Miscellaneous trailers

Started by Mel, August 05, 2014, 07:21:23 AM

Mel

Since, I have been posting those in the shoutbox for some time, it could use a thread. I find those trailers interesting or plainly weird. I won't use a BB code for Youtube, since a dozen of videos embedded on a one page is an overkill.

A boy and a girl meet at a custody center for youth with difficulties. The boy has come to serve his obligatory civil service. The girl is one of the youths in custody, and she is constantly in trouble, with a fire inside her and a lust for life that can't be quashed or controlled. The boy becomes infatuated with the girl. He is a quiet one; a stutterer. But there is a fire inside him as well. Rules, laws, punishment; the shackles of the hostile environment with no understanding around them can be broken. They steal a car and flee together. Thus begins a journey with endless escapes.

Spain, 1950s. Monste's agoraphobia keeps her locked in a sinister apartment in Madrid and her only link to reality is the little sister she sacrificed her youth to raise. But one day, a reckless young neighbour, Carlos, falls down the stairwell and drags himself to their door. Someone has entered the shrew's nest... and perhaps he'll never leave.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Mel

Some documentaries:

The film's central story follows a small group of American explorers at Dallas-based oil company Kosmos Energy. Between 2007 and 2011, with unprecedented, independent access, Big Men's two-person crew filmed inside the oil company as Kosmos and its partners discovered and developed the first commercial oil field in Ghana's history. Simultaneously the crew filmed in the swamps of Nigeria's Niger Delta, following the exploits of a militant gang to reveal another side of the economy of oil: people trying to profit in any way possible, because they've given up on waiting for the money to trickle down. So what happens when a group of hungry people discover a massive and exquisitely rare pot of gold in one of the poorest places on earth?

Set against the chaotic backdrop of recent events in the Middle East, Nadav Schirman's THE GREEN PRINCE retraces the details of a highly unprecedented partnership that developed between sworn enemies. In the style of a tense psychological thriller, this extraordinary documentary recounts the true story of the son of a Hamas leader who emerged as one of Israel's prized informants, and the Shin Bet agent who risked his career to protect him.

Mel

(Drama)
This riveting crime thriller follows Oscar, a recent emigrant to Manila who gets pulled into a harrowing world of corruption and violence when he takes a job as an armored car driver to support his family.

(Animation)
A fantastical tale based on true events, about five women of Signe Baumane's family, including herself, and their battles with depression and madness.

Mel

(Horror Comedy)
A one-time (and now one-handed) master film editor toiling in the cinematic sweatshops of 1970s Italy becomes the prime suspect in a series of brutal murders, in this loving tribute to/parody of the gory giallo thrillers of Mario Bava and Dario Argento.

(Bodily Fluid Comedy)
The adventures of an eccentric girl who has strange attitudes towards hygiene and sexuality longs for the reunion of her divorced parents.

polkablues

I sincerely hope that "bodily fluid comedy" does not become a widely-used subgenre.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Just Withnail

Holy shit, after that trailer I think I sincerely hope it does.

Jeremy Blackman

This was my experience of watching that trailer:

"The filthier the toilet, the better."

I'm out.

Axolotl

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 16, 2014, 01:28:33 PM
This was my experience of watching that trailer:

"The filthier the toilet, the better."

I'm out in.

The movie doesn't look that great but that's a great line to put in the trailer because it effectively filters your audience down to those who'll be receptive to the movie. I'm with Just Withnail. Speaking of Withnail, Withnail and I's Bruce Robinson wrote a novel called The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman, parts which this reminds me of. This is from the amazon blurb:
QuotePerhaps the most peculiar aspect of The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman is the author's fascination with every form of bodily excretion. Feces, sputum, semen, earwax--the list is endless. We discover early on that Thomas "from the age of four ... navigated all lavatories and shat himself everywhere else," and the pages that follow detail the boy's obsession with his own fecal matter in terms that are as imaginative as they are repugnant.

Mel

(Documentary)
BARZAN is an intimate portrait of a suburban family ripped apart by a terrorism accusation. Shot both in Iraq and Seattle, this investigative documentary examines terrorism, immigration, and the sacrifices we make to protect the American dream.

(Animation)
SONG OF THE SEA tells the story of Ben and his little sister Saoirse – the last Seal-child – who embark on a fantastic journey across a fading world of ancient legend and magic in an attempt to return to their home by the sea. The film takes inspiration from the mythological Selkies of Irish folklore, who live as seals in the sea but become humans on land.

Mel

(Drama)
Aydin, a former actor, runs a small hotel in central Anatolia with his young wife Nihal with whom he has a stormy relationship and his sister Necla who is suffering from her recent divorce. In winter as the snow begins to fall, the hotel turns into a shelter but also an inescapable place that fuels their animosities...

(Thriller)
Two young orphans in the Tirolian Mountains come under siege by a vicious band of hunters. Frightened of being separated by child services following the death of their mother, a self-sufficient 16-year-old girl (Sophie Lowe) and her 10-year-old brother (Maximilian Harnisch) - who hasn't spoken a word since seeing his father killed by the mayor (Peter Stormare) - strive to live off the land in peace. Their innocence is shattered, however, when a group of hunters led by the mayor's son brutalizes and rapes the free-spirited girl. Later, when a well-meaning social services worker arrives too late to protect the terrorized siblings, the girl and her brother prepare to take a stand against their ruthless attackers.

(Science Fiction)
From the writer/director of INK Jamin Winans comes a mind-bending, genre-bending science fiction mystery.

Mel

(Thriller)
ONE EYED GIRL is a dark thriller about a psychiatrist, haunted by the death of a former patient, who stumbles across a Doomsday cult and struggles to save a teenage girl from its clutches.

(Drama)
Cymbeline unfolds as an epic battle between dirty cops and a drug dealing biker gang set in a corruption-riddled contemporary America. Based on the play of the same name, written by William Shakespeare.

Mel

(Documentary)
On June 12, 1970, Dock Ellis threw a no-hitter for the Pittsburgh Pirates - on LSD. In 137 years of organized professional baseball, it's the only no-hitter of its kind. Dock was often embroiled in controversy on and off the field. While professional baseball hadn't fully embraced racial equality, he was an outspoken leader who lived the expression 'Black is Beautiful!' His fearlessness enabled him to become one of the most intimidating pitchers of the 70's and a trailblazer for a new wave of civil rights. After retiring, Dock became as outspoken about his career-spanning substance abuse issues as he had been about intolerance. He spent decades utilizing his brash approach as a counselor, helping other addicts in their recoveries. Through intimate stories and a trove of archival footage, NO NO: A DOCKUMENTARY brings Dock's vibrant life to light, burnishing the legend and revealing the man behind it.

(Documentary)
The Creeping Garden is a feature length documentary exploring the work of fringe scientists, mycologists and artists, and their relationship with the extraordinary plasmodial slime mould.

(Drama)
IT WAS YOU CHARLIE is a dark comedy-drama that tells the story of a lonely graveyard shift doorman named ABNER, a once-accomplished sculptor and former college art teacher, but now sadly, a mere shadow of his former self. After meeting ZOE, a young, free-spirited taxi driver, something magical happens to Abner as he begins a quest to seek redemption, and reconcile his conflicted past.

(Horror )
In Motivational Growth, Ian Foliver (Adrian DiGiovanni), a depressed and reclusive man in his 30s, finds himself taking advice from a growth in his bathroom after a failed suicide attempt. The Mold ('ReAnimator' star Jeffrey Combs), a smooth talking fungus born of the filth in a neglected bathroom, works to help Ian clean himself up and remodel his lifestyle. The Mold has big plans for Ian, but they may not be as innocent as they seem. A labyrinthine-narrative follows, full of colorfully-drawn characters and gruesome body horror. "The Mold knows, Jack. The Mold knows."

Mel

(Comedy)
Finding Fanny is an off the wall, comical story about a bunch of oddballs who venture out to find Stefanie Fernandes (Fanny); in the process, they discover a strange sense of solace and love amongst each other, and end up seeing a point to their previously pointless lives.

(Western)
Mirage tells the story of an African football player in a small Hungarian town, who commits a crime and has to flee. He finds refuge on a farm deep in the Hungarian flatland. Soon he realizes that the farm is a modern slave camp where he is forced to fight for his freedom and ultimately his life.

(Horror)
Over-imaginative 12 year-old Sam heads off to the woods to summer scout camp with his pack convinced he will encounter a monster...and he does.

max from fearless

A Hungarian Western with Isaac De Bankole in the Clint Eastwood role??? Gimme my gotdammned ticket already!!!

as you read this, i want you to know that i am genuinely not trying to be argumentative or "shit-starting", but this confuses me. how is the contributions to this thread any different than the recommendations i was doing in the 'movies i'd never heard of' thread?

all of these seem to be pretty random, but good quality, and the descriptions are taken from different online sources instead of written by the user. ...which was the main critique of the posts i made upon my return, even suggested that i was 'making fun of the site'. so, i'm not trying to be an asshole, obviously i've been very quiet lately, but what is the difference between this thread and what i was doing that received hating?