Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

Cecil

the video for kelly osbourne's one word is an homage to alphaville. pretty cool song too. and if this has allready been mentioned, fuck you.

tpfkabi

i rented Tout Va Bien this weekend. i see a little Playtime comparison. especially having the factory set cut in half so all rooms can be seen. i'm reminded of the shot in Playtime where the camera is outside of the apartments with large windows. i guess either of these possibly inspired Wes Anderson for The Life Aquatic.

the supermarket shot was pretty interesting. i have never gotten very deep into politics or France in 1972, so i'm sure i missed some important points. i don't think it's a film i would want to watch enough to justify buying it.

how many Godard films have some section where a couple says they like each other's lips, mouth, etc, etc? i know it's definitely in Contempt. i can't remember if it's in Breathless or not.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: bigideashow many Godard films have some section where a couple says they like each other's lips, mouth, etc, etc? i know it's definitely in Contempt. i can't remember if it's in Breathless or not.
There's deffinately something similar:

Michel to Patricia: "Alas, alas, alas! I love a girl with a very pretty nape/neck, very pretty breasts, a very pretty voice, very pretty wrists, a very pretty forehead, very pretty knees... but who is... a cowaaaaard!"

And thanks to those who recommened Contempt.
Loved it, fellas. :yabbse-thumbup:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alethia

by the way, NOTRE MUSIQUE comes to region 1 dvd on may 17...!!

Alethia

Ultrahip

Saw Notre Musique last night. It was quite good-looking and profoundly moving in ways very uncommon in movies, but of course, this is cinema. Anyone else think who saw this think that he filmed Olga like Anna Karina? Maybe it was because I recently watched A Woman Is A Woman but I couldn't stop thinking of Karina when watching Olga.

Alethia

lots of women have gotten that treatment in his films. see passion.

Brazoliange

I just bought his video of Sympathy of the Devil for $2.50
Long live the New Flesh

Gold Trumpet

word on the street: Weekend gets released by New Yorker on June 28th.

tpfkabi

my town's cable actually added TCM.
Les Carabiniers airs June 3rd at 1am Central Time.
i can't wait.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Perineum Falcon

:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:

And my campus may have a showing of Notre Musique this fall!

:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

SoNowThen

FYI to anybody looking to pick up that Aussie version of La Chinoise I posted about a few months back:

they fucking lied. I got the disc in the mail today. No British Sounds. No JLG/JLG. Just a commentary by some "critic".

Motherfuck...

(to be fair -- well, much MORE than fair -- the transfer looks great)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Brazoliange

I really didn't like Sympathy for the Devil, way too random.
Long live the New Flesh

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetword on the street: Weekend gets released by New Yorker on June 28th.

I went and pirated it off a VHS (I normally don't pirate, unless there's no DVD release) so I'm going to keep my eyes open for this.

Hopefully some nice features.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Brazoliange

does Weekend have a big sexual dialogue in the first 10 minutes? I downloaded a version of it but somehow it didn't quite feel like it....
Long live the New Flesh