Motion Smoothing

Started by BB, February 06, 2015, 03:42:25 PM

BB

Been at the theatre a lot the past couple weeks and I noticed something: all these movies look like butt. Even masterfully framed and lit movies have a bit of that alien, soap-opera quality. In the  more carefully composed of these films the effect is limited mostly to very bright shots (only a handful of incidences in Selma and Mr. Turner, for example). American Sniper, throughout, looked like the damn Hobbit.

Pretty sure all of the movies I'm talking about were shot digitally, so a question for those who may know: is this a camera issue or a projector issue?

I'm assuming the latter, which really sucks because that means it's probably by design and not something that will one day be resolved. Either way though, is this just the wave of the future? Or do we all agree a bit of motion blur is a beautiful thing and it's just a matter of time before camera/projector companies work out the kinks?

polkablues

I feel like if the digital cinema projectors were using any kind of frame interpolation, there would be directors out rioting in the streets over it. I mean, Eastwood don't give a fuck, but other directors would take issue with it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

N

The Hobbit had some real nasty sampling I thought. In cinemas over here there was several times where I noticed actual screen tearing. Yet that same theater played very clean copy of Wolf of Wall Street not long before that. Which was shot on both digital and Super 35 (according to IMDB). I don't actually have an answer but my hack guess is that it's probably something to do with editing or DCP (lossy compression maybe?) or possibly just sourced from a bad master. I don't actually know shit about this stuff but it's interesting.