'Foreign Language Film and Director Forum' Petition

Started by Gold Trumpet, June 21, 2003, 10:12:38 AM

Ghostboy

Here's another thing. One of the arguments for the forum is that so certain threads won't get buried. But if people are interested in talking about them, they won't get buried period. I've got the site bookmarked to show me all topics posted since my last visit, so I never go looking in the individual forums anyway, unless I want to dig something up or make sure it hasn't already been covered. So I don't think a foreign film section -- while it would be nice -- will increase the discussion of foreign (to Americans, at least) films; it'll mainly serve as an easy reference point.

godardian

I wouldn't object to a foreign films/directors, but it doesn't kill me that there's not one. I think the real solution is for more foreign-film fans to discover this place and not get scared off. That's going to be a lot harder than just starting a new category, but I think it'll also be a lot more effective. Right now, I know of a few foreign film fans that participate. But we're most of just as at home talking about American films and just-entertainment films, whatever our opinions might be. Maybe it would be harmful to the idea of foreign films to have them apart in a special category, instead of just thrown in with the mix as they are now. They do need more support, but I'm not sure changing the venue is going to solve anything if more fans don't show up.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

(kelvin)

Gold Trumpet, you certainly got my vote for your petition. How come I haven't noticed this thread before? Long live world cinema...

Gold Trumpet

Hopefully, these are final thoughts on the subject coming from me. The idea has been thrown out and is known and nothing more can be done to persuade anyone.

I do feel a cause to back up my own petition against critics considering of the validity of a foreign film forum. Well, what is the validity in having a dvd talk when there is already a everything else cinema and people talk about movies usually viewed on a dvd? The reason why is because dvds are a category of their own in the field of movies today and so are foreign films. Foreigns much more so because the ratio of american films made and foreign films made are likely under 1 to 99. I'm guessing the smallest ratio of .00001 you could really find. As a field in film itself, foreign films is by the far the most deserving considering of how much it dominates even when none of us are really aware of the outer limits to what other countries are producing.

Then there is the fact that a foreign film forum will bring up more talk on subjects not really talked about. Sure, a thread about an obscure filmmaker in director's forum may get noticed and get some replies and all, but does it really stand up to the fair chance given with threads in specific director forums? I've been going there and seeing a lot of the same threads that were there last month. The foreign film forum will likely not be the most popular at all. But neither are many of the director threads and in those threads, there are a lot threads that started out small but grew big because of how long they stayed in existence to people who visited that forum and only noticed the most popular threads and realized that they wanted to read everything the board had to offer and so had to deal with these threads. Many threads have been made of the longetivity of them just being in plain site when the forum was just clicked upon to visit. A lot of people ignore things they may not know, as I do, but the longer it stays there, the more they are likely going to have to deal with it and maybe they can find something of interest in it. Interesting discussions can come from this and have.

To support this is just to sign your name. Thats all. No one can give any argument to how this will be bad for anything. Its worth a shot.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

Um... are we still on about this?

When it's shot down by the man himself, it's done been shot down.

and that point about the DVD forum is a poor one because it's just a DVD thread, we don't have a seperate thread for Region 2 and Region 3 DVDs... no, we don't even have one for "Non-Region 1" DVDs.  We discuss all the DVDs there.

It's like a restaurant see... we have a menu and you can get all these great plates and you can substitute this for that and you can add shit ala carte, but when you go bitching to the chef that you want him to create a special meal made from all the stuff that's already available in other meals and name it something different in the menu, you're just being a snob and you'll start noticing that you always get the bad table when you come.

modage

mmm...im hungry now.  what do snobs eat?  i want some.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

how come you guys use that southern thing when you are being authortative?  reading this thread I've learned that it aint happenin', it just ain't happenin' and it's done been shot down
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

Quote from: themodernage02mmm...im hungry now.  what do snobs eat?  i want some.

i believe shite is the speciale du jour

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I reckon you guys cut that out 'for someone gets hurt, y'hear?
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

Quote from: themodernage02sounds delightful, better make that 2.

oui, oui, monsieur. right away

and will ze southern gentleman above take someting? i zoo not understand zis... "cut it out," oui? not on ze menu, monsieur

SoNowThen

Jeez, it's like GT asked for a fucking "I like to eat babies" thread, or something, the way people here are jumping on him. It's one thing to say no, but to jump all over the guy because you think he's a snob? How is wanting to talk about foreign film "snobbery"? The guy loves foreign movies, and would like to see them get more exposure here -- if anything, that's a great film passion, and is admirable. So there's ragging on polls, and on lists, now foreign movies.... that sounds like snobbery to me: Only talk about what I like, fuck you if you wanna talk about anything else... it's not important enough to me.

If Xixax and the rest of the admins say No, then of course, it's their board and we should respect their decision. But there's no need to crucify a guy just because he tried to offer an idea on how to make the board more expansive.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

Quote from: SoNowThenJeez, it's like GT asked for a fucking "I like to eat babies" thread, or something,
...I'd sign my name to that.

Cecil

is this directed at the shit du jour snob restaurant bit?

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.