Do You Hate "Big Fat Greek Wedding"?

Started by SoNowThen, May 12, 2003, 06:19:22 PM

cine

Quote from: themodernage02http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/connie_and_carla/
Well, it's official. Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon are furiously rolling in their graves.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: themodernage02http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/connie_and_carla/
Well, it's official. Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon are rolling in their graves.

Quote from: hacksparrow, in a different thread,SOME LIKE IT HOT!!!!! BUT IN REVERSE!!!!! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=402&start=105

Billy Wilder's estate really should sue.

My girlfriend and I saw MBFGW on recommendation from my mother (whose opinion I should have discounted after she came back from "The Royal Tenenbaums" saying she almost walked out).  This one is neck-and-neck with LIE as most overrated film ever.  

A bunch of ugly stereotypes and unfunny circumstances (my girlfriend was crying halfway through because her father is like the father in the movie, only my girlfriend's father is a humorless, racist Spaniard who would never let me marry his daughter without disowning her) with Acute "Friends" Syndrome (symptoms include saying unfunny things with funny inflections to give off the illusion of it being a joke).  I've seen less funny comedies but none that tried so hard to be funny and failed.

El Duderino

i finally saw 'greek wedding' and thought it was awful...dunno what all the hype was about
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Chest Rockwell

I saw this a while ago and didn't like it at all. It was slightly humorous at parts (albeit not many, though), but it was the same sort of humor that 'graced' movies like Gone Fishin' et al, and therefore not really that original. During that one scene when the lady was on the phone and the guy walked in, I was praying that there wouldn't be a bit of her freaking out and then leaving the phone on her so that when she does freak out the cord jerks her back. Of course it DID happen. Nothing special about this at all. I hate that it received so much hype and stuff.

cine

I hate that it received so much hate. Give the movie a break - some films are fun romantic comedies and this was one of them. At least give Nia Vardalos the credit she deserves this time because I don't think she'll ever deserve it again.

Chest Rockwell

Yea, it was fun, I guess. But it didn't affect me like other 'fun' films, therefore I'm reluctant to give it any credit.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: CinephileI hate that it received so much hate. Give the movie a break - some films are fun romantic comedies and this was one of them. At least give Nia Vardalos the credit she deserves this time because I don't think she'll ever deserve it again.

What credit does she deserve?  Don't get me wrong; I'm happy as hell for her because most actresses don't get overnight success like that unless they're prime Maxim material, so it's great to see someone that doesn't look like Barbie to get some recognition for once. But the movie was thoroughly mediocre, so what credit does she deserve that the writers of, for example, What Women Want or Just Married wouldn't deserve as well?

cine

Before I continue, allow me to remind you that I have a Canadian bias.  :wink:

I won't give you any credit on the Just Married comment but the What Women Want, yes I will. Vardalos was able to write a nice, sweet script that Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks took enough interest in putting their money into (since they knew each other), so for her efforts as a screenwriter/performer for this film, I give her credit. But as you know, Connie and Carla.. I won't give her any credit for. In fact, I know I will hate everything about that movie.

El Duderino

In fact, I know I will hate everything about that movie.

me too.

Weak2ndAct

I ponder the question whether or not I should see this movie with as much weight and consideration as I would give someone if they offered to hit me in the crotch with a football.  I know the results.

cine

Quote from: Weak2ndActI ponder the question whether or not I should see this movie with as much weight and consideration as I would give someone if they offered to hit me in the crotch with a football.  I know the results.
Yeah, but the difference is that after you see it this movie, people won't  call you 'numb nuts.'

El Duderino

Yeah, but the difference is that after you see it this movie, people won't  call you 'numb nuts.'

sorry, i gotta do it again.......buh-dum bum

Pubrick

Quote from: El Duderino

sorry, i gotta do it again.......buh-dum bum
please stop that.
under the paving stones.

El Duderino

Pubrick

i'd just  like u to try REALLY HARD to NOT reply to this. i know it hurts, u just want to reply and reply and say COOL or YEAH, i know how it feels, we've all been through that. i'd like to help u get over it and possibly advance past the latest overposting sensation, into sumthing tolerable.
under the paving stones.