"gimme back . my son"(and other classic 1-liners)

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 12, 2003, 10:03:54 PM

Find Your Magali

Quote from: aclockworkjj"johnny 5 is alive!!!"

No you didn't!

Oh, I can't believe you brought that up. ... It's straight back to therapy for me on Monday.  :(

Alethia

"I don't know about this beaming stuff, is it safe?"
"Oh yes sir, Snotty beamed me twice last night....It was wonderful."

Gamblour.

"Samsonite! I was way off!"

"Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!"

"Do you read me? The LIST is in the OPEN!"

"Don't just stare at it, eat it."

-What knockers!
-Oh, vell zank you, doctor.
WWPTAD?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Find Your MagaliOh, I can't believe you brought that up. ... It's straight back to therapy for me on Monday.  :(
ask them:

"why, is it snowin' in my closet???!!!!"

NEON MERCURY

"smooth as sh*t from a duck's ass"...lost higway

Slick Shoes

freakerdude

It's people.....Soylent Green is made out of people!

Say hello to my little friend!

LET'S F&@k! I'LL F&@k ANYTHING THAT MOVES....Mwahahahahaha

Son, you've got a panty on your head.
MC Pee Pants

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

coffeebeetle

QuoteOh, and Ghostbusters:

"The flowers are still standing!"

"When a (forgot character name) asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"

"Gotta run!  Got a date with a ghost!"
"I've been slimed!"
"That's a big Twinkie"

Fuckin-A that movie is great.

Sobchek: "I don't drive, I don't work [etc. etc]..and I sure as shit don't fucking roll!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Sleuth"I'm just so tired of all of these Star Wars"

the stowaway aboard the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars

I must have missed this thread a long time ago, but this made me laugh quite a bit.  I also loved him in Out of Africa.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

AFI Ranks Top Movie Quotes

Frankly, my dear, even those who have never seen Gone with the Wind can still identify Rhett Butler's final words to Scarlett O'Hara.

The level of instantaneous recognition inspired by Clark Gable's final line to Vivien Leigh--"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"--led the American Film Institute to deem it number one on its list of the top 100 movie quotes.

The listmakers extraordinaire over at the AFI revealed the latest compilation in their 100 Years series--100 Movie Quotes: America's Greatest Quips, Comebacks and Catchphrases--in a three-hour CBS television special Tuesday hosted by Pierce Brosnan.

The winning lines were selected by 1,500 jurors from a list of 400 nominees. Voting criteria included a nominated quote's cultural impact on the national lexicon and whether it was used to invoke the legacy of the film in which it appeared.

In close contention for the top spot on the list were two of Marlon Brando's most famous lines--"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," from 1972's The Godfather and "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am," from 1954's On the Waterfront--which finished second and third, respectively.

In fourth place was Judy Garland's naive proclamation to her loyal canine in 1939's The Wizard of Oz: "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

Humphrey Bogart's remark to Ingrid Bergman in 1942's Casablanca, "Here's looking at you, kid," was looking at fifth place on the list, but was one of six quotes overall chosen from the film. Others included Bogart's "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" (20th), "We'll always have Paris" (43rd), "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine" (67), and Bergman's "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By' " (28th).

Gone with the Wind also had multiple entries in the top 100. Leigh's "After all, tomorrow is another day" made the list at number 31, and her "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again" was number 59.

The earliest quote was Al Jolson's "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet," (71st) from 1927's The Jazz Singer. The most recent was Andy Serkis' "My precious," (85th) from 2002's The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Numerous sci-fi films inspired list-making quotes, including Harrison Ford's "May the Force be with you" (8th) from 1977's Star Wars, Arnold Schwarzenegger's "I'll be back" (37) from The Terminator and a certain friendly alien's insistence that "E.T. phone home," (15th) from 1982's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.

On the lighter side, John Belushi's exclamations of "Toga! Toga!" from 1978's Animal House made the list at number 82, while Cuba Gooding Jr.'s rallying cry of "Show me the money!" from 1996's Jerry Maguire placed 25th on the list.

Then there were the lines that inspired fear in the hearts of all but the most intrepid moviegoers, such as Jack Nicholson's "Here's Johnny!" (68th) from 1980's The Shining, and Haley Joel Osment's "I see dead people," from 1999's The Sixth Sense (44th).

Patrick Swayze's solemn declaration that "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," from 1987's Dirty Dancing squeaked onto the list at number 98 and Margaret Hamilton's witchy vow, "I''ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!" from The Wizard of Oz came in at number 99.

Rounding out the top 100 was Leonardo DiCaprio's passionate shout-out from 1997's Titanic: "I'm king of the world!" (And, please, let that be the last we hear of it.)

The complete list of 100 Movie Quotes: America's Greatest Quips, Comebacks and Catchphrases can be viewed at www.afi.com.

Here's a rundown of the top 25 most memorable movie quotes as determined by the AFI:

1. "Frankly, my dear, I donĂ¢€™t give a damn." Gone with the Wind, 1939
2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather, 1972
3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." On the Waterfront, 1954
4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." The Wizard of Oz, 1939
5. "Here's looking at you, kid." Casablanca, 1942
6. "Go ahead, make my day." Sudden Impact, 1983
7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Sunset Boulevard., 1950
8. "May the Force be with you." Star Wars, 1977
9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." All About Eve, 1950
10. "You talking to me?" Taxi Driver, 1976
11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke, 1967
12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now, 1979
13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Love Story, 1970
14. "The stuff that dreams are made of." The Maltese Falcon, 1941
15. "E.T. phone home." E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, 1982
16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!" In the Heat of the Night, 1967
17. "Rosebud." Citizen Kane, 1941
18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" White Heat, 1949
19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Network, 1976
20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Casablanca, 1942
21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." The Silence of the Lambs, 1991
22. "Bond. James Bond." Dr. No, 1962
23. "There's no place like home." The Wizard of Oz, 1939
24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small." Sunset Boulevard, 1950
25. "Show me the money!" Jerry Maguire, 1996
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

just read the whole list. wow, no Pulp Fiction lines. too many old ppl voted on this.

INVALIDATED
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrickjust read the whole list. wow, no Pulp Fiction lines. too many old ppl voted on this.

INVALIDATED

Agreed.  I knew it was going to be a rough ride right at the beginning of that show when I saw this:

99. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!", "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

98. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," "Dirty Dancing," 1987.

They're kidding, right?  And Who's on First, one of the best known routines in comedy history, is # 91!

Pwaybloe

Pas

I reckon Bond, James Bond is much more household than "They call me Mister Tibbs!"