hawke) must band together to fight off a rogue gang that wants to free the mobster.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sullivan Throws a Dinner Party at Columbia
Source: Variety

Barbershop 2: Back in Business helmer Kevin Sullivan will direct the Columbia Pictures comedy The Dinner Party, starring Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher

The film is a remake of 1967's Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?. Kutcher plays a man marrying a black woman whose father (Mac) is having difficulty coming to terms with the marriage.

Sullivan is also attached to direct the Will Smith/Ryan Phillippe-produced drama White Boy Shuffle for Intermedia Films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinBarbershop 2: Back in Business helmer Kevin Sullivan will direct the Columbia Pictures comedy The Dinner Party, starring Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher

The film is a remake of 1967's Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?. Kutcher plays a man marrying a black woman whose father (Mac) is having difficulty coming to terms with the marriage.
Wow. I'd go as far as to say that this is one of the most poorly conceived concepts ever.

Ravi

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: MacGuffinBarbershop 2: Back in Business helmer Kevin Sullivan will direct the Columbia Pictures comedy The Dinner Party, starring Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher

Wow. I'd go as far as to say that this is one of the most poorly conceived concepts ever.

If my daughter was marrying Ashton Kutcher, I might have a problem with it too.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Cinephile

Are they really saying, "Let's remake _______ but in reverse!"

I just read the plot for Nia "My Big Fat Greek Overrated Comedy" Vardalos' next movie: two women witness a mob hit and hide out as drag queens.  SOME LIKE IT HOT!!!!! BUT IN REVERSE!!!!!  :evil:   :evil:  :evil:

I don't want to see this either but at least this has the promise of Bernie Mac ripping into Ashton Kutcher at every turn.

SoNowThen

Quote from: hacksparrowI just read the plot for Nia "My Big Fat Greek Overrated Comedy" Vardalos' next movie: two women witness a mob hit and hide out as drag queens.  SOME LIKE IT HOT!!!!! BUT IN REVERSE!!!!!  :evil:   :evil:  :evil: .

The best part of all that is that all my aunties are gonna go see that and try to tell me how great it is. Nia should be proud that she's now made the short list of ignorant things people say when you tell them you wanna make movies:

"Oh, you wanna be a director.... like Spielberg!!"

um, not really, no, I think I'll be making smaller independent films

"Oh, like My Big Fat Greek Wedding!!"

um, well, kinda edgier, more stylized films...

"Oh, now I understand. Like Blair Witch!!!"

*slaps head*

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SoNowThenThe best part of all that is that all my aunties are gonna go see that and try to tell me how great it is. Nia should be proud that she's now made the short list of ignorant things people say when you tell them you wanna make movies:

"Oh, you wanna be a director.... like Spielberg!!"

um, not really, no, I think I'll be making smaller independent films

"Oh, like My Big Fat Greek Wedding!!"

um, well, kinda edgier, more stylized films...

"Oh, now I understand. Like Blair Witch!!!"

*slaps head*

If I had a nickel...

Just know that it's not you, it's them.  But if any of them are rich, it wouldn't hurt to bang out a Big Fat-esque script and say that you need the money to make that but take the cash and make something good instead.  My problem is none of my relatives have any money so I have to give that idea to others.

(And I'll tell my mom to say hi to your aunties when she goes to see the Nia Vardalos movie opening day.  :?  )

MacGuffin

Byrne & Dennehy Join Assault on Precinct 13
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Gabriel Byrne and Brian Dennehy have joined the cast of Assault on Precinct 13, Focus Features' remake of the 1976 John Carpenter film, says The Hollywood Reporter. Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne topline the project, which is being directed by Jean-Francois Richet.

The new version, written by James DeMonaco, is set in the present day in a police precinct building that is about to be shut down. On New Year's Eve, a mobster (Fishburne) is temporarily incarcerated at Precinct 13, the soon-to-close police station. As a rogue gang tries to free him, a cop (Hawke) must command a crew of policemen and prisoners to defend the station.

The film, which starts production on April 4 in Toronto, also stars Maria Bello, John Leguizamo, and Drea de Matteo.

Skeleton FilmWorks