Cassavetes

Started by (kelvin), August 16, 2003, 02:56:42 PM

wilder

Quote from: DBeyond on April 17, 2013, 07:26:32 PMWould love to get my hands on Cassavetes on Cassavetes.

I read this maybe five years ago and don't really remember details, I've been meaning to have at it again, but it and Kieslowski on Kieslowski are among the most inspiring film books I've ever read. If you've been hesitant to jump on it I'd certainly recommend it.

DBeyond

Quote from: wilderesque on April 17, 2013, 07:52:03 PM
Quote from: DBeyond on April 17, 2013, 07:26:32 PMWould love to get my hands on Cassavetes on Cassavetes.

I read this maybe five years ago and don't really remember details, I've been meaning to have at it again, but it and Kieslowski on Kieslowski are among the most inspiring film books I've ever read. If you've been hesitant to jump on it I'd certainly recommend it.

I've been searching for it. Here in Portugal is almost obsolete. I read Cronenberg on Cronenberg and Lynch on Lynch and loved it. Maybe I'll buy it from Amazon. I love reading these things. Thanks for the recommendation though :)

Bethie

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.   

Oops.

I watched Minnie and moskowitz recently. Why did no one tell me? I love cassavetes. I look for movies that are "cassavetes like" and yet somehow I'd never seen m & m? Weird.

While watching I hated EVERY male in this movie. The next day I forgave them. I also think everyone in this movie (and possibly every cassavetes movie) should win an Oscar.

I also know he was crazy.
who likes movies anyway

jenkins

m & m is set in los angeles so everyone in los angeles loves the movie. i'm glad it's getting mentioned. and you forgave seymour moskowitz!! if you want to ditch nasa, you can cruise a convertible with cassavetes through the hollywood hills in 1965

interviewer: you like jazz.
cassavetes: yeah, i like all music.
interviewer: good.
cassavetes: makes you feel like living. silence is death. (husky chortle)

Reel

What a cool motherfucker. I think Cassavettes is my new best friend after watching that video.

Kind of ashamed I haven't seen a Cassavettes film besides 'A Woman Under The Influence,' and I don't even remember how that ended so it doesn't count. I liked what I saw though, I dig his realist, (no pun intended) documentary style of shooting and the intense peformances he gets out of his actors. 'The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie' I hear thrown around a lot as one of his best, so I think I'll start there.

jenkins

great movie for a man to watch, and it's also set in los angeles(!). there's a scene where he's trying to pay back money he owes, and he mentions his golden gas credit card. cracks me up, always

wilder

Ben Gazzara says this in a retrospective interview on the DVD, which was recorded a few years before his death. This thing he said lodged in my mind when I first watched the movie and never left:

"Quite frankly I felt really cold about Killing of a Chinese Bookie in the beginning. I felt that it was not 'fun'. I wasn't having any fun. It was...too "professional". And I called Al Ruban (the producer) and said "I'm not having fun here". He said "I don't think anything's the matter." And I said "Well, what am I gonna do? Go to work. See if it'll get better."

And the next day, it was a scene where John was in a limousine, as a director with a handheld camera, and I'm taking the three girls to the gambling joint. I drop off the three girls after the scene at the gambling joint. I drop them off one by one. And after I drop the third one, the last one off, the black girl, the one who was 'my girl', John took the handheld camera away from his eyes and he was crying. He started talking about people who are..."nuisances.". People who...kill the dream. That...the gangsters, in effect, were robbers of people's souls. And he was telling me that Cosmo, this man, this ordinary man, his dream, his art, is his club. His show, those girls, everything. And these "gangsters" epitomize all the people...in anyone's life, who interfere with your dream. Who kill it. And I saw that this picture was not a gangster picture at all. This picture was a about John."

jenkins

awww. always the winning emotions