Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Started by TenseAndSober, May 11, 2003, 04:00:23 PM

modage

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - final album details revealed
Source: NME

Karen O has told NME.COM the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album will be called 'Show Your Bones'.

Released in the spring, the singer explained the meaning behind the title.

She said: "'Show Your Bones' is what happens when you put your finger in a light socket, we'd like to thank nine-year
old antigenius wonder-kid Drake Barrett for the insight and the life-saver, titles are hard to come by the older you get.

"Maybe there is some of that electric current flowing through the tracks of our album illuminating us from the inside out for you to laugh at and cry to or fry to, or not."

A single, 'Gold Lion', is out on March 20, followed by 'Show Your Bones' a week later (March 27).  March 28th for USA.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I've preordered a commitment to buy tickets for their upcoming tour in my head.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

wow, the new song is so... mediocre.
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopio on February 17, 2006, 12:18:59 AM
wow, the new song is so... mediocre.

When I first heard it, I thought, "When did Tegan & Sara release a new album?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs risk a career no-no
The brash band hits L.A. with a new sound and a little maturity. The question is whether fans can handle that.
Source: Los Angeles Times

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs' sophomore album won't be in stores for nearly a month, yet the sniping of fans is already under way.

"It seems the YYYs have lost the edge — or at least forgot how it started," a poster calling himself "ypunkd" wrote on the trio's Internet bulletin board after hearing the lead single, "Gold Lion." "They are well on their way to sounding just like any other band."

That's to be expected of any group whose debut was as distinctive and successful as the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' 2003 album "Fever to Tell," a furnace blast of darkly sexual post-punk dance rock that went gold, got a Grammy nomination out of the gate and wound up on many critics' Top 10 lists.

Vampy lead singer Karen O, guitarist Nick Zinner and drummer Brian Chase, however, are nothing if not disciples of George Santayana who know that those who fail to learn from the pop music past are doomed to repeat it — and themselves. That's exactly what happened to New York's the Strokes, whose second album was an echo of the first and was critically and commercially drubbed.

"I think we were all disappointed that their second record seemed like such a continuation of their first," Zinner said. "Maybe that's what made it even more clear to us that we didn't want to make a continuation of 'Fever to Tell.' "

So the YYY's "Show Your Bones," due March 28, is what is often referred to politely as "a departure."

Where "Fever" and the group's first two EPs consisted of jagged but concise electrified tone poems, most under three minutes, some "Bones" songs are epic and circuitous, driven by melodies and acoustic guitar. Karen O's vocal maturity, however, may be the most striking change — she sings in place of her trademark orgiastic caterwaul.

"There's been some growing up going on," O said. "It would be pretentious if we did the same thing twice."

That's one criticism the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are unlikely to hear about "Bones" or the group's eight-date mini-tour that kicked off in New York last month and stops tonight and Sunday at the Troubadour in West Hollywood.

"It's going to go good," she insisted from a New York rehearsal studio while battling laryngitis. "I'm hoping it'll all be OK once we hit the stage. The anticipation is killing us."

"We're all pretty terrified," Zinner said.

Hardly the snarling, beer-spitting, sleaze-rock avatars whose captivating single "Maps" — with its lullaby-like chorus, "Wait, they don't love you like I love you" — became an anthem of summer 2003. But to hear the band members explain it, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are no longer that group.

Until now, the preening party jolt the threesome delivered on record came easily. They simply translated the electrified blues stomp of their stage performances to tape.

" 'Fever' is basically a live record," Zinner said. "We knew exactly what it should sound like before we went into the recording. So we could have this bratty confidence."

Not so with "Bones," recorded last year at the home studio of producer Squeak E. Clean (aka Sam Spiegel, brother of O's boyfriend, director Spike Jonze).

"This time, we were a little more insecure," Zinner said. "We knew we didn't want the same sound or musical paradigm. And we all had intense bouts of self-pressure and self-doubt."

Drummer Chase said the pressure sometimes resulted in flare-ups between the bandmates.

"There were times when we were feeling impatient or frustrated or angry and temperamental," he said. "A lot of that could have been rooted in the stress we were feeling, knowing this was going to be a high-profile record.... We needed to go through that."

Spiegel's résumé consists mostly of hip-hop projects and television commercial scores — he and O created original music for an Adidas TV spot directed by Jonze. And that song, "Hello Tomorrow," was downloaded on iTunes more than 11,000 times and hit No. 85 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart.

The band says it recruited Spiegel for his positive attitude and jokey nature. But when asked about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' chemistry, the producer seemed momentarily nonplussed.

"They're some intense people with intense emotions," he said. "All three of them have this intense energy on their own but when they're together, it's super magnified."

Two years ago, while on hiatus from the band, O moved into a two-bedroom apartment in Los Angeles' Silver Lake neighborhood. In self-imposed semiseclusion — she says she had "no social life" although she did cut a solo album tentatively set for release in 2007 — the part Korean, part Polish frontwoman (real last name: Orzolek) says she faced her fears and fundamentally changed her MO.

"I ran dry on the sound of angst," she said. "I wasn't feeling whatever was informing my attitude. And I knew I'd have to go in a different direction that wasn't quite as in your face. Less aggro."

That attitude adjustment extends to her reckless stage persona — which resulted in a painful tumble in Sydney, Australia, where O nearly broke her neck. "I don't think I can run around like a maniac like I did before," the singer said. "The new songs call for a different kind of performance."

With drastic change, however, comes the risk of alienating fans. To hear it from Peter Baron, MTV's vice president of label relations, O's visual impact has been crucial to the band's success so far.

"She's so iconic, this artist cuts through your TV," he said. "We don't have a lot of those kind of video stars. For us, it's all about her."

Even if the bandmates are no longer the cocky upstarts they were in 2003, Chase says their newfound maturity shouldn't be mistaken for lack of spleen.

"Ultimately, Yeah Yeah Yeahs music feels like a celebration even when it is moody," he said. "It's strong and confident even when it's working through darker feelings."

" 'Show Your Bones' feels more introverted and introspective. We don't wallow in self-loathing," he said. "It is never weak."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

killafilm

I'm really really liking the album.

I don't think it's to much of a departure.  I'm a little surprised that Gold Lion is the first single, though again I really like the song.  But hearing it on the radio today... I don't know, I would've figured they would have gone with Phenomena.  The first listen was kind've a letdown(?), but I listened to it on my way to work, and then I HAD to listen to it on the way back.  And so far it's been getting better and better.  Warrior is by far the stand out for me.  Anyone else stumble onto a copy?

godardian

Quote from: killafilm on March 05, 2006, 04:52:21 AM
I'm really really liking the album.

I don't think it's to much of a departure.  I'm a little surprised that Gold Lion is the first single, though again I really like the song.  But hearing it on the radio today... I don't know, I would've figured they would have gone with Phenomena.  The first listen was kind've a letdown(?), but I listened to it on my way to work, and then I HAD to listen to it on the way back.  And so far it's been getting better and better.  Warrior is by far the stand out for me.  Anyone else stumble onto a copy?

I've been listening to the album for a while now.... Not so much on "Warrior" for me. But I LOVE "Way Out," "Honeybear," "Cheated Hearts," ***"TURN INTO"*** (I'm in danger of overplaying this one, it's my favorite on the album), and "Deja Vu," which sounds like Blondie to me--never a bad thing.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

So, "Deja Vu" is one of the very best songs on this album. Except, guess what? It's not on the US version!! It is on the English release. Why would this be? It's a real rip-off, because the song is much better than some of the others that remain.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Yeah Yeah Yeahs Clean Out Their Closet For Sexy New EP
Is Is tracks have a 'sexuality that trumps all of our previous music,' says Karen O.
Source: MTV

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs had two very clear goals in mind when releasing their Is Is EP: Cut down on the sheen and pump up the sexy.

"We had these [old] songs lying around that we loved and [they] seemed to belong together, so we always wanted to put them out as their own release," frontwoman Karen O told MTV News backstage at the Virgin Festival in Baltimore. "And it just felt good to follow the second record with this really raw EP that beckons to our earlier music with a sexuality that sort of trumps all of our previous music. Taking some of the stuff we learned on Show Your Bones, we were able to up the ante. It seemed like we were able to articulate the music in a more mature way, but also let it be as raw as we are."

Culled from a handful of songs the band worked on while touring in support of 2003's Fever to Tell, the new EP strikes a perfect balance between that album's sweat-and-vomit-drenched rock and last year's more-polished Bones, with an added emphasis on heavy-breathing horndoggery.

The first single, "Down Boy," slithers along on a come-hither synth line and O's breathy delivery, "Kiss Kiss" is a chugging fist-pumper, and "Rockers to Swallow" is all slash-'n-trash guitar abuse. It's pretty excellent, especially when you consider that the band had left most of these songs for dead.

"The songs go back three years or so," guitarist Nick Zinner said. "Some of them we only played once or twice live and then put them to sleep. But this time we woke them up and put some new clothes on them — some hot new clothes — and sent them out into the world."

And since it's more backward-looking than forward-leaning, Is Is is already being heralded by many of the YYY's fans as a welcome move away from the shinier territory they mined on Bones, which was received with less-than-stellar sales and some fairly middling reviews.

"There were definitely songs [on Bones] we hoped would hit harder or reach more people, but that's the way it goes," Zinner said. "I think for us it was, musically, a really bold and adventurous and difficult step in every way, and sometimes when you just totally switch things up, it confuses people. But this EP isn't a reaction to that."

"We went through a dark tunnel and came out the other side," O added. "You don't want to complain about being in a rock and roll band, because no one will sympathize with you. But we went through the harder times and came out stronger from it. [The EP] felt like a good thing to throw out there because ... the morale in the band was so strong after getting through the second record, so this was almost like a treat for us."

So while some YYY fans might consider Is Is a step backward (in the best possible way, of course), the band just see it as the next logical step in their ongoing musical journey, a much-needed cleaning out of their closets. And, of course, being the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, you're never quite sure what you're going to find in there.

"We filmed two shows of us playing the EP [at Brooklyn's Glasslands Gallery] in complete darkness," O explained. "It just seemed appropriate for the music, to kind of strip away the self-consciousness of anyone in the club by making it dark. And also, to make it anonymous, we made everyone wear masks.

"We were hoping people would be having sex in the corner of the room," she continued. "And maybe people were, because I couldn't see anything."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I've already memorized and then gotten tired of the new YYY's EP.

The internet sucks.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

So when did YYY become Ladytron? I think a few listens and It's Blitz! will grow on me. It was not the kind of sound I was expecting from them. I do, however, know that Little Shadow is the best song on the album.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i like Heads Will Roll, Soft Shock and Dull Life.  but it's no Show Your Bones.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

I've been listening to the new one for a few days now. I've spent a lot of time with it and I gotta say, it's really really good. I mean really good. I'll be honest, after the disappointment that was Show Your Bones, I was really hoping for Fever To Tell Pt II (even though I kind of got that with the EP, IsIs), but this new record is just so different than anything I could imagine. It really epitomizes the genre and may be the quintessential Futurepop record. Heads will roll and Dragon Queen are both two of the best songs I've heard this year. Runaway is beautiful and Hysteric is sexy.

It sounds so much bigger than it's 10 tracks.

I seriously can't believe how good this year is so far.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on February 25, 2009, 10:43:07 AM
I've been listening to the new one for a few days now. I've spent a lot of time with it and I gotta say, it's really really good. I mean really good. I'll be honest, after the disappointment that was Show Your Bones, I was really hoping for Fever To Tell Pt II (even though I kind of got that with the EP, IsIs), but this new record is just so different than anything I could imagine. It really epitomizes the genre and may be the quintessential Futurepop record. Heads will roll and Dragon Queen are both two of the best songs I've heard this year. Runaway is beautiful and Hysteric is sexy.

It sounds so much bigger than it's 10 tracks.

I seriously can't believe how good this year is so far.

I actually came in here to post almost everything you just said exactly... I only downloaded it yesterday, but feel the same way... it's really great. 

jenkins

who be listenin to karen o's crush songs? people out there doing this, i know it

i haven't liked it yet. what's the song i should head straight to?