Gus Van Sant

Started by pilgrim, June 22, 2003, 09:33:52 PM

MacGuffin

'Time' travels with Van Sant
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Gus Van Sant is in negotiations to direct "The Time Traveler's Wife" for New Line Cinema. The studio acquired "Traveler" in 2003 for Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, Brad Grey and Nick Wechsler to produce. New Line said Grey, who took over the reins of Paramount Studios on March 1, remains attached as a producer.

Written by Audrey Niffenegger, a writer and professor of book arts in Chicago, the book is a loose retelling of "The Odyssey." The story centers on a man with a time-traveling gene that allows him to appear to his true love at different points in her life. Jeremy Leven adapted the book. Richard Brener, Cale Boyter and Magnus Kim are shepherding the project for the studio.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

What the hell? That just doesn't sound right.

Pwaybloe

Sounds pretty fascinating to me.  

There's a lot of things Van Sant can play with.  I'm already picturing the possiblities.  

Decipher your woman's lies and truths, threaten pre-existing boyfriends, find out if that kiss with that girl in Panama City was REALLY that innocent, etc.  

This could be really amazing, if you think about it.

SiliasRuby

My favorite one of all the films I've seen of his is now My Own Private Idaho. To Die For is my second favorite now.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

cool foriegn website with trailer for Last Days here... http://www.mk2.com/last_days/site.html
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Why not start a Last Days thread?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinWhy not start a Last Days thread?
Quote from: themodernage02i have a thread starting phobia.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i'm working on it.  but its still a phobia.   :elitist:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

To Die For is fucked up. I loved it.
WWPTAD?

rustinglass

That Last Days website is so awesome!!!! I love it that you can see the reflection of the trees on the TV screen, even while you watch the trailer.
I've got to spread the word on this. Thanks!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

for petes sake

Quote from: socketlevelwhere the hell is elephant, that's his only masterpiece

thought i'd bring this back up.  can we get this added to the poll?

Pubrick

it wasn't out when the poll was created.

and besides, i already wasted my vote on finding forrester. :salute:
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Van Sant: a director in search of a pure cinema

CANNES, France (AFP) - Past Cannes winner Gus Van Sant is a director in search of a pure cinema, which can really show reality as he sees it.

Van Sant, who won the 2003 winner Palme d'Or for his film "Elephant" inspired by the Columbine High School shooting, was here for a new screening of his first film "Mala Noche" about a man in love with an illegal Mexican immigrant.

And he was casting a critical eye on the 1985 film, which is rarely shown, saying: "It looks pretty good, ... (but) when I was watching, it was kind of episodic.

"I never really noticed that before. I was watching so closely last night, because I was trying to analyze it.

"It's an older film but it's nice to be able to show it. 'Mala Noche' is sort of the first part of a trilogy, the second and third one being 'Drugstore Cowboy' and 'My Own Private Idaho.'

"Then, everything changed. 'Even Cowgirls Get The Blues' broke that line up," he told AFP.

"Mala Noche" was adapted from the novel of Walt Curtis, and shot in black and white. It is to get its first public release in France in October.

The 53-year-old director has gone on to build a major career in Hollywood, with films such as the delicious 1995 black comedy "To Die For" with Nicole Kidman, or the 1997 "Good Will Hunting" starring Matt Damon, or the 1998 remake of the Hollywood classic "Pyscho."

"Cinema is sort of an interesting method of recording and playing back. What you record and what you play back can be anything: a scientific experiment, a performance like Liza Minnelli singing, and you can also use it to tell stories, explain visually a story, observe the habitat of the penguins.

"There is so many different ways to use it," Van Sant said.

He said however that he was most interested in experimental or dramatic cinema and often drew his inspiration from novels, rather than documentaries.

But "I do believe that film doesn't need previous mediums to exist. There is a pure form we haven't really got into yet."

"Pure cinema is somehow connected with something you can read in a certain kind of novel, maybe like the Russian novels, where things take a long time," he said.

"When somebody walks across the desert, it can take 15 pages. It's also emulating what I interpret as reality as I see it, a kind of reality, so that whenever we were shooting in the last three movies especially, we were trying to think about how this would actually happen.

"It was an attempt to get away from something that's movie-real, movie-consciousness," he said, adding that films tended to concentrate on the verbal and not on action.

"Maybe because the verbal can be ... absorbing, because we like to hear ourselves talk, we like to hear the human voice. We're not interested in watching ourselves walk. We don't mind watching ourselves walk, but a few steps is enough.

"But in reality, we probably walk longer than we talk."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Filmmaker Gus Van Sant Cited for DUI

Filmmaker Gus Van Sant, whose credits include "Finding Forrester" and "Drugstore Cowboy," has been arrested here on a drunken driving charge, police said.

Sgt. Brian Schmautz, Portland Police Bureau spokesman, said Van Sant, 54, was arrested at 1:48 a.m. Thursday. A breath test showed a blood-alcohol level of 0.19 percent, Schmautz said. That's more than twice the state limit, 0.08 percent.

An officer saw that the headlights on Van Sant's vehicle weren't on, Schmautz said. Van Sant, who lives in Portland, had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech, smelled of alcohol and failed the sobriety tests, Schmautz said.

Calls to his film company seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Van Sant also directed "My Own Private Idaho" and "Good Will Hunting." Several of his films have been set in Oregon, including "Elephant," about a high-school shooting, which won the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival in 2003. He has been filming "Paranoid Park" in and around the city.

Skeleton FilmWorks