Revolver Script

Started by OmegaSlacker, February 26, 2005, 03:19:03 AM

OmegaSlacker

INT. SUBWAY - DAY
The hustle and bustle of the big city that is New York carries on in the subway as large groups of people move in and out of the trains along the paths of their daily commutes.

DANNY (O.C.)
What you want to do is to take the N or the R to Eighth Street, then walk down Broadway. It's about three blocks down.

Standing next to a large subway map is DANNY BILLINGTON and a BUSINESSMAN. Danny, full of confidence, is wildly pointing at locations on the map while the Businessman looks on, trying to keep up.

DANNY (CONT'D)
That's the fastest way. Taking a bus the whole way would take too long. You can catch the N or the R at this next stop.

The Businessman turns and extends his hand to Danny.

BUSINESSMAN
Thank you, sir. I do appreciate the help.

Danny's eyes light up at the extended hand. Gleefully, he fires his hand out and connects with the hand of the Businessman. A childlike happiness comes over Danny's face as they shake.

DANNY
I'm glad I could help.

They break hold of each other's grip and the Businessman turns and walks away, heading down a flight of stairs. Danny's smile slowly fades as the Businessman walks away. Danny looks over the crowd. Quickly, he runs after the Businessman.
Danny approaches alongside the Businessman, who is surprised to see Danny back at his side. Danny appears a little too eager.
DANNY (CONT'D)
Did you know that there are two hundred and thirty five bus routes and twenty five subway trains in New York City alone?  That's four hundred and sixty eight subway stations, and one thousand, eight hundred and seventy-one miles of road covered by buses. Isn't that incredible?

The Businessman smiles weakly at Danny. He looks a little uncomfortable. Danny points at a train.

DANNY (CONT'D)
That's where you're going, right over there.  The N'll take you right to Eighth street. It's only two stops. I'm getting off there myself. I'm taking the N up, I can show you the way.

The Businessman slowly withdrawls.

BUSINESSMAN
You know, I think I can find it from here myself. But I do thank you for the help.

Danny is all smiles.

DANNY
No problem. No problem at all, sir.
The Businessman walks away from Danny as Danny stops walking.

DANNY (CONT'D)
(calling after the Businessman)
I'm just glad I could help!

Picking back up his walk, Danny makes his way to another train. On the way, Danny waves to a transit worker, who acknowledges Danny back. The train pulls into the station.

INT. SUBWAY TRAIN - DAY
The train is filled to about half capacity. Standing near the door is EPIPHANY HARRISON, waiting impatiently for the doors to open. A MAN WITH GLASSES bumps into Epiphany from behind as the train halts. Epiphany turns and shoots the Man a nasty look. He quickly backs off.

INT. SUBWAY - DAY
Danny stands on the platform, happily waiting for the doors of the train to open. Finally, they spring open and a flux of commuters exit the train as another crowd fights to get on. Epiphany rushes off the train and bangs roughly into the shoulder of Danny, who is boarding the train. Danny enters the train as Epiphany, in an overdramatic fashion, spins wildly out of control and slams in to the subway platform with great force. Danny looks down on Epiphany, who looks up at him, extremely unhappy.

EPIPHANY
(British accent)
Ay! Watch where ya goin', ya bloody wanker!

Danny looks down, apologetically.

DANNY
I love that accent. Are you from England?

A pause of silence. They observe one another as Epiphany rises to her feet, then-

EPIPHANY
(American accent)
No, I'm not from England.

Danny's face drops a little in disappointment.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
(British accent)
But I can speak like this if you really

With a loud ding, the subway doors close and Danny and Epiphany are cut off.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
like it.

The train starts to pull away from the station as Epiphany watches the train pull off.

INT. SUBWAY TRAIN - DAY
Danny takes a seat and watches out the window as Epiphany slowly fades as the train pulls out. Danny tries to wrench his neck to watch her for as long as he can, but she has disappeared from his sight.
INT. SUBWAY INTERSECTION - DAY
A train pulls up to a station and comes to a stop. The doors open up and Danny exits from the front of the train. Following a majority of the crowd, Danny walks down a hallway leading to another section of the subway. Danny walks close to the wall. As he approaches the transfer section, he waves to JOE HOPLEY, the attendant who is dressed in full subway worker uniform.

DANNY
Hey Joe!

Joe waves back. A smile crosses his face.

JOE
Hey Danny. How's it going?

DANNY
Good, Joe. Real good. Just doing my transfer.

JOE
Going from the R train to the Six?

Danny smiles and shakes his head.

DANNY
No, no, no. C'mon Joe, you've been with the transit for six years. You should know the R stops connecting to the Six at seven-thirty-four in the evening. I'm grabbing the L west to Fourteenth Street.

Joe smirks and shakes his head a little.

JOE
Well, you have a good day, Danny.

Danny smiles and with a flip of the wrist, he waves good-bye, boarding another train.

INT. SUBWAY TRAIN - NIGHT
The train contains less than ten people as it moves down it's track. A visibly DRUNK MAN sits in one of the seats. His head bobbles up and down as he's having a hard time remaining seated up right, let alone conscious. Sitting behind him is Danny. Danny talks to the man, thinking he's interested in the conversation.

DANNY
I love the transit. So many miles of track, so many miles covered by bus. The possibilities of travelling, getting from one place to another are infinite.

The Drunk Guy raises a pint of Jack Daniel's whiskey into the air and takes a swig from it. He mumbles incoherently.

DANNY (CONT'D)
I guess the one thing that I really love about the subway is that no matter where you have to go, it can get you there. It's like an old friend helping you along the way. And even if you really have nowhere to go, it can give a positive feeling, because you always feel like you're moving forward. It gives you a feeling of peace, even if you just want to see where it'll take you, if you just want to ride it out and see what happens. A lot of people, they have nowhere to go, nothing to look forward to, no real destination. The subway can keep them on the forward path. Even if there's no final destination, it can always keep you moving forward.

Danny smiles thoughtfully and leans back in his seat. The drunk man in front of him loses his battle with consciousness and his heavy head falls backwards, slamming into the back support of the seat. He falls to his side, landing on the chair next to him. The pint of whiskey falls from his hands, crashing into the floor. The bottle breaks and whiskey splashes everywhere.
Suddenly, the drunk springs to life. He sits up and looks around. Glancing downward, he sees his broken whiskey bottle. Drunkenly, he looks down at it, his head wobbly.
A few silent moments pass, then, the drunk man falls back down, laying in the chair next to him.

INT. SUBWAY - DAY
As per usual routine, Danny stands on a platform waiting for his train to pull in to the station. An arguing couple, one WHITE MALE and one WHITE FEMALE stand nearby to Danny, looking at a map and arguing.

MALE
No, we need to take this train to get to Broadway!

FEMALE
I'm telling you, it's this one. Broadway is right here on the map. This train runs right in to it.

Danny takes a step over and looks over their shoulders down at the map.
The male and the female turn around, looking at Danny oddly.

DANNY
Hi. I noticed you're having a little trouble.

They continue to look at him.

DANNY (CONT'D)
If you're going to Broadway, I hate to say it, but you're both wrong.

Danny points off in a direction at a train.

DANNY (CONT'D)
That's where you want to go.

They both look at Danny and smile, a little uncomfortably.

DANNY (CONT'D)
Glad I could help.

Danny walks away and heads over to his train. He boards and stands near the door. He turns to a BUSINESS LADY.

DANNY (CONT'D)
I'm going to stand near the door. My stop is close.

She smiles politely. Danny turns his back to the door. Suddenly, a hand reaches in and yanks Danny off the train. He tries to resist, but ultimately loses. Danny turns around and there is Epiphany, standing next to Danny, a smile on her face.

EPIPHANY
(British accent)
'Allo, yankee!

Danny nervously looks back and forth at Epiphany and the train. Back and forth, back and forth. Suddenly, Danny grabs Epiphany by the arm and drags her on to the train. She just makes it on to the train before the doors close. Her dress almost gets trapped between the doors. Danny looks at her in a panic as the train starts to move.

DANNY
What were you doing?

EPIPHANY
(American accent)
I just wanted to say hi. Don't you remember me from yesterday?

DANNY
I do, and it's nice to see you again, but you almost made me miss my train.

EPIPHANY
You could always catch the next one.

DANNY
No, this is my train. This one, the L. This train is mine. You almost made me miss my train. If I missed this train, my entire route would be off. You almost ruined my route.

EPIPHANY
Well, where are you going?

DANNY
Nowhere, but this is my train. It's on my route. I can't miss my route.

Epiphany spots a pair of empty seats. She grabs Danny by the arm.

EPIPHANY
Let's go sit down.

She drags him by the arm and leads him over to the seats. They sit down.

DANNY
Where exactly are you going?

EPIPHANY
I never have anywhere to go. I just like to ride sometimes.

Danny's eyes widen in surprise/joy.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Don't look at me like that. It makes me kind of nervous.

Danny turns away from her and looks straight ahead. A brief moment passes, then-

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
So, what's your name?

Danny quickly turns and looks back at her again. He's trying hard to control his happiness.

DANNY
Really? My name? You want to know my name?

EPIPHANY
I don't usually ask questions unless I'm interested in the answer.

DANNY
Right. That's probably pretty smart. You seem smart.

EPIPHANY
Your name?

Danny sticks his hand out for her to shake.

DANNY
Danny. I'm Danny.

She shakes his hand.

EPIPHANY
Well, hi Danny, I'm Danny. My name's Epiphany.

Danny looks at her oddly.

DANNY
That's an unusual name. How'd you get that?

EPIPHANY
You like stories? Cuz this is a doozy.

DANNY
I love stories.

EPIPHANY
This one takes place in the seventies.

DANNY
Disco fever.

A short burst of laughter from Epiphany. She quickly composes herself.

EPIPHANY
My mom, she's dating this guy, some real jerk of a guy, I guess. Everyone told her that he was bad news, but she didn't want to listen. I guess you go deaf when you're in love. So this guy, he really treats her bad, but she's in love, so she thinks. My mom, not exactly the most biblical girl in the world is having sex with this guy one time.

Danny noticeably starts to blush.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Right in the back of his car, can you believe that? A Dodge dart with a stain on the seat is all it took to get my mom in the mood. What a class act. I'm so embarrassed. Anyways, this time, they're going to town and I guess this guy was pretty good at what he did cuz he had my mom just about to reach orgasm when suddenly, it hit her.

DANNY
The rearview mirror?

EPIPHANY
A revelation. Just at the time she had her orgasm, she got this notion, this giant moment of clarity. Finally, she realized this guy for the only thing he really was good for.
Danny anticipates; he's hanging on her every word.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
A good lay. That's it, that's all he was. So my mom figured this all out in the throws of passion and as soon as they got dressed, or rather, as soon as she pulled down her dress, she dumps the guy, right there on the spot.

DANNY
Good for her, I say. I say good for her.

EPIPHANY
The story isn't over yet. A little while after the break up, my mom realizes that something's not right with her body. She finally comes to figure out that she's pregnant.

For some reason, this comes as a surprise to Danny.

DANNY
I didn't see that twist coming.

EPIPHANY
Nine months after my mom broke up with this guy, she was in the hospital holding the new little girl she had just brought in to this world.

DANNY
You have a sister?

Epiphany smirks.

EPIPHANY
I'm talking about me, you big goof. My mom had the one thing she always wanted, a daughter. Something good came from something bad. She named me Epiphany, so that she'd always remember that one moment of clarity she had during sex, so that she'd remember not to sacrifice and accept so much bad for one thing good. She always wanted to remember that epiphany. And that's how I got my name.

A guy sitting in front of them chuckles at the story. Epiphany taps him on the head.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
You think that's funny?

The guy quickly shakes his head no and turns around, facing away from Danny and Epiphany. Epiphany turns to Danny and shrugs.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Oh well. I think it's funny. Some people don't have a sense of humor.

DANNY
That's too bad. I wish God gave one of those to everybody. The world might be a better place.

INT. SUBWAY - DAY
A train pulls up to a waiting platform and comes to a halt. The doors open and a rush exits the train. Among the crowd, Danny and Epiphany walk on to the platform. Quickly, Danny turns and starts walking towards an exit. Epiphany stays behind, taking in the sights. Danny realizes that she's not by his side. He stops and turns to her.

DANNY
Come on. There's nothing to see here. This might be the worst stop in the entire system. We have to get moving or we're going to be late.

EPIPHANY
Where are we going exactly?

DANNY
To the next train. We have to hurry or we'll miss it.

EPIPHANY
Where does the next train take us?

DANNY
To my bus.

EPIPHANY
And where do we go from there?

DANNY
We do a quick walk through part of the city and then we get back on to the subway. So come on, before we miss our next train.

Almost against her will, Epiphany starts to follow Danny through the crowd of people.

INT. SUBWAY TRAIN - DAY
Danny and Epiphany sit on a bench in the back of the train, which is full of different types of people of all races and backgrounds. Danny watches a PRETTY LADY about four rows ahead of them as she sorts through a few documents. Epiphany notices Danny's watchful eye.

EPIPHANY
What are you looking at?

Danny points at the lady.

DANNY
That lady a few rows up.

Epiphany spots the lady. A small twinge of jealousy. She watches for a few seconds, then-

EPIPHANY
She's pretty. Don't you think?

DANNY
Very much. You see a lot of pretty people on the train. Do you think they have it easier than, uh -maybe not so pretty people?

EPIPHANY
I think so. The first thing you notice is a person's looks, so someone who's pleasant looking, you probably give a better snap judgement to. You shouldn't stick to that snap judgement, though. Looks alone do not make a nice person.

Danny nods in agreement.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
What are you thinking about her? You interested in her? Do you want me to get her name for you? I can do that. I'm a great wingman.

DANNY
No, no. Nothing like that. I was just wondering where she's going, where's she been. I like to hear people's stories. I think that's what makes the train so fun. Lots of people, lots of possibilities, lots of stories. There's a lot of people in New York, so there's a lot of stories in New York. My mom told me that people like people who listen, because a lot of times, someone just wants someone else to understand where they're coming from. She used to play me a record, "you're nobody, till somebody loves you." I kind of agree with that.

Epiphany nods. Danny looks her over, a wondering gleam in his eye. Epiphany, knowing what is coming next, looks away.

DANNY (CONT'D)
(coyly)
What's your story?

EPIPHANY
You know, I think I prefer being a nobody.

DANNY
(disappointed)
Nobody likes to be a nobody.

Epiphany takes a deep breath.

EPIPHANY
Well, you asked for it.

INT. SUBWAY - DAY
A train pulls up to a platform. People stand on the platform, waiting to board the train. The doors open and people board and exit the train. Among those exiting, Danny and Epiphany walk side by side, off the train and on to the platform. Danny looks a little overwhelmed.

DANNY
Wow. That was a great story. That all really happened to you?

Epiphany smiles. She hesitates, then-

EPIPHANY
No, not really, but it's more exciting than the truth.

Danny looks at her, a little disappointed.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Do we have time for lunch?

Danny shakes his head.

DANNY
Not really. It's a tight schedule and there's not a lot of time for breaks in between transfers.

She grabs him by the arm and pulls him to keep up with her, as she's moving a little faster than he.

EPIPHANY
Then I guess we better hurry so we don't miss the next train.

DANNY
Bus.

EPIPHANY
Even more exciting.

The two of them walk off, away from the train they just exited.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY
At last, sunlight. The sun shines warmly above on a nice spring day. Danny and Epiphany move through the crowd in the park, heading towards the bus. Following a group of people, they board the bus.

INT. BUS - DAY
Danny and Epiphany board the bus. Danny sticks his metrocard in the payment slot. The driver nods. Danny starts to walk towards the back of the bus, leaving Epiphany stranded in the front. After a moment, he remembers he's not alone, as he usually is, and stops to turn around. Heading back up to the front, he reaches in to his pocket and pulls out his some change. He throws it in the bin, covering Epiphany's fare. She smiles at him.

EPIPHANY
Who says chivalry is dead?

They head towards open seats in the back of the bus. As they sit down, the bus shifts in to gear and pulls away.

DISSOLVE TO:
INT. BUS - DAY
The two of them sit in their seats in silence. Danny has the window seat, Epiphany near the aisle. Danny, with a wondering look in his eye, watches the city travel by at fifty miles per hour. The gleam in his eyes as he takes it all in reminds of a child in a strange land, or a tourist living out a lifelong vacation fantasy. Epiphany watches his wonderment for a moment, then-

EPIPHANY
I thought you rode this bus everyday?

DANNY
Except for Sunday. It doesn't run on Sunday.

EPIPHANY
What are you looking at? You look amazed.

DANNY
Nothing really. Just looking.

EPIPHANY
You look fascinated. Did you see something you haven't noticed before?

Danny shakes his head negatively. Epiphany seems a little perplexed.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
You have to be watching something.

DANNY
I'm keeping an eye on the world going by my window.

She looks at him, not confused, not happily, just a look. It's almost impossible to tell what she's thinking at that moment. Not a stone poker face, but not a blank stare.

DANNY (CONT'D)
I like that song. I kind of think of myself as a revolver.

EPIPHANY
I don't really like guns. They make me nervous.

DANNY
Not in that sense. It's like, my route, it runs me all the way around the city, so I can bring it all in, everything in one day. I start where I end and I end where I started. It's a cycle. I'm going around the reality of the city while the reality of the city is going on around me at the same time. It's like I have a one way ticket to what makes New York what it is.

Again, just a look.

EXT. CITY STREET - DAY
A bus pulls over on the side of the road. Danny and Epiphany, amongst the crowd, exit the bus on to the sidewalk.

EXT. ST. PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL - DAY
Danny and Epiphany walk through the courtyard in front St. Pat's. Danny, with a quick pace, moves through the courtyard, giving a quick glance to the Cathedral, admiring it for it's looks, but in a "seen it once, seen it a million times" manner. Epiphany stops and gazes at the Cathedral. Danny, not noticing she has stopped, walks out of view. For a moment, Epiphany stands alone, looking at the Cathedral. Danny, reappearing in to view, grabs Epiphany by the arm and pulls her away from St. Pat's and on to the next route connection.

EXT. CITY STREET - DAY
Danny and Epiphany walk with the pedestrian traffic through the city. They cross a street and once on the other side, they head down a flight of steps, down into the subway.

INT. SUBWAY - DAY
The two of them stand on the platform, waiting for the next train to pull into the station.

DANNY
I'm impressed. We made it early. Usually I'm getting here just as the train is about to deport. Maybe we did have time for lunch. You must be a good luck charm.

Epiphany kind of shakes off the compliment, not acknowledging it, but not ignoring it. She quickly changes the subject.

EPIPHANY
Have you lived in New York your whole life?

DANNY
Born and raised. Although I did visit Chicago once with my dad on business. He was on business a lot when I was a kid. They have some nice trains down there, but I'm a New York guy at heart. I don't see myself ever leaving again.

EPIPHANY
Never?

DANNY
New York's like a pair of your favorite jeans to me. They're beat up, even a little bit ugly, but nothing could fit you better. Nothing fits me better than New York.

EPIPHANY
I was born here, but we moved around for a couple years. Mom and I did Vegas, Dallas, D.C., and the last place we tried before we came back was Detroit. Not much to say for Detroit except there's a lot of cars, a lot of roads. No subways, very few buses.

Danny is in shock. The train arrives and the doors swing open.

DANNY
No subways?

EPIPHANY
Not one. It is the Motor City. They're so proud of their automobiles it'd be a slap in the face of their heritage to build a subway.

Epiphany walks on to the train. Danny stands behind, stunned, trying to comprehend the theory of no subways. Epiphany grabs him by the arm and pulls him on to the train.

INT. SUBWAY TRAIN - AFTERNOON
Danny and Epiphany sit in a row of seats on the train in their usual position; Danny on the window, Epiphany on the aisle. Danny sits in his seat uncomfortably. Finally, he turns to Epiphany.

DANNY
No subways, really?

Epiphany laughs.

EPIPHANY
Your dad was away a lot?

DANNY
He was a salesman, had a lot of different jobs to do in different cities.

EPIPHANY
My dad was away when I was growing up too.

DANNY
He was a salesman?

EPIPHANY
He was a deadbeat. After mom broke up with in the backseat of his Dodge Dart, he split town. I think it was better that way. He had nothing to offer us.

Danny nods sympathetically.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
It was a good thing.
(beat)
Did you have a lot of friends growing up?

DANNY
Friends?

EPIPHANY
You know, kids you played with, got into trouble with. The people you talked to when things happened, the guys who you told about your first kiss.

DANNY
First kiss...no, no friends really. I was home schooled, so it was hard to make friends. Me and mom made due while dad was away. I didn't have a lot of friends, but I did have a cat. I named him after my favorite singer.

EPIPHANY
You named your cat Robert Smith?

DANNY
Who's Robert Smith?

EPIPHANY
The singer from the Cure. They're my favorite.

DANNY
Never heard of 'em. My cat had these really beautiful blue eyes, so I named him Frankie, after the Chairman of the Board. It was a fitting name because he was pretty feisty. He took on all challengers, small or large. Unfortunately, that left him looking more like Sammy than Frank. He had such beautiful blue eyes, but then he died.

EPIPHANY
In a fight?

DANNY
Cancer. He got cancer, but, just like Frank, he lived a good life and he did it his way.

Danny pauses and starts to get a little misty-eyed. He notices Epiphany watching him, almost in an admiring way, and he tries to hide the tears and pull it together. He looks away and wipes his eyes. Epiphany takes his hand in hers. Danny looks at the hands clenched together and a small smile crosses his face. He looks at her, and her back at him. Then the two of them look straight ahead, enjoying the train ride, hand in hand.

DISSOLVE TO:
INT. SUBWAY TRAIN - EVENING
An extremely full train, jammed with commuters on their way home, out of the city, after a long day of work. Danny and Epiphany sit in a row of seats in the middle of the train, jammed in between groups of people. Danny sits on the window, Epiphany on the aisle.
As the train pulls up to a stop, from Epiphany's pocket falls a small necklace with a tiny locket attached as a charm. The ends of the necklace aren't clipped together, but tied in a knot.
People begin to exit the train as Epiphany reaches down for her chain. A foot kicks it across the train to the other side. Epiphany immediately jumps up to chase after it. Danny, watching out the window is oblivious as to what's happening.
Epiphany frantically charges to the other side of the train to reclaim her chain. She gets close to grabbing it, but another foot kicks it, this time out of the train, on to the platform.
In his seat, Danny looks up and sees Epiphany rushing out of the train. Danny jumps up and runs to the door. The door closes, trapping him inside. He looks through the doorway at-

CUT TO:
INT. SUBWAY - EVENING
Epiphany, picking up her chain. She grabs it and then realizes she's off the train. She turns to the train, facing the doorway and sees Danny looking at her through the door. The train slowly starts to pull away, moving farther and farther down the tunnel until it completely disappears and leaves nothing but darkness.

EXT. GRAND CENTRAL - NIGHT
One of the front doors to Grand Central opens up and from inside, Danny exits from the station and walks into nighttime New York City.

DISSOLVE TO:
INT. GRAND CENTRAL - DAY
Danny walks up the front steps of Grand Central and up to the front doors. He pulls a door open and enters Grand Central, ready to begin his route for the day.

INT. SUBWAY TRAIN - DAY
Danny sits on the train, looking out the window. He doesn't look as enthralled with the ride or what is going on around him as he normally does while riding the rail.

INT. SUBWAY INTERSECTION - DAY
Danny walks through a hallway that connects trains via transfer. The bounce that is normally obvious in Danny's step is now visibly missing. He goes through the motions as he walks through. Once again, he spots Joe Hopley. A small, almost cold wave.

DANNY
Hey Joe.

Joe waves back.

JOE
Hey Danny.

With no further conversation, Danny walks by Joe, continuing on to his next train.

INT. SUBWAY - DAY
The doors open and Danny enters a train that is waiting at the platform for passengers to board.

DISSOLVE TO:
INT. SUBWAY - DAY
The doors open and Danny exits a train that has just pulled up to the platform. Danny exits the train and walks away.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY
Danny walks with a crowd of people. Moving through the park, he approaches a bus. With his head down, he starts to dig into his pocket to find his metrocard. Head still down, he stops near the entrance of the bus. Still digging, he's having trouble finding his metrocard. Finally, he finds it.

FEMALE VOICE (O.C.)
(British accent)
Will this bus take me by St. Patrick's Cathedral?

DANNY
(as he turns around)
Slightly. You might have to walk a few blocks, but the walk really isn't

He's finally turned all the way around and sees Epiphany, leaning against the bus, holding a brown lunch bag.

DANNY (CONT'D)
(trailing off)
that bad.

She holds up the brown lunch bag.

EPIPHANY
I figured you might be a little hungry, since you don't have much time to eat in between transfers.

Danny smiles.

DANNY
I didn't think I was going to see you again.

EPIPHANY
We're just lucky you showed me all the stops of your route and that I was born with a good memory.

DANNY
Let's board the bus and see what you've got inside that bag.

Danny goes to take his first step up on to the bus. Epiphany grabs his arm, lightly restraining him from boarding. Danny lunges forward again, but her hand grabs slightly tighter, holding him back again.

DANNY (CONT'D)
What are you doing?

EPIPHANY
Maybe we could do something else. It's a beautiful day.

DANNY
This is my bus, though.

EPIPHANY
There will be more buses.

DANNY
But this is...

EPIPHANY
Your bus, I know.

Danny looks at her, confused.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Sometimes you have to let it go on without you.

Danny looks at Epiphany, then at the bus. Back to her, back to the bus.
He's extremely conflicted.

DANNY
But I have to...this is my bus. I can't...

Danny goes to board the bus. Epiphany, still holding on to his arm, pulls him strongly into her and she leans in, kissing him full on the lips. Danny is shocked at first, unsure of how to react. Finally he gives in and kisses back. A soft kiss, but passionate. The kiss lasts several moments as everything goes silent.
The kiss finally ends and the two break their embrace. Danny, wide-eyed, looks at Epiphany. Epiphany looks over at something, then back at Danny. A smile slowly crosses her lips.

EPIPHANY
You're going to miss your bus.

Danny looks over at the bus, then back at her, then-

DANNY
Maybe I'll just catch the next one.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY
Danny and Epiphany sit on a bench in the park. Epiphany unfolds the paper bag and opens it up. She starts to remove the contents, which are a sandwich cut in half, a banana, and a drink.

EPIPHANY
Sorry I could only get one of everything. It's all they give out.

Danny looks at her oddly for a second then shakes it off.

DANNY
We can share it.

EPIPHANY
You can have the sandwich if you're really hungry.

DANNY
I like bananas, so how about we just split?

Danny chuckles to himself. Epiphany doesn't get it.

DANNY (CONT'D)
Banana, split. That's funny.

Epiphany smiles at Danny's horribly corny joke. She picks up the banana and starts to peel it.

EPIPHANY
How long have you been riding the subway?

DANNY
As long as I can remember, really. Dad worked a lot, but never made a lot of money, so we never had a car. Mom did a lot of work, I'm not sure what she did really, but she did odd jobs for a lot of people and I'd always go with her on her trips, since she never wanted me to stay home. We'd start at Grand Central, get on a train, she'd drop something off, we'd get on another train, then connect to another where she'd drop something off, then we'd get on the bus and go to St. Pat's for that afternoon mass. Mom was real religious.

EPIPHANY
I like the subway better in the winter. It's a lot warmer in there than outside. It's a cheap way to stay out of the cold once the snow hits.

Epiphany takes a sip from the drink and looks around the park. Taking everything in, a look of recollection crosses her face.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
It's funny to think, almost all the major events in my life have taken place in this park. This park is my life.

DANNY
I showed you my route. Show me yours.

Epiphany thinks it over. After a moment, she jumps from the bench and grabs Danny by the arm. They walk away from the bench.

DISSOLVE TO:
EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY
Danny and Epiphany walk through the park, seeing the sites. Epiphany
smiles while looking over some of the landmarks, enjoying memories of her past. Danny walks next to her, again wide-eyed, again looking like a tourist. She notices.

EPIPHANY
You always look amazed, like you're seeing things for the first time.

DANNY
(withdrawn)
Well.

He kind of shrugs.

EPIPHANY
You've never been in Central Park?

DANNY
Kind of, but not really.

EPIPHANY
You've lived in New York your entire life, and you've never been to Central Park? That's amazing.

DANNY
I had a bus that kind of ran through, but the route got cancelled, so I had to change my routine to stay in line with my trains. That's why there's not much time for lunch.
Danny and Epiphany approach a pond. Epiphany makes a slightly sour face.

EPIPHANY
This isn't my favorite part of the park.

DANNY
What happened?

EPIPHANY
Bad memory. I had my first breakup here.

DANNY
We can go somewhere else if you want.

EPIPHANY
It was a while ago. John Glossen. We were fourteen. I thought it was love, thought it would last forever. Funny how that works. Only lasted two weeks.

DANNY
What happened?

EPIPHANY
There was another girl, Sally Bluesfield. John really liked her, all the boys did. She was faster to develop, I guess is how to put it, than the rest of the girls, so she got all the boys.

DANNY
Would it help if I apologized for all of us?

She laughs slightly.

EPIPHANY
It's not a big deal. I've gotten over it. If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger right?

DANNY
I have heard that before.

EPIPHANY
You just keep going and moving forward. I can't stop to look back and second guess.
(sing-songy)
Someday, I don't know when, we're gonna get to that place where we really want to go, and we'll walk in the sun. But till then, tramps like us, baby we were born to run.

Epiphany walks over closer to the water. She reaches in to her pocket and pulls out a baggie. Unrolling the baggie, she pulls out a small piece of the sandwich the two of them were eating earlier. She flashes it to Danny.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Sorry I was holding out a little bit, but I knew we were coming here.
Danny walks up next to her as she starts ripping pieces of the bread off and tossing them softly in the general direction of the ducks who are in and around the pond.

DANNY
I didn't know we had ducks here like this in the city.

EPIPHANY
Actually, this is my favorite part of the park, besides the breakup memory.

DANNY
Have they always been here?

EPIPHANY
For as long as I can remember. I used to come here with my mom back when I was younger to feed the ducks all the time. When I was six, I was so afraid of them, I always thought they would bite me. Then I turned seven.

DANNY
What happened when you turned seven?

EPIPHANY
One of them bit me.
(beat)
But I realized he didn't do it out of fear, or to try to hurt me. I had food and he wanted or needed the food. It was after he bit me I realized that sometimes, if someone hurts you, it might not be because they want to or they mean to, it just happens that way in the course of the way things happen. I never let pain stay long when someone hurts me because I learned that lesson. Maybe I had something they needed and that was all they needed from me. Maybe that's not the nicest thing in the world, but it's all right because that's how things are. It's like the world is this big oyster and sometimes you get this one grain of sand that causes an irritation, but in the end, the sand forms a pearl. It's up to the person to find their pearl.

Danny watches out over the water. He looks to be in extremely deep thought. Epiphany stops feeding the ducks and watches him for a moment, then-

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
What are you thinking?

Danny keeps his eyes locked on the water for a brief moment. Epiphany is intrigued by what he might be thinking.

DANNY
What happens to the ducks when the pond freezes over?

DISSOLVE TO:
EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY
Danny and Epiphany walk by the side of the pond. Both of them look out over the water.

EPIPHANY
The best time to come here is when it's raining.

DANNY
It's not a good idea to be out in the rain. You get the cough due to cold.

EPIPHANY
Not if it's warm. You come in the summertime, when a cool rainfall comes down over the park, it's the most beautiful place in the world. The ducks come out, this big rainbow forms over the pond and there's really no one around, so I have the area all to myself. I'm a little selfish in that way. It's a beautiful place at a beautiful time. The world is only ugly because of all the beauty that we miss.
(beat)
The pond in the rain just fills me up with hope. It always reminds me of my favorite song.

DANNY
What's your favorite song?

EPIPHANY
(singing)
Somewhere over the rainbow,
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

A smile crosses Danny's face as she finishes the song. Epiphany picks up the pace of her walk.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Oh! Come on! I want to show you another place.

She grabs Danny by the hand and pulls him behind her.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY
Epiphany walks a half step ahead of Danny, holding his hand and pulling him behind her. They walk across a field of grass and Epiphany then leads him to a bench. She sits down. Danny stands and looks around. She pats the spot on the bench next to her. Danny takes a seat. He looks around a little bit.

EPIPHANY
We're here.

DANNY
We are?

EPIPHANY
This is what I wanted to show you.

DANNY
Why?

Danny takes another look around.

DANNY (CONT'D)
Wait a minute. I know this area. This is where my bus came through.

EPIPHANY
This is where I used to sleep.

Danny's eyes widen as he's taken back by that information. He looks at Epiphany oddly.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
I wanted to show you this, because I don't want to keep a secret from you. When I was sixteen, mom and I were homeless, we lived in the park. After she died, I got picked up by child services. I'm set up now, there's nothing to worry about and I don't think I have anything to be ashamed of, but I wanted you to know.

Danny's still a little withdrawn.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Are you all right?

Danny takes a second before he responds, then-

DANNY
How'd it happen?

EPIPHANY
Mom lost her job, we couldn't pay the bills. It's pretty simple, actually.

DANNY
But you're all right now? You have a place to stay now?

EPIPHANY
I'm good now.

She takes his hand into hers.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
I'm really good now.

Danny smiles at her.

DANNY
There's no other big secrets you have to tell me?

EPIPHANY
(playfully)
Maybe one or two. C'mon, let's go.

She stands up from her seat on the bench, still holding his hand. Playfully, she pulls his hand, forcing him out of the bench.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
There's one more thing I want to show you.

Still hand in hand, they walk away from the bench.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY
Danny and Epiphany walk, seeming to stand out amongst the crowd. They walk, holding hands. Epiphany smiles at Danny and points over to a statue.

EPIPHANY
That place right there, that's where I got my first kiss. I remember it pretty good. I was nine years old. Billy was a kid who lived in my neighborhood, we were all right friends. We snuck away from a class picnic here in the park. Somehow he had money and offered to buy me an ice cream. He bribed me for a kiss.

DANNY
I think you made out.

EPIPHANY
No, it was just a kiss. What kind of girl do you take me for?

Danny laughs.

DANNY
I meant in the deal. Ice cream is the best.

They share a smile. They continue walking cheerfully through the park. Epiphany hesitates as they near a group of bushes. She almost stops walking completely. Danny, a step ahead of her, stops and turns around. He takes a concerned eye.

DANNY
Are you all right?

She hesitates again.

EPIPHANY
I just, it's just I get a little uncomfortable around this area. I don't like this part of the park.

Danny's unsure of what his next move should be.

DANNY
What's...why not? What's wrong?

Epiphany bites her bottom lip. She hesitates yet again. She points to the group of bushes and then,-

EPIPHANY
That's where my mom got attacked.
(beat)
And infected.

Danny looks at her oddly. He's thrown off by this.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
My mom gave me two things when I was born.

Epiphany reaches in to her pocket and pulls out the necklace that she dropped earlier on the subway train.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
This necklace was the one thing she wanted me to have.

Danny looks at her, confused.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
My mom died of AIDS. She passed it on to me when I was born.

Danny's eyes widen. Caught off guard, he's not sure what he should do next. An awkward silence passes before Epiphany lets go of Danny's hand. Epiphany takes his silence as a form of non-acceptance and turns to walk away. A few steps and she starts to run. Danny stands still and processes what has just been said.
After a moment, he shakes away the surprise and starts after her. He runs.

DANNY
Epiphany!

A few more strides.

DANNY (CONT'D)
Epiphany!

Danny makes up the ground and approaches her. With her head down, she stands in shame, not wanting to look Danny in the eyes. Danny stands next to her, sympathetic.

DANNY
Hey.

She doesn't respond. Danny softly takes his hand and pushes her chin, gently forcing her head up, making her engage in eye contact with him. A tear glides slowly down her cheek. Danny, with his thumb, softly wipes it away.
He smiles at her and slowly, with his hand, he grabs her hand and takes it into his. He smiles again. He nods his head in a "let's go" manner. Slowly but surely, they walk away, deeper in to the park.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DUSK
Nearing night time, as the sun is just starting to tuck beneath the horizon, Danny and Epiphany sit on a park bench. They still hold hands. Epiphany, with her head down, looking into her lap, finally looks up and looks Danny in the eyes. They just look for a few seconds, then-

EPIPHANY
Do you, maybe, want to talk about it?

Danny looks at her for a moment.

DANNY
Talk about what?

EPIPHANY
I want you to feel totally comfortable around me.

DANNY
I feel fine.

EPIPHANY
Is there anything you want to ask me?

They both stop. A brief moment of silence.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
Don't be shy about it. I'm not shy, I'm not embarrassed and I'm not ashamed. It's something that I was born with and it's something I can't do anything about. But it is something I can talk about. I just don't want you to think that this is who I am. My condition doesn't define me. This isn't who I am, it's a small part of what I deal with. I don't want you to be afraid, I don't want you to be scared off.
Danny pauses and thinks it over briefly.

DANNY
Well, there is one thing.

EPIPHANY
Anything.

He pauses again. His question has him nervous.

DANNY
Seriously, what happens to the ducks when the pond freezes over?

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - NIGHT
Danny and Epiphany walk hand in hand through the park. As they walk, they're in mid-conversation.

EPIPHANY
You know, that's really not too bad. I think I've got that story beat.
(beat)
Yeah, I do have that beat. My best friend all through elementary school, I find out last year that she's a lesbian. I mean, I probably should've known when she hit on me in third grade, but I thought she was just being friendly. It was the first day and nobody had anybody else. I figured she wanted a playmate, not a play thing.

DANNY
Did she use a line?

EPIPHANY
That's not even as bad as the fifth grade when we were at the movie theater and she put her hand up my dress. I was a little shocked, but she said her hand was cold and she needed some warmth.

DANNY
She didn't have any pockets?

EPIPHANY
She said she liked mine better.
(beat)
Looking back, it was a bad idea to let her keep her hand up there as long as I did. But, live and let live, we're all God's children.

DANNY
Who doesn't have pockets?

EPIPHANY
You got me. I guess she got me, too. It was a give and take friendship. I gave her friendship and she took advantage of the situation.
Danny looks a little embarrassed by the more mature dialogue brought into the conversation.

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
How about you?

DANNY
Me?

EPIPHANY
Any wild stories from your childhood?

DANNY
It was always pretty calm around my house. Mom kept a tight lid on things. She didn't like for me to get into shenanigans, as she called it. That's why I could never play with the kid downstairs. Mom said it wasn't because he was black, it was because he was bad news and I had more potential than that. I'm not saying mom was wrong, but I saw that kid the other day and he had a real nice car, and a big fur coat. He had some very pretty ladies in the car with him, but I don't think they were dressed to go to church.

EPIPHANY
If you were never allowed to do anything, what did you do? Kids have to have fun sometimes.

DANNY
I didn't say I didn't have fun. I just had fun in other ways. Me and mom, we used to sing and dance a lot. I liked that.

Epiphany stops walking. She jumps in front of Danny.

EPIPHANY
I want to sing and dance!

Danny looks around.

DANNY
Right here?

EPIPHANY
Why not?

DANNY
I don't really do that anymore.

EPIPHANY
I bet you're still great, though.

DANNY
There's no music.

EPIPHANY
We can make our own. You said you dance and sing. You're like a little one man show. Let's see what you can do.

DANNY
I'm really only good when the radio is playing loud enough so you can't hear me.

EPIPHANY
Well, I'm not taking no for an answer and I'm not leaving from this spot until we dance.

DANNY
Just a dance?

EPIPHANY
And you sing me a song.

DANNY
I knew I should've quit while I was ahead.

EPIPHANY
So, what's it going to be? A song, or we stand here all night?

Epiphany sizes Danny up and then grabs him in a manner that sets them up for a slow dance. Danny is a little hesitant, not exactly sure where to put his hands, not wanting to put them in an inappropriate place.
Once Danny has his hands in a safe place, the two of them begin swaying to a phantom rhythm. The dancing is a little off pace and awkward.
After a moment, Epiphany begins humming a little tune for the two of them to keep their time to. Quickly they get in rhythm and the dancing isn't so bad. It's kind of good, actually.

DANNY
You're really good.

EPIPHANY
You're not so bad yourself.

More moving and back forth for a few steps, then-

EPIPHANY (CONT'D)
I believe I was promised a song.

Danny smiles and hesitates. His dancing is thrown a little off rhythm as he starts to think of which song he wants to sing. His rhythm picks back up on track as he's decided.

DANNY
(singing)
Fly me to the moon. Let me play among the stars. Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars.

Danny and Epiphany continue their dancing as the moon, full in the night sky above, beams down upon them in the city night.

INT. SUBWAY - NIGHT
Danny and Epiphany stand on the subway platform, a train in front of them. They hold hands. Epiphany is slightly upset.

EPIPHANY
I just don't see why we have to say goodnight yet. The night is young.

DANNY
I'd love to, but I have an early train to catch. I can't stay out till the wee hours of the morning when I have things to do the next day. I'm kind of a grouch when I don't get sleep.

EPIPHANY
Well, let the record show that I'm not happy about this.

DANNY
I know you're not happy, but it's ok. I'll see you tomorrow. I have to go before my train leaves with out me. I'll see you tomorrow at the second stop on the route. The N train, remember?

Epiphany smiles and nods at him. She quickly leans up and gives him a kiss on the cheek. He smiles at her and boards his train. He stands in the doorway waving goodbye to her until the door shuts, cutting the two of them off.

EPIPHANY
Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow.

The train pulls away from the station, leaving Epiphany standing on the platform, watching it disappear down the tunnel.

INT. SUBWAY TRAIN - NIGHT
Danny takes a seat right next to the window, near the door. He watches out the window as Epiphany slowly fades away form his view. He turns his head to watch her for as long as he can, but quickly, she's out of his view. Giving up, he turns back around and sits down in his seat. The Drunk Guy from a few days prior plops down beside him.

DRUNK MAN
Have you seen my bottle of whiskey?

Danny shrugs and turns his attention back towards the view that is whipping by outside the window of the train.

INT. SUBWAY - DAY
Danny, with a noticeable jump in his step, walks down a flight of stairs, heading down towards the platforms in the boarding area. He passes a few people and merrily makes his way. He finally reaches where he's going and stops, waiting patiently for his train. Behind him in the background is a large map of the entire transit system.
As Danny stands there, a YOUNG FEMALE approaches him.

FEMALE
Excuse me.

Danny turns his attention to her.

FEMALE (CONT'D)
Where's the N train?

DANNY
If they're on schedule, and they usually are, it should be coming in any minute now.

She smiles and nods as she takes a few steps away from Danny. A moment passes and then, the Businessman from a few days earlier walks by, this time with a SECOND BUSINESSMAN. They stop and stand nearby Danny.

BUSINESSMAN
I tell you, I love the city. There's a lot of things here than can be taken advantage of, but I don't know if I like the type of things that go on here.

The Second Businessman gives him a curious look. The Businessman holds up a newspaper.

BUSINESSMAN (CONT'D)
Just look at this story. Right in front of the building we're thinking of acquiring, they found a dead body. Some young girl, dead on the street. I think the autopsy said she had AIDS.

He checks the paper for facts.

BUSINESSMAN (CONT'D)
Yes, AIDS. They gave her name as Epiphany. What kind of hippy parents would name their child that?

ANGLE ON
Danny, listening in on the Businessmen's conversation. His entire body is dropped, his entire universe is crushed. The N train pulls into the station and the doors swing open. With a semblance of hope, Danny looks into the train, waiting for Epiphany to exit. A few moments pass and nothing. Danny looks frantically, up and down the train, waiting for her to arrive. More time passes and then a VOICE comes over an intercom system.

VOICE
This is the last call to board for the N. Last call for the N.

Danny starts to walk, about to board the train, when he stops and gives one last look. Still nothing. A hand taps him on the shoulder. Danny swings around hopeful. A YOUNG MALE stands there.

MALE
This the N?

Destroyed, Danny nods slowly. Danny steps aside as the Male boards the train. Shortly after, the doors slam shut, closing Danny off from the train. He stands and watches as the train starts off slowly, but surely picks up more and more speed, pulling away from the track, for the first time without Danny on it. Danny stands on the platform and watches as the train goes further and further down the tunnel, eventually disappearing from his site.

After a few more moments, Danny turns and faces the large Subway map that glows eerily behind him. Slowly, he raises an arm and extends a finger, slowly running it across the map, moving his finger along an imaginary route, going from phantom train to phantom train.
FADE TO BLACK.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

OmegaSlacker

bump..

anyone....anyone....Bueller?
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

cine

Pubrick

under the paving stones.