Mulholland Dr. Explanation?

Started by Xeditor, April 23, 2003, 05:04:36 PM

Cecil

Quote from: budgieI think today is my birthday.

is it? have a happy one

as for mulholland drive and every other lynch film.... i dunno, its easy as pie to me.

Pedro

Maybe it's the whiskey...but this david lynch business freakin me out man.  The door stareted to close by itsself and such.  Weird...And the banner is D'onfrio from Full Metal Jacket...and that's not too pleaseing either.  Those 10 Clues don't mean crap to me except for the ashtrya robe and drink one...those are the only ones i would find use out of.  I have MulDr. figured out though, now.  So it's all good.  
I pulled up behind a Cadillac;
We were waiting for the light;
And I took a look at his license plate-
It said, "Just Ice."
Is justice just ice?
Governed by greed and lust?
Just the strong doing what they can
And the weak suffering what they must?
And the gas leaks
And the oil spills
And sex sells everything
And sex kills ...

Doctors' pills give you brand new ills
And the bills bury you like an avalanche
And lawyers haven't been this popular
Since Robespierre slaughtered half of France!
And Indian chiefs with their old beliefs know
The balance is undone-crazy ions-
You can feel it out in traffic;
Everyone hates everyone!
And the gas leaks
And the oil spills
And sex sells everything
And sex kills ...

Oh and the tragedies in the nurseries-
Little kids packin' guns to school
The ulcerated ozone
These tumors of the skin-
This hostile sun beating down on
This massive mess we're in!
And the gas leaks
And the oil spills
And sex sells everything
And sex kills ...

cachilders

The secret to this, and all other Lynch films, is not to get lost in the details. This is one of his more straightforward flicks. Now, if someone can explain the birdman in Wild at Heart, that would be something I'd like to hear.
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my
dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a
straight razor, and surviving.

phil marlowe

in order to understand mulholland drive you have to think psykological. figure out the caracters out and its, like said, all straightforward.

chainsmoking insomniac

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I LOVE Lynch's films.  Let me also add that I have to train myself to think metaphysically....call me lazy or whatever you want....
But what and the fuck is with that BOX that changes the whole take on the movie? Do you know what I'm talking about? Up until that point, the movie is quite easy to figure out.  But PLEASE explain that box thing.  

Sincerely,

The Moron
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pubrick

Quote from: punchdrunk23But PLEASE explain that box thing.
well, it's like a hole isn't it.

i still think all u need to get is the Club Silencio sequence. that's the dopest part.
under the paving stones.

©brad

indeed. can't remember any other scene in recent memory that sent as many chills down my back as that one.

cachilders

Quote from: punchdrunk23what and the fuck is with that BOX that changes the whole take on the movie?

The box is a symbol for the things that are locked away in order for the fantasy to exist. So, the box is denial. The key is more important.

manvstrees

ok this just KILLS me.
everything you need to know is in the movie.
there is no explanation beyond that.
whatever salon.com article you read is useless.
its supposed to be ambiguous.
you aren't intended to try to figure everything out, so that it makes sense.
just enjoy it.
it makes total sense to me.
but i dont have to know exactly where the aunt went etc.
i think that if you have to try to figure out these little things, you're missing the point.
and it takes away from the movie.
maestro sartori wants a bit of glory...

cowboykurtis

someone give this guy a trophy -- bla bla bla
...your excuses are your own...

manvstrees

Quote from: cowboykurtissomeone give this guy a trophy -- bla bla bla

if you give out trophys for people who are so right that it hurts you down near the colon.......yeh.
you should gimmie one.
maestro sartori wants a bit of glory...

cachilders

Quote from: manvstreeswhatever salon.com article you read is useless.

Which article is that? I agree that the movie contains all of the necessary information, but Lynch has never indicated that his films were meant to be ambiguous. His narratives are certainly odd, but the stories are straightforward and there is intent behind every shot and element. He doesn't confound to confound. Aggressive responses to honest inquiries are useless. It is excellent that you get it, but many people do not.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: P
i still think all u need to get is the Club Silencio sequence. that's the dopest part.

absolutely...it's where it all comes together.

Lynch is great.  the film is very straight forward, but we are so used to our hands being held by the traditional narrative, that when a film comes out that doesn't....we are completely lost.  really, Lost Highway and this film are different spins on the exact same story.

i was reading that when the t.v. execs finally gave mulholland the boot, as a t.v. series, they basically told Lynch that they didn't think audiences were bright enough to get it.  well, if you keep spoon feeding them, they never will be.

i watched mulholland twice before i got it, and then i was embarrassed because it was so obvious.

cachilders

Quote from: Pastor Parsleyreally, Lost Highway and this film are different spins on the exact same story.

Right on. I was telling my wife the same thing a few days ago, but she didn't believe me.

Pastor Parsley

in most films you see the story unfold like you were an observer, watching it all happen.  with Lost highway and mulholland you see the story through the eyes of the main characters.  They don't see the true reality...they see it they way they want to see it....with a little psychosis to make it interesting.  like he says in lost highway "I like to remember things my own way."
SPOILERS
in lost highway, he begins imagining the last half of the film from his prison cell...unable to deal with the reality of what he did.  

in mulholland it's reverse. the first half is a dream, half the way she would have liked it and half reality....the second half is the actual events in a nonlinear format.

it's like lynch either wanted to explore this type of narrative further or he just thought he could do it better.  i think mulholland is more effective than lost highway at what it seemed he was trying to do.  But I loved them both.