Favorite Music Videos

Started by BonBon85, January 22, 2003, 05:13:32 PM

hedwig

OrHowILearnedTo

The Dead Weather - Treat Me Like Your Mother
dir. by Jonathan Glazer

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Not so into the song, but the video is pretty awesome.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

coldplay took the same idea into crazy extravagance:

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on October 06, 2009, 11:28:17 AM
coldplay took the same idea into crazy extravagance:

it's weird, i am amazed by the imagination of lower-budget stuff like the Oren Lavie video, but when i see a huge band do the same thing my mind switches to cynical: i can't believe they would actually do it the hard way. so i set out to find some proof that coldplay (as i like to call him) was only there for a minute to get into the right positions and costumes and the geniuses at Shynola would do the rest over several painstaking days.. it didn't take long to be proven wrong, here's a short quote about the process, for anyone interested:

Talk us through how you created the video.
... The drawing was incredibly laborious. By the end, the tips of my fingers were all numb and I had worn a weird dent into one finger. They still feel a little odd now, weeks later. However, our discomfort was nothing compared to the uncomfortable poses we made Chris Martin hold for long tortuous minutes. He has pretty good core body strength - imagine having to stay straight as an arrow, balanced on a small skateboard at your waist... It was all pretty nerve-wracking. Shynola has always been 4 people, but late last year our friend and colleague Gideon died suddenly after contracting a virus. So now we are 3 and not so sure of ourselves anymore. On top of that, we hadn't made a music video in 4 years. So here we were, rusty, plunging into a technically difficult shoot, one man down, and it's for the biggest band on the planet! Luckily, we had a great producer, and the label seemed more confident than us that everything would be great. And, as it happened, it was.

and here's an excellent article on the technique, their influences, and the ensuing controversy surrounding claims of plagiarism (must be a coldplay thing).
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I can't even believe the controversy, it's so stupid.  The video [Andy J Gallagher - Something Else] isn't terrible, but it suffers from the same problems of "Her Morning Elegance," there isn't really a story just a gimmick.  Shynola really knows how to make something work, and their Coldplay video really works.  Except for the song, but whaddyagonnado?

None of them have anything on , though.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

The Perineum Falcon

Dylan's just in time for the Christmas!

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

picolas

gad he's so feeble.. looks like a nightmare sequence from I'm Not There.

picolas

oh btw, everything this man does is pretty much genius:

http://keithschofield.com/#

i cannot stop watching the "let love rule" video.

Stefen

I watched it once. Don't really feel the need to watch it again.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I watched it once, will watch it many more times.

Also, I hadn't seen much of the other work which I liked, but I had seen the SFW XXX on somethingawful, but at the time I didn't know who made it.  Now I know.

hedwig

polkablues

Quote from: picolas on November 20, 2009, 02:00:54 PM
oh btw, everything this man does is pretty much genius:

http://keithschofield.com/#

i cannot stop watching the "let love rule" video.

Ah, so your new av is not actually Casey Affleck dressed as Marty McFly for some reason.
My house, my rules, my coffee

The Perineum Falcon

the new OK Go video is pretty neat:

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.