So I went to Largo last night...

Started by Slick Shoes, May 11, 2004, 04:45:57 PM

Slick Shoes

Jon Brion stepped onstage around 9:30. He covered "Hey Ya" by Outkast with an acoustic guitar. It was a comedy night, so Brion would play intermittently throughout the evening, in between acts. Greg Proops did some comedy, then brought onstage three special guests-- two lesser known comics and John C. Reilly. The idea was to chat up the guests, much the same vein as the Tonight Show.

(I edited this because I am a coward who can not leave things be. The original, I realized, made me sound like a braggart and a jackass. I feel like the modified version lacks flavor, as it is mere straight reportage, but atleast now I will be able to sleep at night.)

Sleuth

you can hear some good acts on the Largo site

www.largo-la.com
I like to hug dogs

Tictacbk

why am i unfamiliar with this "largo?"

Stefen

Quote from: Tictacbkwhy am i unfamiliar with this "largo?"

Cause you are a loser.

Here, this will help you. http://www.hottopic.com/
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Tictacbk

Stefen

Quote from: Tictacbkperhaps you can enlighten me?

I think it's a club in california. Jon Brion plays there (dude who did the score for magnolia and punch drunk love, as well as producing Aimee Mann and Fiona Apple) I've never been. I don't care too really. But it seems like an alright place. They might have a comedy hour also. I hear the beer prices are outrageous.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleuth

It's a popular bar with a stage for underground musicians/comics run by a crazy Irishman
I like to hug dogs

Tictacbk

Thanks,  I am now enlightened.  I appreciate your help.  Although i found the explaination of who Jon Brion is terribly insulting  :-D

Slick Shoes

Beer prices aren't too bad -- $5 for a pint of Guiness -- they aren't too good either.

I think a lot of people like Largo because they have this whole thing about respect for the musician. You shouldn't go if you're just looking to get drunk. But if you want to listen to some quality music in an intimate setting, then...

I forgot to mention John C Reilly talked a little about Hard Eight. Apparently, it used to be called "Sydney."

matt35mm

Quote from: Slick Shoes... Hard Eight. Apparently, it used to be called "Sydney."
AHAHAHAhahaha... ahhh...

Good one.

El Duderino

or as LostEraser would say: LMAO! LOL!
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pubrick

more info

here

and here

and here

and in the fourth answer given by PTA here

and i'm moving this to Real Life Soundtracks, and reitirating the existence of the Search function.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Slick ShoesJohn C. was a mighty presence in the room. He literally just commanded everyone's attention. In the end, he did a duet with Jon Brion.

Feel The Heat?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Quote from: WithnailI would've given both arms to see that.
But then you couldn't...... you know............ during the performance.