The Brown Bunny

Started by meatwad, May 09, 2003, 07:49:32 PM

dufresne

i just read Ebert's article.  haha!  the worst film in the history of Cannes, and he admittedly hasn't seen every film.

:-D
There are shadows in life, baby.

Ghostboy

It keeps getting worse.

CANNES, France (Reuters) - Outlandish U.S. director
Vincent Gallo is so hurt by the scathing reaction to
his film "The Brown Bunny" that he has vowed to quit.
"I'll never make another movie again. I mean it,"
Gallo told Reuters, after his road movie had a
disastrous reception at the Cannes film festival and
he was booed at a press conference.
"Being booed at was not much fun. It's really not very
nice that people are so nasty. I'm very disappointed,"
he said in the early hours of Friday at the
star-studded amfAR AIDS fundraiser.
Gallo, going through what he says is the worst week in
his life, has also apologized to those who financed
the film.
"It is a disaster of a film and it was a waste of
time. I apologize to the financiers, but it was never
my intention to make a pretentious film, a
self-indulgent film, a useless film, an unengaging
film," he said. Critics guffawed openly at the
screening of "The Brown Bunny," which Gallo wrote,
directed, produced and starred in, and groaned at the
highly graphic oral sex scene at the end.
Many found the long driving scenes, punctuated only by
the hero stopping to pee or brush his teeth,
interminable and monotonous. Most found the symbolism
of a toy rabbit plain daft.
Industry rag Screen International has ranked the film
the worst of the 20 films competing for this year's
Palme d'Or.
"Vincent Gallo's monumental folly has already become a
defining moment in Cannes history. Awestruck future
generations will ask: Were you there the night they
screened The Brown Bunny?" one of the magazine's
critics wrote on Friday. A clearly depressed Gallo
said he had hardly been able to face his friends since
Cannes critics, bored by what they say is a miserable
harvest of films, started laying into his movie.
"If my film is not comprehensible to people then I
have failed in my purpose. I am disappointed that once
again, what I like is unpopular. I can only apologize
to the people who feel they have wasted their time,"
he said.
A few French critics, always more receptive to
intellectual navel-gazers, gave Gallo's film the
thumbs up -- but a dispirited Gallo said that was
"almost like salt in the wound."

SoNowThen

I hope they release this, on dvd at least. I really like Gallo, and even if it's a piece of shit, I still wanna own it. I don't care.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Can't help wondering if Gallo is secretly pleased... he seems very Warholian and/or punk rock in his reactions, here. I'm going from the "salt in the wounds" thing. I actually think that the French-intellectual thumbs-up means that maybe there is something to "get" that most people aren't. I'm still willing to give it a chance.

Also wonder if this means straight-to-video, or what. I wonder if anyone will actually distribute the thing, now.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

will this destroy choles career?

because from what i gather the shot is her sucking his dick

by the way we only saw the gift to see katie holmes tits, the brown bunny will have the same apeal

but i dunno , chloe has not been cute since 96

SoNowThen

Is this true? Katie Holmes topless in a movie? I need to rent this.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManwill this destroy choles career?

because from what i gather the shot is her sucking his dick

by the way we only saw the gift to see katie holmes tits, the brown bunny will have the same apeal

but i dunno , chloe has not been cute since 96

Speak for yourself about both Chloe (she's still cute) and The Gift (I saw it for Cate Blanchett, Giovanni Ribisi, and Sam Raimi, and really liked it).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenIs this true? Katie Holmes topless in a movie? I need to rent this.

Do rent it, but the nudity is actually quite creepy and unlikely to turn you on.

*SPOILER*

You don't see her naked until it's already "too late," if you know what I mean.

SoNowThen

Hmm, I'm just kinda surprised that she'd actually do that. But I stopped renting movies for the actress nudity when I was in high school.

Still, Katie Holmes...

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: SoNowThenIs this true? Katie Holmes topless in a movie? I need to rent this.

Do rent it, but the nudity is actually quite creepy and unlikely to turn you on.

*SPOILER*

WHAT ???????? Are you saying that the only nudity in the film is shots of her dead

and no its not creepy, how about that sceane where she takes off her top

well granted you do find breasts creepy

godardian

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan
Quote from: godardian

*SPOILER*

WHAT ???????? Are you saying that the only nudity in the film is shots of her dead

and no its not creepy, how about that sceane where she takes off her top

well granted you do find breasts creepy

I only remember the corpse scene.

And it's a rather small-minded assumption on your part that I find breasts "creepy," which I most certainly do not.

well you do like the taste of men ass

and that much we can agree on.

and good luck trying to connect my choice of humor to type of movies and books i read .

by the way, if all you remember is the corpse scene does that not say something about you, you said you liked the movie and yet you seem to not to remember the whole thing or key moments

katie holmes, was not just a corpse and yeah she was pretty fucking hot in the movie

like the scene where she is making out with gary cole

SoNowThen

DIGRESSION!!!!

Okay, that was my best Catcher In The Rye impression.

Seriously though, back to Brown Bunny...

Quote from: SoNowThenDIGRESSION!!!!

Okay, that was my best Catcher In The Rye impression.

Seriously though, back to Brown Bunny...

this film sounds like a nightmare

and this may shot down my cool points but in the end of the day i would rather watch " meet the parents" then something like this

godardian

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

by the way, if all you remember is the corpse scene does that not say something about you

Yes. It says that nudity of any sort does not constitute a "key moment" for me, but a character becoming a corpse does.  :roll:

This sequeways nicely (lest I commit another digression...) into my sincere doubt that this supposedly scandalous oral sex in Brown Bunny is really going to be the most memorable bit.