Homecoming

Started by pete, December 07, 2018, 01:55:51 AM

pete

Synopsis: Heidi Bergman is a caseworker at Homecoming, a facility that helps soldiers transition back to civilian life. She leaves Homecoming to start a new life living with her mother and working as a small-town waitress. Years later, the Department of Defense questions why she left, which makes Heidi realize that there's a whole other story behind the one that she's been telling herself. Oscar winner Julia Roberts stars as Heidi in the first regular TV series role of her career. "Homecoming" is based a podcast of the same name.

Based on a podcast by Eli Horowitz who also created the show. Directed by Sam Esmail.
this show is like if Mr. Robot had a point. It's pretty fucking good so far.

Sidenote - Eli was a writer at McSweeney's I met in San Francisco years and years ago. He's just finished one of those treasure hunting books that was hip in the early 2000s and was working on a ping pong book. We were geeking out about Ping Pong and Chinese food and I guess I just assumed he was doing typical McSweeney shit and just thought his podcast was in the same vein then outta nowhere he comes out with this fucking thriller. You should check it out. It's tight.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

Does it have a good ending? I'll keep going, but 3 episodes in and I'm a little underwhelmed. I generally like Esmail's style (even if he uses overhead shots a little too much), but I feel the concept and script here isn't weird or exciting enough to warrant Esmail's overwrought music choices and direction.

pete

other people can chime in maybe - but I really like the ending and it for sure gave me enough surprises and revelation without stretching the reality they created, and I think Sam Esmail's direction works so much better in this setting than Mr. Robot, especially after the disappointing plot development in that show.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton