Buke and Gase

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 09, 2011, 02:31:50 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I think they deserve a thread.

Watch this and try not to fall in love with them.

matt35mm

Pedro

That's some impressive and challenging stuff.  I really enjoyed it.  How does the performance compare to the records?

Jeremy Blackman

If the album were more consistent, it would have been in my top 3. There are a lot of experiments and throwaway tracks. They put all their best songs in that performance (except Medicina), which is promising, because they know those are their best songs. When they're good, they're amazing.

In terms of sound, the album is almost identical. No additional instruments. (None are needed.) They're sharp performers, so you won't see much difference in their playing or the vocal performance. It's a better mix (obviously), louder where it should be, and the vocals come through better.

RegularKarate

Yeah, I really like this.  I'll have to check out the album.

I love the structure and instrumentation... not so big on her voice, but she still really sells it.

Jeremy Blackman

Medicina is shaping up to be one of my favorites. It's a three-part song (arguably four) delivered in under four minutes, and it totally works. My favorite is part two, in which this line is convincingly sung:

"I stayed here hatin', achin', weepin', hiding my head in my underarms..."

It's funny, people get hung up on the homemade instruments, but I think Arone's voice is one of the highlights of the band. When a unique vocalist works for me, they really work. See also: La Roux...

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 14, 2011, 10:00:43 PM
It's funny, people get hung up on the homemade instruments, but I think Arone's voice is one of the highlights of the band.

I'm not "hung up" on anything, I just think her voice is just kinda so-so.  She does what she can with it, but she doesn't have a naturally expressive voice.

"La Roux"... haha... I loved that album for two months then had to delete it because of how much I hate to hear it now.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 17, 2011, 12:33:40 PMI'm not "hung up" on anything, I just think her voice is just kinda so-so.  She does what she can with it, but she doesn't have a naturally expressive voice.

True. It's a highly affected, somewhat nasally voice... yet it completely works for me. I think she can be very expressive with it, but you're right, it's not really "natural" when that happens.

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 17, 2011, 12:33:40 PM"La Roux"... haha... I loved that album for two months then had to delete it because of how much I hate to hear it now.

I completely understand that, and there was probably a 50% chance of me going the same way.

Re: Getting hung up on the instruments. I meant that it's the main focus of all the news stories on them, and all the interviews, which annoys me to a degree, because I think their songwriting and vocals are more impressive than their sound.

Nevertheless, it's a two-way street, as they say—their homemade instruments probably account for the existence of 90% of those news stories and interviews.

Jeremy Blackman

Their latest album, General Dome, is very good.

It's more consistently challenging and intricate than Riposte. I've had two listens and I feel like there's still a lot more to dig into. Everything is really twisty, and the melodies are often fighting through dissonance. Very interesting stuff.

Favorites so far:

Contortion In Training
Hard Times
Cyclopean
Houdini Crush
Twisting the Lasso of Truth

Jeremy Blackman

No takers? It's a pretty amazing album. Perhaps some filler here and there, and some of the outros are too long, but when it's great it's transcendently great. "Contortion In Training" and "Hard Times" are so so good. A new one I really like is "In the Company of Fish."

Jeremy Blackman

I wish the sound quality were better on this video, but dear lord, I don't think I'm ready for whatever this is.

Following a reinvention, the band promises to release a "flood of material" this year.

Actually, I think I love the song at 37:20.

https://bukeandgase.bandcamp.com/album/arone-vs-aron

QuoteArone vs Arone contains three songs you didn't know Buke & Gase made! Now you do! Released on the occasion of a SOLD OUT tour opening for The National across Europe, it is a brief sampling drawn from 5 years of woodshedding— a band reinvention that has, for the most part, taken place far from the eyes of an audience & the internet.

This is music they made on their way to making the music they're now making. The release is a preparation for the flood of material Buke and Gase hope to release in 2018 — not just an album, albums plural.

How do you get good enough to play Carnegie Hall? As the saying goes: practice practice practice? This EP is a portrait of a band committing their 10,000 hours.

Alethia

I fucking love these guys. Riposte is a regular spin for me.